The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 PM

Default Assessing damage inside guitar body

This past weekend, I was at a backyard jam, walking around with my Martin 000-15sm slung around my chest, and as I was walking through a gate, bumped the top of the guitar into a metal prong. It was dark, and judging by the cracking sound, I expected there to be a hole in the top.

Much to my surprise, there is only a slight gouge that's barely visible. It's on the lower bout, close to the edge. But given the sound I heard, I'm worried about invisible damage, for example a brace that might have separated or cracked from the top being pushed inward during the impact. Maybe there's nothing, but I'd like to know.

I'm planning to take the guitar for a quick inspection to my repair shop. I assume they would have one of those snakey-type cameras for this kind of inspection? And how much should I expect to pay?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-12-2014, 12:50 PM

You can take a look through the soundhole with a flashlight and inspection mirror, I suspect that a brace popped loose. It should be pretty easy to spot, fixing it is not so easy. A competent repair person should have no trouble regluing a brace, but it's not something you can DIY.
et al
Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Default Interior inspection

A flashlight and mirror is the best method. Fixing a brace can be a DIY if you know what you're doing and have the tools, usually a deep throated clamp.

But it's best to let a pro do it in case there's other damage that you might not pick up on, say some separation between the top and kerfing. That would be something that would be beyond most DIY ers.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

A while back I shared an eBay find I made for a fantastic little $15 USB borecam LED-lighted inspection microscope.

Bore Cam review with photos can be read HERE

A less featured, but free, solution is an Android app called SmartCam: This is a PC app that lets you view your Android smartphone's camera over your Wifi network.

SmartCam App in the Google Play Store

The image quality depends on your phone's camera, and is reduced by the limitations of WiFi streaming but it is totally usable.

To use this, you need to install the app on your smartphone. You need to install the PC client. Then, you configure them to connect over WiFi (which is very easy).

To use this, you run both and then the PC app's window will be displaying the camera from your Smartphone. You can record and make screen captures on the PC.

You should turn on your camera's light (using another free app called Flashlight) or place a bright flahlight inside.
It is awkward to hold your phone just right inside your guitar but it can be done, and looking at the soundboard's underside and braces is easy.

I won't include pictures here but make a recommendation:

If you want a free way to inspect your braces or take a look inside your acoustic guitar, SmartCam is a quick and dirty tool.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
A while back I shared an eBay find I made for a fantastic little $15 USB borecam LED-lighted inspection microscope.

Bore Cam review with photos can be read HERE
You are a wealth of useful information sir! Thanks I will order me one of these lil things.

EDIT: I couldn't stand it I had to order one of these... should be here in the next couple weeks... Woots

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard

Last edited by Kip Carter; 08-12-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Order the camera
Old 08-12-2014, 02:17 PM

Your local pharmacy probably sells a cheap plastic dental kit with a mirror you can use while you're waiting for a better tool to arrive.
It'll get you going.
You can also even use a hat with an LED or even a Gooseneck flashlight.
Good luck!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Daniel, how much it'll cost will depend on whether the brace is broken or merely popped loose. Neither is considered a major repair, but braces that have popped loose are a piece of cake: they just get glued and clamped back down. If the brace is broken, depending on where and how it's broken (and in how many places,) the repair work will necessarily be more complex.

I expect that the repair costs will be in the $50-$150 range, depending on how bad the damage is.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-12-2014, 02:34 PM

To the OP:

Do you know for sure that you've cracked a brace? I would recommend taking it to luthier but here's something you could try.

Start on the low E and play open/1st/2nd/3rd/etc frets all the way up and then repeat on each string. Often a cracked brace will show itself with a sympathetic vibration/tone at a certain note.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 08-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Press on the soundboard with your thumb in the area of the dent. If there's a loose/cracked brace, chances are you'll be able to hear some crunchy noises.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:07 PM

Thank you all! To clarify: There is no evidence of any damage at this point. The guitar feels and sounds totally fine. I'm just being paranoid about possible brace damage because of the intensity of the cracking sound I heard when I ran into the obstacle, which is in sharp contrast to the barely visible dent on the top.

When I asked about cost, I was wondering about the cost of the inspection, not any potential repairs.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-12-2014, 05:58 PM

When I did repairs, there was no charge for the inspection.

The most reliable ways to find a loose brace, BTW, do not involve looking in mirrors or cameras. They are by tapping, and by feeling with a thin spatula.

If your guitar sounds fine and nothing is distorting, relax and play it.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 PM

Update: Took the guitar to the shop and the tech issued a clean bill of health after cheking it out with a mirror and a light. No charge.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-12-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Update: Took the guitar to the shop and the tech issued a clean bill of health after cheking it out with a mirror and a light. No charge.
I love the no charge trips..
Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Yay!

Must be a good guitar if it could amplify a minor ding into sounding like a hole in the top

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion