The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 PM

Default Use effects with your acoustic?

Just curious how many people use effects or mfx units live with their acoustics. I have a Line 6 Helix that I used when I had an electric, but I'm thinking of selling it to fund another acoustic. Before I do, I'm curious to find out how people are using units like this, specifically for leading worship, or that type of environment.

I already have a good preamp (para di), so I don't need the Helix for that.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
Just curious how many people use effects or mfx units live with their acoustics. I have a Line 6 Helix that I used when I had an electric, but I'm thinking of selling it to fund another acoustic. Before I do, I'm curious to find out how people are using units like this, specifically for leading worship, or that type of environment.

I already have a good preamp (para di), so I don't need the Helix for that.
I use effects sparingly. I prefer the pure sound of great guitar tone. Effects can water it down. I use a little delay on some songs when I want the repeats to match the tempo. I usually use a touch of reverb and I have a compressor on my Fishman Platinum Pro Preamp although that may not what you mean by effects. I also have a boss waza chorus tha I use on purple rain or Stairway to heaven. So for me, effects are more of a speciality tool used sparingly.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 AM
Guest4562

A bit of reverb and occasional chorus.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:16 AM

I use a bit of reverb, a graphic equaliser, a chorus pedal (dialled right back so it's VERY subtle) and a loop pedal (which I don't use as a loop pedal - I have some effects tracks loaded on it to play in for a couple of songs). I also have a tuning pedal (which, of course, doesn't do anything for the sound, apart for ensuring that it's in tune).

Having said that, often I play acoustic and when I DO plug in I mostly use just a bit of reverb and the subtle chorus effect.

(I sold the wah-wah and fuzz box some years ago!)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:49 AM

Interesting question for me, this....

I have relatively little experience of playing 'plugged in' with most if my performing being either acoustic or through external mics straight into a desk.

But recently I bought a Marshall AS50D amp for doing little solo performances where I need a bit of amplification. I like it but have noticed the following:
The amp has chorus and reverb which are quite flexible / adjustable. BUT, the effects are turned on or off by the push of a little button. I have noticed that as soon as I turn then on, the guitar immediately sounds more processed, compressed and 'electric' in tone. It has less colour and resonance, even with the effects dialled right back.

Is this a typical effect of processing your signal through any kind of effects or would this be different going through, say a high quality reverb pedal? I would be interested to now what people think. Hope I am not hijacking the thread!

I am tending to just skip all the effects in order to keep a bit more acoustic tone to the sound at present.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
Interesting question for me, this....

I have relatively little experience of playing 'plugged in' with most if my performing being either acoustic or through external mics straight into a desk.

But recently I bought a Marshall AS50D amp for doing little solo performances where I need a bit of amplification. I like it but have noticed the following:
The amp has chorus and reverb which are quite flexible / adjustable. BUT, the effects are turned on or off by the push of a little button. I have noticed that as soon as I turn then on, the guitar immediately sounds more processed, compressed and 'electric' in tone. It has less colour and resonance, even with the effects dialled right back.

Is this a typical effect of processing your signal through any kind of effects or would this be different going through, say a high quality reverb pedal? I would be interested to now what people think. Hope I am not hijacking the thread!

I am tending to just skip all the effects in order to keep a bit more acoustic tone to the sound at present.
No, this is a result of low quality A/D and D/A converters that such amp would have and that your signal runs through as soon as the effects section is engaged. High quality effect units don't degrade your tone like that.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:40 AM

That is very helpful to know, Marihino. Thanks. In general I really like the amp without the effects engaged so still pleased with the (used) purchase!

So in answer to the OP - I don't currently use any effects but, with the right quality kit, my preference would be for a touch of reverb.

I also saw a great folk trio play recently in which the acoustic guitarist made great use of what I thought to be some kind of octave pedal that produced an extra fullness in bass. It was great for driving Celtic tunes. I wouldn't mind a bit of that in my set-up sometime! :-)
Old 09-14-2017, 04:05 AM

I have tried a mfx unit with acoustic and can't seem to get useable tones that are pleasing to my ears. In church on Sunday mornings, I do use a small pedal board that has (in order) a boost pedal, tuner, delay/echo/chorus (which I use as a delay), chorus, and reverb. I use a room reverb setting.

I have a larger pedal board that I use for concert-type performances and find a compressor to be a useful effect as well.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:38 AM

Nada. Even all the years I played a '58 Tele I only ever used a little slapback echo. On acoustics (and mandolins) I use single coil magnetic pickups though which allows me to use the amp knobs to dial in sounds I want.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:09 AM

Default Effects

Effects and gadgets are the reason I don't play electric. I just want to play, not spend all my time diddling with settings and trying to figure out what part of my pedal train is causing that buzz.

A bit of chorus and/or reverb the few times I play amped is more than sufficient.

And yeah, I do know that I'm a dinosaur and heartily embrace it.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:24 AM

Since I play in a duet, there are opportunities to use tremolo, reverb and chorus to enhance the musical presentation but I do it sparingly.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-14-2017, 07:33 AM

I'm not an acoustic purist and I don't attempt to be. For my creative side, every song has a voice. Some songs I use effects and others I don't. Some use it sparingly and others a little heavier. Some songs I use a looper and the melody I play over it will sometimes be heavily processed. Some songs I use a pic, some songs I don't. Some songs I use a capo or alternative tunings, it's all music. When I write lyrics, I don't write about one subject, I don't play my guitar that way either.

I have a number of effect pedals, I don't put them all on my pedal board at one time. The ones that seem to stay on there the longest is a Zoom A3, HOF reverb and a looper. I'm thinking of getting an e-bow to see what I can do with that, it could be fun.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 09-14-2017, 08:34 AM

I practice only so i usually play a breedlove cut away or a Taylor T5. When playing the Breedlove i never use an amp or effects since i play in a relatively small room. When using the T5 i always plug in and use a Zoom A3. Fantastic little box and it makes the T5 sound sooo much nicer.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:11 AM

If you are also a vocalist do yourself a favor and check out the TC Helicon 'Acoustic Play'. I've used one in our duo for a couple of years. It's a nice small box that adds real warmth to both vocals and guitar with a wide array of well done effects. I use them very sparingly but greatly appreciate that they are all easily available when I want them. I have fallen in love with the tone that the "Body Rez" eq gives to my Taylor.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Pedal tuner is pretty important to me (I have on-board tuners for two of my three A/E, but still). I'm still looking for the right reverb, and I would love to add a digital delay soon. But my other toy that I love is an Electro Harmonix Micro POG. Octave up and octave down, I can play bass or simulate 12-string. I wish I'd waited and gotten the POG2, which has just a few more widgets for just a bit more money.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification