The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 PM

Default New Martin and Anthem Issue

Hi all. Got an issue and was wondering if anyone has run across this before. I just received a new D-35e. I’m running it into a Touchmix 8 to a Bose L1 Model II. I was hearing a light static sound every so often from the Bose. It was very similar to the sound you hear when you unplug and forget to mute. Eventually I was able to reproduce it. Here’s a short video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1ocw6m9dp...Noise.mov?dl=0

Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this before? Any solutions? Martin had no idea and suggested I call Baggs and I will tomorrow.

Last edited by robj61; 12-11-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 PM

Static discharge?

Is it dry in that room?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 PM

No. Humidity is kept at 50%. No other acoustic I own does it or has ever done it.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

could be a defective unit. i would contact LR baggs support they will send you a new one
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 AM

I have the same issue with the harnesses on both my M80 pickups, though it could also be a broken cable to plug solder joint in your cable.

Try wrapping your cable around the end of your strap to take the free hanging weight of the cable off the plug. That’s what works for me.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:58 PM

I spoke with Baggs. They said that they have heard of this before and it happens with “certain finishes”. I found that kinda odd. It’s just a regular Martin, nothing special that I know of in the finish. Their solution is to separate the cables that run along the top to the control box. They are going to send me a couple of the self sticking wire clips. Not sure what to make of all this, but will certainly give it a try.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=robj61;5565967]Hi all. Got an issue and was wondering if anyone has run across this before. I just received a new D-35e. I’m running it into a Touchmix 8 to a Bose L1 Model II. I was hearing a light static sound every so often from the Bose. It was very similar to the sound you hear when you unplug and forget to mute. Eventually I was able to reproduce it. Here’s a short video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1ocw6m9dp...Noise.mov?dl=0

After watching the video I remembered basic science class with the wool cloth & plastic dowel........

HE

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 12-13-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. I just dropped off a Martin D18 with my luthier to have a Baggs Anthem installed. He mentioned he had some problems with the 'preamp' before. I didn't think maybe this was related.

I have Anthems in (2) Collings OM's and both have been dead quiet and flawless for a couple years or more since I got them.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-12-2017, 05:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

I take it all back: That’s a static discharge without a doubt, after watching the video.

A first time for everything, right?

HE
Old 12-13-2017, 03:52 PM

Change your shirt?

In all seriousness it seems like a static electricity issue. Separating the cables may well fix it. But, clothes that go in the dryer will have static cling. Try a dryer sheet on your next load of laundry. Also, try a grounding strip, or touch metal to discharge before you play. Just because the house is humidified doesn't mean you wont have an abundance of static electricity.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

I had this once from a brand new Anthem equipped Martin, it did it a couple of times and then never again...
Old 12-18-2017, 02:05 PM

Well I think I have it all sorted out now. Baggs recommendation of separating the wires seems to have done the trick. Either Baggs or I assume Martin had braided all the wires together to run across the top of the guitar to the controller at the sound hole. I guess they did this for aesthetics. So glad to have this fixed. No issues now and can play it plugged in. Gonna contact Martin and let them know. Hopefully they can find a better way to run the wires.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj61 View Post
Well I think I have it all sorted out now. Baggs recommendation of separating the wires seems to have done the trick. Either Baggs or I assume Martin had braided all the wires together to run across the top of the guitar to the controller at the sound hole. I guess they did this for aesthetics. So glad to have this fixed. No issues now and can play it plugged in. Gonna contact Martin and let them know. Hopefully they can find a better way to run the wires.

As former(10+ years) LR Baggs tech support, I can assure you that they do not perform factory installation for builders/manufacturers. I’m familiar with the static issues and can offer a bit of insight.

The static is most likely coming from the output lead. To confirm, unplug the output lead from the Anthem preamp/control unit and connect the now disconnected output harness to your amp, powered on. If the static appears, it’s being transferred into the output lead after the preamp/control unit.

Separating the wires should help but I’d also recommend using wire clips to try to both reroute the wire away from where your picking/strumming arm rubs on the body as well as to hold said wire away from the soundboard as well as you can.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-StringSamurai View Post
As former(10+ years) LR Baggs tech support, I can assure you that they do not perform factory installation for builders/manufacturers. I’m familiar with the static issues and can offer a bit of insight.

The static is most likely coming from the output lead. To confirm, unplug the output lead from the Anthem preamp/control unit and connect the now disconnected output harness to your amp, powered on. If the static appears, it’s being transferred into the output lead after the preamp/control unit.

Separating the wires should help but I’d also recommend using wire clips to try to both reroute the wire away from where your picking/strumming arm rubs on the body as well as to hold said wire away from the soundboard as well as you can.

As someone in the “know”, do you have any observations regarding the acoustical impact (degradation) of the Anthem system in an acoustic guitar? It’s a hotly debated topic with options from no acoustic change to drastic acoustic change. I’m curious what LR Baggs’ testing or position would be on this issue.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-StringSamurai View Post
Thanks. That’s exactly what we did yesterday and it worked great last night. No issues at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification