The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-24-2016, 01:40 PM

Default Virtual luthiery

I thought I'd bring CGI to the world of guitar making. Thoughts?
http://youtu.be/648khRoK-0k

Last edited by SusieG; 01-24-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: YouTube link failed
Old 01-24-2016, 03:07 PM

5:25 to get to the guitar.

I prefer to use my imagination.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'll be the first to admit ignorance to how to use CAD stuff to its full potential. The mock up guitar looked nice. I guess that if you could just plug in shots of wood into a basic model and visualize a bunch of different possibilities, then it could be useful. I look forward to seeing the final rendering. Even though they're not seen in the video, it sounds like you included bracing and everything internal, but why? Do you see a functionality to this design that's more than an exterior aesthetic? Will you be using the CAD file to mill out pieces on a CNC mill? Just curious.

Several points about the proposed guitar:

Walnut makes a fine neck. I have never had a displeasing experience when matching the neck with the body.

While it's true that some falls cause terrible damage when landing on the endpin, but (other repairmen can chime in) the majority of the cracks I repair are when the guitar falls on an unsupported side. It appears that the bottom of the guitar before the recess would leave the sides unsupported at its lowest point (unless there's an internal block not shown).

I would reinforce the strap button in the upper bout with a substantial block internally. You probably will, but thought it should be mentioned.

The upward sweep of the bridge - will that be supported inside? Does it fall over the X-brace. My experience with a bridge shape like that is that it can deform the top under it because of the torque on the front side of the bridge. Just food for thought.

Good luck

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 01-24-2016, 04:43 PM

Thanks Ryan
I hadn't planned on using CNC but I guess in theory it's possible. I was just using full modelling so I have plans for every component.
Both strap buttons have blocks behind them, but at the moment the tail protrusions aren't fully supported by a block - I should probably widen the block.
The upper sweep of the bridge crosses the x brace at the point where a finger brace extends out to the waist so I'd hope that should give sufficient support.
In the final video you should hopefully get a better idea of the internals.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Hi Susie G - I'm impressed!

Although I'm an old traditionalist and guitars look like Martins or Gibsons to me I admire your ambition, and design.

The recessed end pin/block has been done before - check out the Daion Caribou designs, however they are long out of business now so I doubt there are any patent issues.

Regarding the placement of the front guitar strap - there is quite a radical bend on the upper bout shoulder and a screw into that might be extra stress for the side ??

I put mine in the end of the heel which most guitar makers deplore but it gives a great balance. I wonder whether it might be an idea for your guitar?

How/where are you planing to build your guitar?
Old 01-25-2016, 12:44 PM

There's a block behind the upper strap button, so should be ok.
This is a home build - in my garage workshop and in my conservatory.
Thanks for the Daion Caribou tip - I thought I'd a vague memory of something similar but couldn't place it.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Interesting design. With the end pin recessed behind a protrusion, I'd be worried about being able to keep a strap on. The protrusion will cause the strap to want to pull itself off of the button.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:04 PM

Schaller straplocks are what I've modelled in the video

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop