The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2012, 03:25 PM

Full-size classical fretboards can be intimidating. (Took me a while to get a grip on it, so to speak.) But 3/4-size and 1/2-size classicals aren't exactly rare, and they don't tend to cost a whole lot.

ETA: Is it possible to take her to a store or three so she can try out a bunch of guitars? Maybe with dinner and cocktails as part of the trip, so it can seem more birthday-celebrationy, if that's an issue.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM

thomastik series s strings are hybrid strings designed for classical but they are ball end and thin and will fit to an acoustic and they sound pretty good
on the downside they cost 30$
http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/c...-87/kr116-442/
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM

I tried it on a couple of different guitars and the acoustic results were abysmal, to say the least. The tops on steel string guitars are braced for the tension of steel strings. Nylon strings simply didn't have enough tension to drive the tops and the guitar sounded like it was stuffed full of feathers.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 09-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

"Any problem stringing nylon strings to acoustic guitar"

Just a technicality, but a nylon-string classical guitar is an acoustic guitar, too!
-Bob
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieu1811 View Post
Hi,

My female friend wants to get a small guitar as a birthday present to get started, preferably nylon strings to reduce the finger pain.

I spotted a decent small size acoustic guitar at nearby store. It has normal bridge pin bridge, and tuner set, which one of the store owner said it might be difficult to string nylon string in the bridge pin. The store owner next door said we just need to tie a knot at the end of the nylon strings under the bridge pin.

So i would like to know can it be done, and does it affect set-up, intonation, tonewise?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I need to finalize by tomorrow.
Get her a decent guitar, preferrably steel string unless she really wants to play classical. That old canard about "easier to play" is a leftover from the days when inexpensive steel string guitars sucked.

Now you can get her a decent steel string with a MUCH more manageable neck than a classical, put super light strings on it, set it up and she will thank you forever.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Dadarrio makes a folk set- combination of black nylon and wrapped strings- which work ok on folk guitars -and for newbys.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:29 AM

Don't waste the money, get a proper classical guitar.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 AM

Thanks for all the reply.

I've decided to get the decent small size body at local guitar shop i found ( a baby Ayers) and stick with steel string instead of playing with nylon. Decent tonewise, set-up and visual currently.
I saw some small 3/4 classical guitar but those were not satisfying enough both tonewise and visual.

I have tweaked the truss rod to lower the tension, sand down some saddle, and probably will lower 1/2 tune for her. Hopefully it will be ok for her.

Thanks guy for the great help

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion