The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Musical minimalist

Default David Wilcox show in Boulder last night...

I've seen David somewhere between 15 and 20 times over the last 20 years in venues in many different cities and states. I ALWAYS leave thinking he is an other-wordly talent.

But last night, for the Boulder crowd at Chataqua Auditorium (a packed crowd in a venue that's probably one of the larger he plays) he was an artist who showed he has completely refined his work.

He has been extremely prolific lately in the writing department, and the new songs (some will be on the upcoming Airstream recording) are classic David.
I've always thought the sign of a truly great writer was someone who can make you laugh your keister off one minute, then make you reflect deeply on your own life and the human condition the next. David does this better than anyone....

I took a friend along that isn't a musician, but has a greater knowledge of music and performance than most folks who've been in the business all their lives. He had heard some of David's earlier music through me, but had never seen him live. He came away thinking he LOVED the music, but what was the most entertaing were David's stories before and during the songs. I tend to agree to some point, but I just like the whole package....

If you've never taken the time to see David, GO!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:51 AM

Sounds like a good time Todd.
Unfortunately, some of us are not on vacation in the Rockies.
LOL
Old 08-26-2007, 04:56 PM

David was a guest artist at Swanannoa Monday night during guitar week....2 songs....when he first came on I kept trying to think why I knew the name (I'm old and forgetful), by the time he was done, I remembered how Todd and Tad and JT all raved about him, and I knew why.

What's the temp in the Rockies?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:40 PM

I've had the opportunity to jam with David Wilcox a couple times in the living room (he's related to one of my good friends). What a fun jam! yes - the guy is a super talent on alternate tunings and song writing for sure. Both times I've jammed with him, he was playing a composite guitar - seemed like he retuned for almost every song....
Old 08-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbondo View Post

What's the temp in the Rockies?

Well now that depends on where you are.....the daytime high today in Boulder was around 90, up in Ward near the trailhead it was 72, and on the summit of Mt Audobon (at 13,332) it was about 50 and 20 mph winds, which was toasty warm compared to what I got on Hallett Peak on Friday....probably 38 degrees and 45 mph winds. Thought I was in MI in January - LOL

David started using the composite guitar not long after he set out on his latest adventure, his family traveling all over and living out of a 28 foot Airstream. He would go out on the road with them, and then fly to a few shows in a row. With all the temp and humidity changes, he figured it was the logical choice. I was a bit skeptical about it until I saw him last fall at the Ark in Ann Arbor.....sounded pretty darn good and it's very stable in drop tunings.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

I would love to see him live, but he never seems to come this far south. I must just live in the wrong place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell