The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin D18 - Acoustic and Baggs Anthem Demo

My new Martin D18 just received an LR Baggs Anthem Pickup so I can gig with it. So I thought I'd share a demo video.

A lot of players take issue with the Anthem saying it detracts from the acoustic tone of the guitar due to the element UST under the saddle. I can't say I hear anything dramatic from before and after. If its different, it is very very small. My guitar is just as magical now ...and even moreso since I can now play it plugged in for my gigs.

What do you think?

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-15-2017, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

That's a very, very pleasing sound acoustically, and also when it's plugged in!

Clearly, you know how to use it to its best advantage, and you know its shortcomings as well.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Our ears are all different and hear things differently. Personally I cannot stand the Way that the Anthem affects the overall tone of my acoustic guitars but I do agree that it sounds excellent direct to the PA. If it works for you then that’s great!
Old 12-16-2017, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Our ears are all different and hear things differently. Personally I cannot stand the Way that the Anthem affects the overall tone of my acoustic guitars but I do agree that it sounds excellent direct to the PA. If it works for you then that’s great!
I am sure there must be some affect. But I need my guitar to provide a great amplified sound and the Anthem so far is the best pick up I have personally found. Trouble free, musical, good battery life. There are compromises no matter what you choose. So I respect your position.

I am quite happy with what I ma hearing acoustically still and amplified, the D18 is delivering what I need. So I made peace with whatever compromises there may be.

Sure sounds musical and natural to me acoustically. So I am happy. Life is good.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-16-2017, 04:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I am sure there must be some affect. But I need my guitar to provide a great amplified sound and the Anthem so far is the best pick up I have personally found. Trouble free, musical, good battery life. There are compromises no matter what you choose. So I respect your position.

I am quite happy with what I ma hearing acoustically still and amplified, the D18 is delivering what I need. So I made peace with whatever compromises there may be.

Sure sounds musical and natural to me acoustically. So I am happy. Life is good.
The reality of this particular situation is that aside from you having heard its virgin voice, there's no 'before' sample, and so it's meaningless.....

......until you sell the guitar, and then you can appeal to the potential buyer with "If you like it now, just wait.You never know how it might sound once you take this thing out."

And of course we all know how that one goes......

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-16-2017, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

* Excellent demo Gary as all your vids are! Your stunning D18 sounds lovely unplugged and as you said very musical amplified. You have it dialed in beautifully that it sounds very natural and wonderfully close to the unplugged sound >

** Compromise that works for your individual needs that satisfies your ears acoustically and amplified is something us working musicians strive for and you have done very well imo...I can't compare how much the newly installed Element may take away from the guitar's original tone, but it sure sounds nice unplugged now and furthermore the Element UST, as far as ust's go, sounds better then most imo.

Thank you for sharing this bro!

eric
Old 12-16-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
The reality of this particular situation is that aside from you having heard its virgin voice, there's no 'before' sample, and so it's meaningless.....

......until you sell the guitar, and then you can appeal to the potential buyer with "If you like it now, just wait.You never know how it might sound once you take this thing out."

And of course we all know how that one goes......

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
I would bet money on it that if you had heard a before and after sample, you wouldn't even be able to tell a difference, especially through a video. Also, potential buyers will not distance themselves from this guitar because of the Anthem. If anything, more people will want it because it has a pickup system.. one that's highly respected I might add.

Personally, I think there is a bit of tonal change when the Anthem is installed but I found it to be very minor. If anything, it's more apparent on a guitar that I am already struggling with acoustically. For example, my Taylor has always been a bit thin sounding so I tried the Anthem and felt like a bit more bass was removed. If I had installed it in a Martin, I probably would have never noticed a change.

Here's an interesting take. My Taylor had the ES1 system in it (quite a lot of wires etc in the guitar) and then I installed the Fishman Matrix blend. This was a fairly large control module at the soundhole with a gooseneck mic and then the Matrix UST. I had to drill a second hole for this at the time. Both systems in there made up a lot of junk. I liked the acoustic tone of my Taylor though so I never changed it. About a year ago, I ripped both systems out to try the Lyric and guess what? My Taylor hasn't sounded as good since. The high end is more dominant. I bring this up because sometimes a pickup can actually have a positive impact on a guitar's natural voice.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I would bet money on it that if you had heard a before and after sample, you wouldn't even be able to tell a difference, especially through a video. Also, potential buyers will not distance themselves from this guitar because of the Anthem. If anything, more people will want it because it has a pickup system.. one that's highly respected I might add.

Personally, I think there is a bit of tonal change when the Anthem is installed but I found it to be very minor. If anything, it's more apparent on a guitar that I am already struggling with acoustically. For example, my Taylor has always been a bit thin sounding so I tried the Anthem and felt like a bit more bass was removed. If I had installed it in a Martin, I probably would have never noticed a change.

Here's an interesting take. My Taylor had the ES1 system in it (quite a lot of wires etc in the guitar) and then I installed the Fishman Matrix blend. This was a fairly large control module at the soundhole with a gooseneck mic and then the Matrix UST. I had to drill a second hole for this at the time. Both systems in there made up a lot of junk. I liked the acoustic tone of my Taylor though so I never changed it. About a year ago, I ripped both systems out to try the Lyric and guess what? My Taylor hasn't sounded as good since. The high end is more dominant. I bring this up because sometimes a pickup can actually have a positive impact on a guitar's natural voice.
Scotty,
I guess my facetiousness was a little blurred, so my bad!

By 'meaningless' I mean that whatever it sounded like pre-pickup is meaningless to me & most anyone listening, or SHOULD be......It sounded really good to my ears, but the absolutists don't look at it that way.

I ignore them.

What I noticed RIGHT OFF THE BAT was how good a player Gary is, and that the sound of the instrument didn't draw my attention away from that.

THAT..... is what it's all about. If the music doesn't grab my attention, the rest is meaningless.

Be well,
Howard
Old 12-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Noledog, Howard and Petty,

Thanks for your kindness and for sharing your thoughts and insights. I certainly respect The counter point that Aero shared. It’sall valid. He hates the affect the Anthem introduces to the acoustic sound of a guitar. Fair enough.

My experience, if there is a difference is that it isn’t nearly as significant or dramatic as many people believe. That’s just “my opinion based on ‘my experience.’

Whether or not I am able to share a ‘before and after’ samples isn’t really relevant for my needs since I need my D18 to be amplified so I can gig with it easily.

In this regard, the guitar and pick up deliver a great acoustic sound with exceptional resistance to feedback when amplified. The battery last a super long time too, and I love the push button that uses 5 tiny LED dots to indicate remaining battery life. Very user friendly for a professional gigging guitarist.

Is the pickup perfect? No. Does it alter the acoustic tone when not amplified? Yes to some degree. For some, any amount is unnacceptable and that’s OK. For me, I need to weight the value that this tool affords me, paired with the sound quality it delivers when amplified. In that regard, it is still my first choice.

I am very happy with the musicality and voice of my D18 acoustically now. Even after the Anthem was installed. I will also give it time to settle. Some have said any changes it introduces diminishes over time as the saddle seats more firmly against the Element UST. So we shall see.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification