The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 12-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Default The new Genzler Acoustic Array

Hey guys, Genzler gave me an amp to do a video demo on.
Hope you check it out! It's one of my favorite acoustic amps!
I in fact sold my AER after I got my first Genz Benz
Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Nice job on the review, Lance. Looks like a quality amp.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:48 AM

Default What about the UK!

This looks great. But it's frustrating because I've never been able to buy any acoustic Genz amps in the UK. And I've just checked at www.gollihurmusic.com and they are not allowed to ship the array to the UK. Lots of musicans over here would be interested!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:46 AM

Gotta love stuff Jeff makes... I have had a few Genz Benz amps over the years. This design is a little like my Bose Compact when extensions are not installed.. I like it
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Excellent review/demo. Would you describe your whole signal chain?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Great demo. I wonder how keyboards would sound through that.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:22 PM

How does it handle vocals?
Old 12-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
How does it handle vocals?
A valid question. I'm gonna take a wild guess the XLR is a lot better suited for dual mic guitar systems than vocals. If you sort of care about your vocals it won't matter, but if you care about your vocal sound as much as your guitar sound, well amps optimized for guitars may not be the ideal solution ...
Old 12-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

I heard about these a few months ago, was wondering when they'd show up on the market. A local store in my town is going to start carrying these, I think...

For what it's worth, I believe the unit is designed for both guitar and vocal... it's not cheap, but I'm guessing it sounds terrific.

My issue with most of the "acoustic amps" that I've tried has been dealing with "the proximity effect" when you start raising the volume levels... at that point, if I'm anywhere near the sound source, all sorts of craziness starts to happen with my acoustic guitar's sound.

I own (and love!) an AER Compact 60; I feel it is an absolute MARVEL of engineering... but if you turn that hummer up a bit, you had better give yourself some distance from it or you will be HOWLING!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 12-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I heard about these a few months ago, was wondering when they'd show up on the market. A local store in my town is going to start carrying these, I think...

For what it's worth, I believe the unit is designed for both guitar and vocal... it's not cheap, but I'm guessing it sounds terrific.

My issue with most of the "acoustic amps" that I've tried has been dealing with "the proximity effect" when you start raising the volume levels... at that point, if I'm anywhere near the sound source, all sorts of craziness starts to happen with my acoustic guitar's sound.

I own (and love!) an AER Compact 60; I feel it is an absolute MARVEL of engineering... but if you turn that hummer up a bit, you had better give yourself some distance from it or you will be HOWLING!
Obviously you can plug a vocal mic into it but notice the videos don't have anyone singing through them. What does that tell you? Also, are you primarily a guitarist or are you a singer songwriter? Do you love what the AER Compact 60 does for voices? Just curious.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Obviously you can plug a vocal mic into it but notice the videos don't have anyone singing through them. What does that tell you? Also, are you primarily a guitarist or are you a singer songwriter? Do you love what the AER Compact 60 does for voices? Just curious.
Fair point and the promos emphasize guitar--but it has phantom power for its mic/XLR inputs, which at least shows some attention was paid. But sure, who wouldn't want to hear it.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
A valid question. I'm gonna take a wild guess the XLR is a lot better suited for dual mic guitar systems than vocals. If you sort of care about your vocals it won't matter, but if you care about your vocal sound as much as your guitar sound, well amps optimized for guitars may not be the ideal solution ...
I'm not sure why anyone would care less about their vocals. I understand that, and is why I still use a good mixer and powered speakers. But some acoustic amps CAN do vocals quite well. Looking at the EQ section of this amp I thought it might do well. Maybe I'll get a chance to audition one personally, or someone else will post their experience.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would care less about their vocals.
Cause they're a fingerstyle guitarist and that's their thing. And maybe they just want to talk to the audience between songs, so the provision's there for it. I mean fingerstyle acoustic is really growing once people realized that as great as someone like Tommy Emmanuel is, they can do it, too. Amps like this and the Mesa Rosette cater to people who primarily play guitar or have advanced far enough in their careers that they can afford to have a great sounding amp go into a PA while a sound man takes care of their vocals, if they sing, via the same PA.

All that said, I've still never heard the Genzler so I could be way off. If it has a 10" speaker, the odds of my suspicion being wrong are greater.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM

FWIW, the earlier Genz Benz Shenandoah amps handled vocals very well. I've been using a ProLT for years, and the way its speaker (12" and a tweeter) handles vocals was one of the reasons I bought it. This is a different design, but I'm sure they took vocals into account. At least it's worth giving Genzler the benefit of the doubt until you can audition the amp in person. You can't tell much about how an amp reproduces guitar or vocals from a youtube video anyway.

Louis
Old 12-18-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
FWIW, the earlier Genz Benz Shenandoah amps handled vocals very well. I've been using a ProLT for years, and the way its speaker (12" and a tweeter) handles vocals was one of the reasons I bought it. This is a different design, but I'm sure they took vocals into account. At least it's worth giving Genzler the benefit of the doubt until you can audition the amp in person. You can't tell much about how an amp reproduces guitar or vocals from a youtube video anyway.

Louis
True, but the bigger the speaker the greater the odds vocals don't sound like "you're singing through a guitar amp." As previously noted, I'd expect your amp with the 12" speaker to have a fighting chance at handling vocals well. The exception would be totally different designs like the Bose L series which have multiple small speakers. I took a quick look at Genzler specs and didn't notice a speaker size. Did I miss something?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Tags
acoustic amp