The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Best 'Single Mic' for Live, Solo Singer/Guitarist

I am looking to go "pick-up free", as I am transitioning into being a solo singer/songwriter, and performing at smaller, quieter venues.

I'm looking for the best mic to use for this situation - live micing of voice, acoustic guitar, and harmonica with a single mic.

My amp is the Carvin AG200, which I love, and which has phantom power.

I've been rehearsing into my Audio‑Technica Pro 37 (a small-diaphragm cardioid condenser), and although I think it sounds pretty decent, I assume a large-diaphragm condenser might be a better choice for this application (?), and I wouldn't mind upgrading if I can find "the right" mic.

What mics should I consider in the "up to $500" price range?

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Musical minimalist

EDIT: I just realized you said you wanted to do one mic for vocal and acoustic guitar.......the info below may not help, but I would advise separate mics for each as it will give you a lot more volume, clarity and bass response with your small system. If you are dead set on a single mic - I'd check out the AKG C214.

LDC's will pick up a lot more room noise.
I'd suggest a better quality SDC.

Lots of options for you, but since you are playing through a single cabinet with only two 6.5 inch drivers (as opposed to a dual cabinet system with say, 12" drivers) I don't think you'll hear as much difference as you might expect.

I've had great results with the Blue Encore 300 which is kind of the best of both worlds - a little larger diaphragm but yet great feedback and outside noise rejection.

Others would be Audix ADX51, AT4041, AKG C451B (my fave when $$ is not an issue)

Last edited by fitness1; 05-20-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:43 AM

Up to $500? Maybe look at something by AT or AKG or CAD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I am looking to go "pick-up free", as I am transitioning into being a solo singer/songwriter, and performing at smaller, quieter venues.

I'm looking for the best mic to use for this situation - live micing of voice, acoustic guitar, and harmonica with a single mic.

My amp is the Carvin AG200, which I love, and which has phantom power.

I've been rehearsing into my Audio‑Technica Pro 37 (a small-diaphragm cardioid condenser), and although I think it sounds pretty decent, I assume a large-diaphragm condenser might be a better choice for this application (?), and I wouldn't mind upgrading if I can find "the right" mic.

What mics should I consider in the "up to $500" price range?
Ear Trumpet Labs offers the Myrtle ($599 direct) large-diaphragm condenser mic that's made for live, one-mic situations. ETL mics are getting good reviews and increasing usage among acoustic musicians.

http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/produc...ophones/myrtle

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-21-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Yeah. If you can bump up your budget by $1-200, you can get a pretty nice LDC that would do you fine. The ETL mics that I've heard are great.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:14 PM

I've never seen a single mic for vocal+guitar work properly outside of a recording situation. To do this, the mic ends up being at least 12 inches away from your mouth and the guitar, which either sounds 'distant' and quiet, or starts to feedback. It might be workable on a large quiet stage in a recital hall, but not usually in a smaller venue when you're trying to get over the crowd noise with your amp a few feet away from you.

As said earlier, two separate mics is almost always better for a singer/guitarist for live sound reinforcement. You don't need to be right on top of the mics, but you also can get each mic much closer to the sources than with a single mic.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
EDIT: I just realized you said you wanted to do one mic for vocal and acoustic guitar.......the info below may not help, but I would advise separate mics for each as it will give you a lot more volume, clarity and bass response with your small system.
While separate mics will allow you to work each one closer and give you a chance for higher GBF, the price you pay is that of phase anomalies occuring when both the voice and the instrument are each heard by two mics. So one issue to deal with is going to be selecting highly directional mics and orienting them so as to utilize the nulls to your best advantage.

While phase issues may not be a total deal breaker for live performance, they are there none the less and it's good to be aware of them. If you're intending to record your performance for any reason, it will become an issue. Otherwise it'll probably only matter to any sound enginners/recordists in the audience and maybe a few really picky performers listening to you on a "bus drivers holiday".

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
While separate mics will allow you to work each one closer and give you a chance for higher GBF, the price you pay is that of phase anomalies occuring when both the voice and the instrument are each heard by two mics. So one issue to deal with is going to be selecting highly directional mics and orienting them so as to utilize the nulls to your best advantage.
I've been doing it for 35 years without issue - using a good quality dynamic vocal mic and a good quality SDC have been crucial to the success. I've never been interested in recording a performance, that's a separate discipline for me - and I think after talking to the OP, I believe he's probably in the same boat.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post

While phase issues may not be a total deal breaker for live performance, they are there none the less and it's good to be aware of them. If you're intending to record your performance for any reason, it will become an issue. Otherwise it'll probably only matter to any sound enginners/recordists in the audience and maybe a few really picky performers listening to you on a "bus drivers holiday".
Phase anomalies aren't that noticeable for live sound if you space the mics appropriately (with the 3:1 rule or greater). A single mic gained up 12dB higher than two closer mics will pic up a lot more 'room noise' and have more of a distant less focused sound which is much more noticeable in most venues. So it's really a trade off. But, it's always important to consider this issue when placing/spacing the mics.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
yp

Ear Trumpet Labs offers the Myrtle ($599 direct) large-diaphragm condenser mic that's made for live, one-mic situations. ETL mics are getting good reviews and increasing usage among acoustic musicians.

http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/produc...ophones/myrtle

Have heard these used at gigs a few times now - the sound has always been superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 05-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

The ear trumpet things do seem to be the "tool for the job" but I've received lots of positive remarks using my Rode Nt1 (original) for both vocals and guitars.

you CAN use the one large condenser for both, - its a matter of balance.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:17 AM
Guest4562

A $500 budget? Get an SM58, an SM57 and a small inexpensive mixer if needed. I advise against the one mic solution, as it will have to be omnidirectional and will cause you difficulties even in a quiet environment. If you play ANY venue in which you do not have the audience's complete and quiet attention, you will also be amplifying audience noise as well. The single mic is a laudable goal, but an impractical one.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:20 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I think it's also a matter of having the right sound reinforcement equipment - the OP has a Carvin AG200 with two 6.5" speakers in a small cabinet. I would think his venues would have to be "pin drop" quiet before a single mic would work well.

We all know we don't get too many venues like that

Old 05-21-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
The ear trumpet things do seem to be the "tool for the job" but I've received lots of positive remarks using my Rode Nt1 (original) for both vocals and guitars.

I love my NT1 (newer version), great mic. But, there's no way I could use it live for both vocal and guitar. Like any cardioid mic, I'd have to have it at least 1.5 feet away from either source (guitar and vocal) to be able to pick up both equally. That's fine for recording, but tends to be way too open when being sent to a PA / monitor.

Of course, in a super quiet venue, if you have a powerful voice and a loud guitar, you might get away with this.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:29 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
A $500 budget? Get an SM58, an SM57 and a small inexpensive mixer if needed.
The OP has a Heil vocal mic, an AT condenser for the guitar, and a Carvin AG200 with plenty of mixing capabilities. In my opinion, he's 90% of the way to the best sound he can get already.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification