The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Default For playing around at home, is the iRig anything?

I've three ukes and a D18, nothing electric, and am thinking of getting amped.

The iRig microphone setup looks interesting, but what exactly is it?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM

I have an iRig Acoustic Stage.

It's a clip-on microphone. The marketing stuff talks about how it's a different type of mic and doesn't have the drawbacks of other internal or clip on mics for acoustic guitar.

Since mine is the Acoustic Stage model it has a small belt or strap clip preamp pack. This has some EQ presets and can take a second input for any other pickup on a guitar that can be mixed with the mic and phase switch and feedback buster button.

I think it sounds pretty good on the guitars I've tried it with (mostly smaller bodied guitars as it happens). I haven't tried it with a uke. There is a nylon string EQ preset however. I keep meaning to try it with my Merlin dulcimer. I haven't used it on stage and have no idea how well the feedback buster works. It also doesn't appear to be "stage tough". The lead from the mic to the belt pack is thin wire, like a ipod or phone headphone wire with an 1/8 jack. The buttons and knobs are not all recessed, and I don't know how well the case's plastic would take a fall to a concrete floor.

But again, it sounds natural and much like an externally miced guitar on the 3 or 4 guitars I've tried it on. And it hooks up easy, so it's ideal for moving around between guitars. In the past I'd use a soundhole magnetic pickup for informal "I need to play this guitar through a PA/amp/effects pedal" instances, and this is cheaper than many mag pickups, easier to swap around, and it sounds more like the guitar and less like the pickup.

I think it's worth the price.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-20-2017, 04:19 AM

The iRig acoustic for home recording is great. For players my out you want acoustic stage. Fantastic products. Here's my review and demo - I compare to external condenser mic and cherub clip on piezo. IRig wins hands down. hear for yourself.

https://youtu.be/9LGwsS6ZavQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification