The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Default Anyone try Mediums on a Legacy?

I know there may not be many CA Legacy owners out there, but was wondering if any have tried medium strings or med/lights.? The guitar ships with lights. I was just wondering if mediums would enhance the sound or just stick with lights? I fingerpick half the time and strum the rest.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:17 AM

Not on a CA legacy, but I have Elixir mediums on my Rainsong WS-1000 right now. They are fine, and don't seem to choke the sound at standard E-e pitch, nor do they really seem to enhance the sound or produce more volume. It seems to be a wash and sounds wonderful either way.

I currently have light gauge on my Lucky 13 having replaced the mediums that came on it. But there has not been much time to play it since the string change, so I cannot really comment on tone or volume changes. (I ordered my Lucky 13 telling Blackbird that it would wear mediums most of the time. They beefed up the neck bracing slightly, per Joe).

I tend to choose string gauge based on how I'm going to tune the guitar, keeping the overall tension in the same ballpark as standard tuned light's. I have medium's on my Rainsong there because I often tune down a whole step D-d for my voice, or use other alternate tunings with loosened strings. Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Well, I normally tune down 1/2 step, but this guitar doesn't sound as good in that tuning, at least to my ears, so I thought maybe a set of mediums .
Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Very easy to try, and easy enough to reverse again if you don't like it. Lights tuned E-e are almost the same overall tension as mediums tuned to Eb, within a few pounds.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:49 PM

I've always been a Martin marquis player medium for decades on my 35. Used them on my ca gxi pulled to normal pitch. Was convinced to try lights to help my arthritis. They're 'ok.' But my mediums will be back in a few weeks. On both guitars. Just don't try to bend them much.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
I've always been a Martin marquis player medium for decades on my 35. Used them on my ca gxi pulled to normal pitch. Was convinced to try lights to help my arthritis. They're 'ok.' But my mediums will be back in a few weeks. On both guitars. Just don't try to bend them much.
Well, I like tuning 1/2 step down, so maybe I can bend some. I just picked up a set of PB medium /lights, will give that a try. I used to like experimenting with all sorts of different strings. I settled on PB strings, mostly daddario, but carbon fiber is new to me and will take awhile to figure out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber