The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Congratulations! That is one beautiful guitar!
Barb
Thx Barb... Emerald is sure doing some good work these days!

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Fabulous guitar looking absolutely stunning. Emerald is making a good run on AGF.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Fabulous guitar looking absolutely stunning. Emerald is making a good run on AGF.
When companies do the right things for the right reasons and produce goods/services that their customers want and are very pleased with, they don't just gain customers, they gain fans and evangelists. I think that's really cool to see, and we definitely see that here on this forum with Emerald. As far as I'm concerned, it couldn't happen to nicer guys.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Old 04-16-2017, 11:12 PM

That guitar is a stunning beauty.

Veneers really have the advantage of not only showcasing the real beauty of wood, but also make each guitar one of a kind.

Carbon weave (which I also really love) will look the same from one build to the next, and that's OK and expected. But these veneers present the most beautiful woods in the world and still retain all the advantages of carbon fiber.

Normal wood guitars are limited to choosing their soundboards for their tone properties--so the blonde, vanilla spruce, brown/red cedars or other tone woods, look nice but pretty much the same guitar to guitar. There are some exceptions--but very few.

For all who love the beauty that exists in rare woods and love carbon fiber, Emerald has innovated a lovely way to bring constant additional joy to the playing experience. Well done. Hats off.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
That guitar is a stunning beauty.

Veneers really have the advantage of not only showcasing the real beauty of wood, but also make each guitar one of a kind.

Carbon weave (which I also really love) will look the same from one build to the next, and that's OK and expected. But these veneers present the most beautiful woods in the world and still retain all the advantages of carbon fiber.

Normal wood guitars are limited to choosing their soundboards for their tone properties--so the blonde, vanilla spruce, brown/red cedars or other tone woods, look nice but pretty much the same guitar to guitar. There are some exceptions--but very few.

For all who love the beauty that exists in rare woods and love carbon fiber, Emerald has innovated a lovely way to bring constant additional joy to the playing experience. Well done. Hats off.
You're exactly right. The beautiful, exotic woods that have traditionally been in the background, have now been brought front and center to display unique characteristics with no compromise in tone. Brilliant, and Emerald is the only builder doing it. Big kudos.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 AM

Congrats Todd!

This is very very inspiring. Totally posisonous to the mind.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 AM

I was never a great fan of the sound hole on the x20 but with the woodie and the cool arm rest it all comes together beautifully to show the maximum veneer and the wonderful form of the guitar. This design was made for the woodies.... it is a gorgeous blend of tech and nature....

just stunning!!!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 AM

I have thought about it for a couple of days and I think I have figured it out. I am jealous. Congratulations on a stunning guitar.

If there is any niche that CF guitars can fill better than any wood will ever do, then it is in 12 strings.

and harp guitars...

and guitars for extremes...

etc...

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I have thought about it for a couple of days and I think I have figured it out. I am jealous. Congratulations on a stunning guitar.

If there is any niche that CF guitars can fill better than any wood will ever do, then it is in 12 strings.

and harp guitars...

and guitars for extremes...

etc...
And guitars that are extremely comfortable.

But, let's be honest: there are some wood guitars that really sound great. Oh, yeah - and CF guitars that do that, too.

I was playing my 814 this morning (see, I do give wood guitars some love, too)... it has a lovely, rich sound. So does my most recent carbon fiber acquisition. They don't sound "the same," but they each sound great. I guess I don't consider CF as being best for extreme guitars/situations - it is another option for a fine instrument.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:46 PM

I was thinking environmental extremes more than musical extremes. I have played an 814 and other 8 or 9 somethings a few times. I was considering one or two in that range and an exotic wood before I got the X20. I wouldn't say no if one were to fall in my lap, but if I were to get another guitar myself it would most likely be either an electric 6 string or a CF 12 string. So far I think I have spent more time tuning a d a m n 12 string than actually playing one.

Todd, if you're listening, say something about your adventures in tuning and intonation if you have had any. Also any comments about how your X20-12 compares to an X20-6 would be useful too. Thanks.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Guest 928

I have no experience with a CF 12, but I can speak to the difference between tuning wood and CF nylon string guitars. The CF guitars seem much more stable and require a lot less tweaking.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

By request and not my preference, here are some sample clips I put together this evening using my Yeti usb microphone and posted to SoundCloud. Prepare to be underwhelmed by my playing! Seriously folks, I'm a beginner, but the guitar sound really great, and looks freaking gorgeous! Funny, because when I'm playing it I seem to hear way more bass than what it sounds like on these recordings.

Shameless plug for the Charmed Life "Top Secret" prototype which I used for these recordings and could be my favorite pick. I switch between that and the red. These are all pretty short clips which are anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds.

https://soundcloud.com/user-817338923/x20-12-br-16tons

https://soundcloud.com/user-81733892...-chordstrummin

https://soundcloud.com/user-81733892...br-deadoralive

https://soundcloud.com/user-81733892...12-br-freebird

https://soundcloud.com/user-81733892...-br-inthepines

https://soundcloud.com/user-81733892...12-br-lyineyes

https://soundcloud.com/user-817338923/x20-12-br-melissa

https://soundcloud.com/user-81733892...2-br-simpleman

https://soundcloud.com/user-81733892...2-br-smalltown

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Old 04-18-2017, 09:01 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I listened to all the clips, Todd. Thanks for doing this, and don't apologize for your playing or the recording quality. You're obviously well underway in your playing journey and you certainly possess the quality instruments to support that. The clips are good enough to tell the tone of the guitar and it sounds very good to me. Our taste in songs is very similar. Carry on, sir!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 PM

That is a jaw-droppingly beautiful guitar! And going with the black carbon is much more of a dramatic look than you would have gotten with the amber. Good choice!

Happy playing!

Last edited by Uncle Pauhana; 04-18-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Here's a shot I took today before I did the recordings....hard to photograph because of the gloss.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber