The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Guest 33123

Bob you're doing great! Try a little more snap on the melody notes and don't be afraid to really dig and draw the music out of your guitar. Again great work especially for 12 weeks in!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Great start. You might try playing along with a metronome. I think you'll find it easy to relax when the ticker is beating time for you and that you have more time than you think within the bars.

I'd recommend playing at the tempo you're using now, just dig into the strings a bit to kck it out and let it swing. I like to tap/slap my foot on a piece of masonite to add funk and rhythm to the music.

Scott Joplin said it's not proper to play ragtime fast...
Thanks very much for that feedback!

I "know" I should use a metronome, especially when I'm not quite feeling the groove...but for some reason I can't remember to do it when I need to!

I appreciate your taking the time to listen, Wyllys.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Good job! Hanson's stuff is deceptively difficult to play, at least for my fat fingers
Thanks, Barry. I feel like Mark's book has given me a good foundation. I wish he didn't love the F form so much :-)

Just bought my first Toby Walker lesson, really want to try Windy and Warm, and I have a Pete Huttlinger songbook on the way. So much great stuff to try.

It was you and several others on AGF who inspired me to give this a try, thanks so much. I hope you are feeling better, and look forward to your posts, especially on show and tell.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Bob you're doing great! Try a little more snap on the melody notes and don't be afraid to really dig and draw the music out of your guitar. Again great work especially for 12 weeks in!
Well thanks so much for the listen, Doug!

I'm playing with bare flesh, and feel like I'm doing ok with the thumb but the treble notes need a lot of work. They sound best when I feel like I am actually pulling the strings up towards my face, which is a motion not at all familiar to someone who has been a strummer for a long time.

You are one of the folks who inspired me to give finger style a try, thanks so much. I'm really enjoying your recent stuff, keep it coming!
Old 05-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Thanks, Barry. I feel like Mark's book has given me a good foundation. I wish he didn't love the F form so much :-)

Just bought my first Toby Walker lesson, really want to try Windy and Warm, and I have a Pete Huttlinger songbook on the way. So much great stuff to try.

It was you and several others on AGF who inspired me to give this a try, thanks so much. I hope you are feeling better, and look forward to your posts, especially on show and tell.
Thanks Bob!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Well thanks so much for the listen, Doug!

I'm playing with bare flesh, and feel like I'm doing ok with the thumb but the treble notes need a lot of work. They sound best when I feel like I am actually pulling the strings up towards my face, which is a motion not at all familiar to someone who has been a strummer for a long time.

You are one of the folks who inspired me to give finger style a try, thanks so much. I'm really enjoying your recent stuff, keep it coming!
Thank you Bob!
Old 05-14-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

As others have mentioned, you'll need to bring up the volume/attack on the melody in Freight Train. Other than that, you're timing is and tone is coming along quite nicely and working on two different styles - Piedmont and blues with a droning string - will certainly give you some nice variety in that style. Nice work so far.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
As others have mentioned, you'll need to bring up the volume/attack on the melody in Freight Train. Other than that, you're timing is and tone is coming along quite nicely and working on two different styles - Piedmont and blues with a droning string - will certainly give you some nice variety in that style. Nice work so far.
Hi Toby,

Thank you for the listen, feedback and encouragement!

I'm really working on getting each melody note to ring out. I started forming some callouses on the fingertips of my picking hand, which I take as a good sign.

Your Learning to Fingerpick lesson series is really helping with my progress!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Hi Toby,

Thank you for the listen, feedback and encouragement!

I'm really working on getting each melody note to ring out. I started forming some callouses on the fingertips of my picking hand, which I take as a good sign.

Your Learning to Fingerpick lesson series is really helping with my progress!
Glad to hear that Bob!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write