The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Smile He just can not help it...

John makes things no one is likely to see pretty, just cause he can!

I will enjoy it! BTW, John's others with cedar linings smell delicious!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-13-2017, 05:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the plug Paul

I forgot to post this picture of the rim shaping process. What you see here is a spinning disk of sandpaper. The disk has a spherical profile and is used to put a spherical profile on the rim. You can see how ugly the lining glueup is before shaping. Ryan I thought you would appreciate this shot 😅
Old 02-13-2017, 07:40 AM

So you obviously use the liners to give you the backing you need to make your bevels, in this case that really large rib bevel. Do you always do this? Could one laminate something else and achieve the same or just cut a solid piece of wood to the correct shape and glue it in?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
So you obviously use the liners to give you the backing you need to make your bevels, in this case that really large rib bevel. Do you always do this? Could one laminate something else and achieve the same or just cut a solid piece of wood to the correct shape and glue it in?
I built this guitar to Paul's specs. This is the first time I've made such an extensive rib bevel, and probably the last unless Paul orders another guitar. Hey we are a custom shop here. (I guess that's the imperial "we")

It would be entirely possible to use a solid piece of wood here, or laminate a lining for that matter. I have reasons, some aesthetic and some structural for preferring my present technique. I have used laminated lining before for the bevels but that is mighty wasteful of wood. After cutting the thin strips to be laminated, nearly half of the wood is on the floor under the saw waiting to be swept up.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Smile Hmmmm...

Hey John. I like that "Imperial We". And I would not be so sure about never doing another big back bevel...
A number of folks I have discussed this with have expressed serious interest in playing it when it is done. I can not be the ONLY player tired of getting poked in the sternum while playing seated. In my case it is exacerbated by the fact that I often play the harmonica in the rack as well. I just can not always move around as much as would help the comfort level!
The fact that your three I have played all sound like "God in a box" is sure nice too!
My other two from John have solid Cedar linings, not kerfed. But this one has double sides, so did not need the solid lining for rigidity. At least that is my take on John's linings here...

Cheers

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default rim is done

here is the rim with the carbon fiber rods in place. You cannot see it here but there are flames painted on the rod nearest the soundport which can be viewed through the soundport.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default FLAMES

So I think Paul was or might still be a California Rodder. At any rate he wanted flames painted on the carbon fiber rods. I was good with that as long as you viewed the flames through the sound port and they didn't present themselves through the sound hole.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

view through the soundport
Old 02-13-2017, 08:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Ryan I thought you would appreciate this shot 😅
I'm conflicted. It looks so beautiful yet I also have a deep jealousy in my heart. There is something to be said about channeling my inner Chubby Checker every couple of weeks, but this looks so effortless. Restless sleep again tonight. Thanks John.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Smile Inner Chubby Checker?

Hey Ryan, I am lost on your reference!

No I never was a hot-rodder, I just thought flames would be fun.

Actually I do not enjoy motor sports and never have. Maybe because the RAWK BANDS I was in for decades were so dang LOUD! Also, most musicians on my obscure level can not afford great gear and fancy vehicles both. We are lucky to be able to afford the good gear! Haha.

Cheers

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post

view through the soundport
Oh my goodness...only PAUL!! ha!

So tell me again what the rods are for?? I must have missed it in the thread.

I can certainly say the flames fit what I know about Paul. He's that guy that...like in Top Gun "larger than life...not going to be happy unless you're going Mach-2 with your hair on fire..."

My guess is 40-50 years from now when Paul runs out of gas they'll find him on a motorcycle with a guitar in hand and a harmonica in his mouth and the music will still be playing...

Gorgeous guitar by the way!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Hey Ryan, I am lost on your reference!

Paul
Paul,
John was poking a little fun at me by posting his motorized sanding dish that he's using to contour your linings into a spherical shape. Unfortunately, we don't have this process motorized in our shop - or to be clear, I'm the motor that spins the guitar in its mold down into the sanding dish. It's a heart pumping dance that is sometimes a Watusi and sometimes the Twist (my Chubby Checker reference). Here's a picture of me doing the linings sanding dance.

Just imagine me pulling the mold back and forth in a circular pattern for 20 minutes or so. Then I think how high tech John's shop is with his washing machine motor hooked up to the dish. It's all in good fun.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Smile Hey Ryan

Wow Ryan. Good thing you are young and spry! Seems like a potters wheel might work for this job... then you could "kick back" especially if it was a kick wheel!

Twist away...

Cheers

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 02-14-2017, 01:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Oh my goodness...only PAUL!! ha!

So tell me again what the rods are for?? I must have missed it in the thread.

I can certainly say the flames fit what I know about Paul. He's that guy that...like in Top Gun "larger than life...not going to be happy unless you're going Mach-2 with your hair on fire..."

My guess is 40-50 years from now when Paul runs out of gas they'll find him on a motorcycle with a guitar in hand and a harmonica in his mouth and the music will still be playing...

Gorgeous guitar by the way!!
Thanks Mike
Your characterization is a hoot. Mach 2 with your hair on fire

My plan is to disconnect the upper bout from the inhibiting effect of the fingerboard extension and brace that area more for tone than neck support and thereby get the upper bout more involved in making music.. But that leaves the neck block less supported than is customary so to keep the neck from folding up into the top those carbon fiber rods transmits that force to the sides near the waist, which is a really strong area of the guitar.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Paul,
John was poking a little fun at me by posting his motorized sanding dish that he's using to contour your linings into a spherical shape. Unfortunately, we don't have this process motorized in our shop - or to be clear, I'm the motor that spins the guitar in its mold down into the sanding dish. It's a heart pumping dance that is sometimes a Watusi and sometimes the Twist (my Chubby Checker reference). Here's a picture of me doing the linings sanding dance.

Just imagine me pulling the mold back and forth in a circular pattern for 20 minutes or so. Then I think how high tech John's shop is with his washing machine motor hooked up to the dish. It's all in good fun.
Truthfully I should unplug the motor and get involved in the dish dance myself. Guitar making as an aerobic event. I could use it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop