The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM

Default Volume Pedals That Retain Acoustic Sound Quality – DIY, MODS & Store Bought?

Trying out volume pedals, and talking with other folks concerned about loosing tone, it seams that volume pedals are not designed to retain the sound quality of acoustic guitars. Well, not the cheap ones in my budget i guess.

If my goal is to retain the timbre and tones of acoustic guitar?

1-Are there any brands & models that one would recommend? (don’t limit suggestions by stereo vs mono, but an ideal one would be stereo that can also act as an expression pedal for an effect, so >~300k pot)

2- More important: If modding an old one or building from scratch I hear (from mostly electric players) that a 1 meg-ohm pot is all you need to retain the sound quality. Is this true or not? If not what is needed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by cadmus; 06-13-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: OCD
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Additionally I will add that much of the treble loss is said to be from the capacitor found in many pedals

But with a 1meg pot the capaciter can be avoided. Is this true?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 PM

I bought a DeArmond volume pedal from 1966 and it's really transparent, I like it so much I got one from 1975 for a spare. I use it on my acoustic.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 AM

That cap serves to pass the higher frequencies straight through as they suffer the greatest loss when you start "throttling back". Take any electric and reduce the volume, you typically experience the higher freqs dropping out more dramatically in a passive volume control adjustment. The cap's purpose is to restore a lil more bite as you back off the volume.

However, as every pickup is different...ideally you'd tailor it to the guitar pickup in question. That said, yeah, the 1M or larger pot means that...when fully up...you effectively null the loading effect of the pedal itself. UNLESS, you're using a passive piezo pickup and you're inserting the volume pedal BEFORE the pre. As the piezo's have a larger impedance, the pedal will still have a significant loading effect. Thus, it would usually be better to place the pedal after a pre if one isn't onboard.

My 2 cents...
BradM

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
That cap serves to pass the higher frequencies straight through as they suffer the greatest loss when you start "throttling back".
That makes way more sense.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 AM

i like the Visual Volume pedal. it can handle two channels and i love that i can see where my volume is. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...l-volume-pedal
i tested it and i would say it does affect the tone a very small amount but the tradeoff is worth it to me
robert
www.roberttemplemusic.com
www.soundcloud.com/roberttemple-1
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
i like the Visual Volume pedal. it can handle two channels and i love that i can see where my volume is. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...l-volume-pedal
i tested it and i would say it does affect the tone a very small amount but the tradeoff is worth it to me
robert
www.roberttemplemusic.com
www.soundcloud.com/roberttemple-1
The Visual Volume is actually buffered which many are not. It is one of the most transparent I have ever seen?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen View Post
The Visual Volume is actually buffered which many are not.
Could you refer me to readings and resources to explain this "buffered" thing. I see videos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMhCquTBzfE
But until i see a schematic i will not get it.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:37 PM

preamps improve volume and retain the sound/tone/timbre of a passive system and most have a volume knob. Slap a pinion gear on that preamp's volume pot and put a plank on it and you got a volume pedal that doesn't suck. How would one make (or mod an old one) a pedal that did the same thing?

Last edited by cadmus; 06-16-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus View Post
Could you refer me to readings and resources to explain this "buffered" thing. I see videos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMhCquTBzfE
But until i see a schematic i will not get it.
Do you understand the concept of a buffered input?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen View Post
Do you understand the concept of a buffered input?
Good correction. I wrote:
"Could you refer me to readings and resources to explain this "buffered" thing."
but it should read:
"Could you refer me to readings and resources to explain any "buffered" thing."

(to answer your question: no, but i see it everywhere. help is greatly appreciated, thanks)
Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 PM
.tom the übergeek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_amplifier
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus View Post
preamps improve volume and retain the sound/tone/timbre of a passive system and most have a volume knob. Slap a pinion gear on that preamp's volume pot and put a plank on it and you got a volume pedal that doesn't suck. How would one make (or mod an old one) a pedal that did the same thing?
What guitar and system are you using? You're question is too open ended without this information. If it's passive the volume pedal will be more of an issue. If your guitar has a battery or you are running a preamp in line before the volume pedal the EB 25k should work as well as others.

There are a couple of things that can happen. With a passive 250K volume pedal and a passive piezo you will load down the signal. With a buffered pickup there shouldn't be the issue of loading but the taper of the volume pot may not be right.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 PM

There’s a couple of guitar pedal builders out there who are installing a buffer into the Ernie Ball pedals,

These guys: http://www.thru-tone.com/Ernie_Ball_Mod.html (expensive!)
This guy: http://this1smyne.com/shop/eb-brand-new/ (half the price!)

I find the Ernie Ball volume is not a problem with my electric guitar, but with the piezo in my acoustic, it does suck tone. It’s fine with the soundhole pickup in my Weissenborn as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 PM

In a nutshell, a buffer is very much like a no-gain -to- low-gain preamp. It's typically a chip with circuitry inserted into the signal path to, 1 - provide isolation between the input & output and, consequently provide the proper load impedances at the input & output, respectively.

On the +, since you're only loading the signal with only a fraction of the load a single pot gives...buffering preserves more of the original bandwidth. On the -, if the circuit isn't designed appropriately...you've added noise, sucky tone reproduction, etc. If you go buffered...always good to listen vs mail-order (or read forums! ). Keep in mind, Behringer & Neve both produce mic pre's...mucho dollars & quality apart...you will most definitely hear the difference.

So, buffered is the way to go...if done right. And, you can find many a good schematic online that already gives solid design and is a fairly simple build.

Cheers!
BradM

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification