The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Default Value of Early '90s Japanese Made Fender Strat???

Hi,

I have a Japanese made Fender Stratocaster that I'm considering trading in to help finance a new Fender American Standard Stratocaster. I got the guitar in 1991 when I was in high school, and it is in good condition. I've been trying to determine its value, but am not having much luck. Does anyone know how much I could expect to get for this guitar? A rough estimate is all I need. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:26 AM

MANY of the MIJ Strats from that era are considered among the best. Not all, but many. Do some research. The Gear Page will be helpful. There is alot of discussion of MIJ Fenders over there. Hey, post a picture or two! I wanna see it!!!

value...........In very good shape I would say about $600.00 is in the ball park.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:20 AM

I can't help with the value of the guitar, but I also wanted to say that the MIJ Fenders are very good guitars, easily on a par with US made models (and maybe even superior to). I would have to ask the question: why do you feel the need to replace it?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM

i'd say closer to $350. i got this figure from the vintage guitar mag price guide.

have you thought of doing mods to it to make it better for you????

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Default Thanks

All,

Thanks for the help! After reading some of your responses, it seems like I have a really valuable instrument on my hands. I love the guitar, but have always wanted a "real" American made Fender Strat. I've considered doing some mods on the guitar (e.g., new pups, locking tuners) but I just never got around to it. I'll post a few pics shortly.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:01 PM

I've got a 90s MIJ Rosewood Telecaster (reissue of the all-rosewood Tele from the late 60s and early 70s). It is a great guitar, and the one I chose to keep when I sold my American Standard Tele.

I think you're on the right path by keeping it and modding it if you want to make some upgrades. I would recommend that you don't do anything permanent to it, though, because it will be worth more if it's in original condition (or can be returned to original condition).
Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i'd say closer to $350. i got this figure from the vintage guitar mag price guide.

have you thought of doing mods to it to make it better for you????
Depending on the shape and actual year I think $350.00 is a low-ball value. Use MIM Strats in good shape go for about $350. I see these MIJ Strats going for $500 to $700 even on The Gear Page. It may be that few, if any mods are necessary. The MIJ Strats are know for having good alnico pickups, good necks and good hardware. They will most likely go up in value so I would be careful with mods that aren't reversible.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Default Re:

Yeah, I'm really starting to re-think parting with the guitar now. Everything on the guitar is stock, but I would consider adding locking tuners and new pickups. Surely those upgrades wouldn't hurt the value of the guitar, would they?

I think you're on the right path by keeping it and modding it if you want to make some upgrades. I would recommend that you don't do anything permanent to it, though, because it will be worth more if it's in original condition (or can be returned to original condition).[/QUOTE]
Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 PM

Default Pic

Here is a pic of my Japanese made Fender Strat:

Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjames1973 View Post
Here is a pic of my Japanese made Fender Strat:

VERY nice!!! Keep it. Mod it, if necessary, but keep all the original stuff. I predict it will go up in value. That is a very nice 'burst!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Default Re:

Thanks, Terrapin. I think you all persuaded me to keep the guitar. I'm going to throw some Schaller locking tuners on it and some Fender Noiseless pups. I'll definitely hold on to the stock tuners and pickups. I'm still keeping my eye on that Fender American Standard Strat, though...LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
VERY nice!!! Keep it. Mod it, if necessary, but keep all the original stuff. I predict it will go up in value. That is a very nice 'burst!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:21 PM

There should be a label at the base of the neck, near the neck pocket, that reads: "Made in Japan" or "Crafted in Japan." To make a long story short, the MIJ Fenders fetch a higher price than the CIJ Fenders because they're usually better quality. Unless you really know what you want, if you have an MIJ Strat, I'd stick with it, as their specifications are closer to Fender's original specs than anything that's come out of California since the CBS takeover back in the mid-60's.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Default Re:

To clarify, it is a MIJ Fender Strat. I'm going to keep it. I'm glad I posted this topic. There are good folks here, and I appreciate everyone's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
There should be a label at the base of the neck, near the neck pocket, that reads: "Made in Japan" or "Crafted in Japan." To make a long story short, the MIJ Fenders fetch a higher price than the CIJ Fenders because they're usually better quality. Unless you really know what you want, if you have an MIJ Strat, I'd stick with it, as their specifications are closer to Fender's original specs than anything that's come out of California since the CBS takeover back in the mid-60's.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:17 PM

The E serial numbered ones are sought after.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Pickups

Does anyone know where I could get a decent priced set of Fender Vintage Noiseless Stratocaster pickups in white?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars