The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 AM

Default psychedelic

Whats the cheapest route to a decent sounding surfy-psychedelic-hard rock kind of sound. I've got an old tube amp, but no effects or electric guitar.
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster or Jaguar, reverb, tremelo, delay, fuzz and a pair of tye-dyed boardshorts!!! Surfs Up, DUDE!!! And, Oh, the chemical supplements are up to you!!!

Last edited by terrapin; 08-11-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Reverb is the defining sound of surf. Does your amp have reverb? If not, you can get a reverb pedal; Boss pedals sound good, and a new one will cost around $100. Maybe you could find a used one on Craigslist or eBay.

A delay pedal would work too, but it's more a rockabilly sound.

You can get a good surf sound out of a Strat, and you can probably find a used Squier Strat very cheap. The Jaguars and Jazzmasters were (are) the preferred guitars for surf, but I don't think you'll find one as cheap as a Strat.

Psychedelic/hard rock, now you're talking fuzz. The classic 60s fuzz sound was the Fuzz Face. Dunlop makes a reissue fuzz face that I've seen advertised for $90. I have an Analogman Sunface that, to my mind, really captures the 60s sound, but they're twice the price.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjar View Post
Whats the cheapest route to a decent sounding surfy-psychedelic-hard rock kind of sound. I've got an old tube amp, but no effects or electric guitar.
LSD

- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Pardon my complete ignorance, but what is a fuzz face? is it an effects unit or something? I know nothing about electric guitar.

Another friend suggested the strat/squire route too. My amp does have reverb

I'm not looking for a pure surf sound, but sort of a psychedelic surf with an edge. Sort of like if you ate LSD and drank a bunch of Jack Daniels. Sort of like early Jefferson Airplane hits the beach and meets Big Brother and Holding Company and Neil Young. Some fuzz is good too. I wish I could give an example of exxactly what I want but cant, its just sort of a melange of sounds swirling in my head. Of course I want it all but I'm poor, so I have to compromise.
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Fuzz Face is a classic fuzz tone pedal. Think Rolling Stones Satisfaction tone.

Sounds like you need to do a bit of research prior to deciding what you want.

Quote:
Pardon my complete ignorance, but what is a fuzz face? is it an effects unit or something? I know nothing about electric guitar.

Another friend suggested the strat/squire route too. My amp does have reverb

I'm not looking for a pure surf sound, but sort of a psychedelic surf with an edge. Sort of like if you ate LSD and drank a bunch of Jack Daniels. Sort of like early Jefferson Airplane hits the beach and meets Big Brother and Holding Company and Neil Young. Some fuzz is good too. I wish I could give an example of exxactly what I want but cant, its just sort of a melange of sounds swirling in my head. Of course I want it all but I'm poor, so I have to compromise.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Fuzz Face is a classic fuzz tone pedal. Think Rolling Stones Satisfaction tone.

Sounds like you need to do a bit of research prior to deciding what you want.
I thought I am doing research...??? I'm trying to find out what I need to get what I want...?
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 08-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I thought I am doing research...??? I'm trying to find out what I need to get what I want...?
That's cool. Tell us some music you would like to play and we can narrow down recommendations. What amp do you have?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Fuzz face sound:

Jimi Hendrix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xax3tIOb0Pg

Mosrite Fuzzrite: Iron Butterfly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDoWtqIGUjY

There's a modern reproduction of the Fuzzrite called the Ashbass Fuzzbrite. I haven't tried one, but the Sunface can get pretty close to that sound (with some reverb).

You can hear some samples on the Analogman web page http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

Psychedelic!

Last edited by skyver; 08-11-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM

An old Ventures album at the used record store will only set you back a few bucks and you have it covered...
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Hey Banjar, maybe this is close to the sound you're looking for:

Ritchie Blackmore - "Apache"

Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Uh well I have dialup, so no youtube for me but thanks.

I dont want to play anything in particular that you would know (other than early Jefferson Airplane as a starting point for the discussio ), I just want a certain sound(s).
I guess first and foremost I want kind of an ectoplasmic trippy sound. Everything else comes after that. I presume I can make more than one sound from the same guitar. I think I will have to try strats and teles to see which I want first, because I like what I've read about both. But I think Jorma played a Gibby, not sure I really need to copy him exactly though....

Is there a way to just buy one gadget with different effects all in one for a reasonable price, you know fuzz and reverb (though I have that) and echo and whatever...I've never even touched an electric guitar, nor would I know what to do if I did...
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 PM

You are spot on about Jorma. He is, to this day a pretty hard core Gibson guy. H doesn't really do Surf, but he certainly had his psychedelic days!!!

There are some great instructional DVD's by Jorma available through HomeSpun, or you could go study with him at his ranch, Fur Piece Ranch.

There are ALOT of multi-effect pedals out there. I can't recommend one as I don't particularly like them. Others do, and I am not saying they are wrong. I know the Line 6 stuff gets good rep.

Jorma has also been known to play a Tele-type guitar. He is not a Strat guy.

Quote:
Uh well I have dialup, so no youtube for me but thanks.

I dont want to play anything in particular that you would know (other than early Jefferson Airplane as a starting point for the discussio ), I just want a certain sound(s).
I guess first and foremost I want kind of an ectoplasmic trippy sound. Everything else comes after that. I presume I can make more than one sound from the same guitar. I think I will have to try strats and teles to see which I want first, because I like what I've read about both. But I think Jorma played a Gibby, not sure I really need to copy him exactly though....

Is there a way to just buy one gadget with different effects all in one for a reasonable price, you know fuzz and reverb (though I have that) and echo and whatever...I've never even touched an electric guitar, nor would I know what to do if I did...
Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 PM

As far as 'Apache" goes, the original is a great surf standard - It's by Jorgen Ingmann.

The Ventures are a must - and so is Dick Dale and the Deltones.

Fender Twin Reverb amps are clean, loud, and the reverb is surf guitar heaven. However, there are many ways to get there. For foot pedal effects, look up Robert Keeley Electronics and check out his site. If he has the pedal you're looking for, he makes the best sounding one - he builds from scratch and mods others pedals to sound their best. Make sure your guitar has a Fender-type whammy bar.

Surf's Up! Hang Ten! Toes on the Nose!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 PM

I would suggest a multi-effects pedal to start.... once you figure out what effects you like you can invest in individual pedals later

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars