The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 PM

Default Why Does a Squier Sound Good to Me?!

I have been playing acoustic electric for about 10+ years but today I decided to "PLAY" with a Fender Squier Affinity (made in China). I turned up the gain and just played some songs and was surprised that I actually liked the sound that was coming out of the amp (Fender Frontman 25R). Is there something wrong with my ears?! This guitar and amp combined is only like $200 and the quality is supposed to be at the bottom level, isn't it? What's wrong with my ear? I can't wait to try an Fender American Strat or a Gibson Les Paul Standard.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:02 PM

$200 or not, if it sounds good to you and it is fun then all is good. Squier's can be pretty decent guitars (they are just kind of hit or miss). Alot of folks play them. Alot of them replace the pickups and electronics.

The biggest difference you would hear between the Squier and an Am Standard Strat would be the pickups and electronics. Yes, the Am Standard's neck, frets and finish are nicer, but depending on your Squier and how much you are gonna play maybe not worth the extra $.

I would first think of upgrading your amp.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 PM

If it sounds good it sounds good!!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 05-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Guest 2143

I am of the opinion that some people do not trust their ears enough when selecting guitars, amps, etc., and instead assume that the more money they spend the "better" it will all sound. I think people get caught up in what types of woods guitars are made out of and other details. I am not saying these things are not important, but I am saying that ultimately what matters is what sounds best to the musician. I would not assume that you will like an American Standard better, if you can keep an open mind and let your ears decide. Just my opinion here, of course.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I am of the opinion that some people do not trust their ears enough when selecting guitars, amps, etc., and instead assume that the more money they spend the "better" it will all sound. I think people get caught up in what types of woods guitars are made out of and other details. I am not saying these things are not important, but I am saying that ultimately what matters is what sounds best to the musician. I would not assume that you will like an American Standard better, if you can keep an open mind and let your ears decide. Just my opinion here, of course.
You are 100% correct. I tended to think that the higher the cost the better it is when in fact the most important thing is how it sounds to you. I have been bias against cheap guitars but this squier kind of opened up my mind.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:04 AM

I had the same experience once too, when I came to the local shop to test Digitech Bad Monkey stompbox. Seller took Squier off the wall, plugged it to Bad Monkey, and then in Fender Frontman 15R - it was one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard
So, maybe Fender guitars should be amplified only by Fender amps? Go figure

But I love Frontmans by itself, once I had 15R, one of the nicest clean sounds out of there, not the hi-gainer though
Blueridge BG-140

Currently have:
Furch G-20CM cut with L.R. Baggs Element
Old 05-29-2011, 04:36 AM

Another vote for the amp making the Squier sound great. I have a Frontman 25R and think the overdrive channel is very smooth and non-buzzy. I did replace the speaker with a Carvin which helped the bass response...
Old 05-31-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Another vote for the amp making the Squier sound great. I have a Frontman 25R and think the overdrive channel is very smooth and non-buzzy. I did replace the speaker with a Carvin which helped the bass response...
...but I thut Fender Frontman's were practice amps...(sorry I don't know much about the "electric" side of guitars)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post
...I can't wait to try an Fender American Strat or a Gibson Les Paul Standard.
Hi rudals…

Glad you liked it. I have played many 'other' strats which sound really nice, and I can get good music out of. There is nothing wrong with the Squier line.

The deficiencies in the low end Strats tend to manifest as poor response of the tremolo bar and the strings coming back to rest in tune, a scratch pot or or things like that. All can be rectified rather inexpensively.

My gigging partner - who can be a gear-snob - bought a Squier Tele and changed the pickups to what he considers moderately better, set it up well, and it sounds great out front and plays very nice from the player's perspective.

I own a 1993 Fender American Strat w/ lace pickups, a HipShot spring assembly and roller nut. It's a great guitar that sounds fabulous, but I've sure played some less elaborate Strats which play and sound really nice too.

I do think electric guitars tend to fare better in the inexpensive realm than acoustics.

And who cares what some people call practice amps. I use a Fender Blue's Jr for about everything, because it sounds great. If the hall is too big for it to carry on it's own, we have SM-57s in the bag and just mic it and mix it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 AM

The Frontman series are simply entry-level amps from Fender. The term "practice amp" usually refers to low power amps used to practice at home/bedroom levels.

Regarding the Squiers, there are some truly dreadful models in their lineup, but the Classic Vibe series is simply amazing for the price. I have two CV Strats and a CV Tele along with several other MIM, MIA and CS/Signature Fenders. The fit/finish of the CV Squiers is easily the equal of any MIA Standard in my collection and the fretwork is up there with my Custom Shop models. The neck profiles tend to be a bit thin for my tastes, but that's no fault of the guitar.

The wiring, switches and pots tend to be junk, but you can replace all that for about $40-$50, excluding the pickups. And even if you replace those, you're still paying less than you would for a MIM Standard and often getting a better quality guitar in the process. However, your resale value will never be the same as a guitar with the name "Fender" on the headstock.

I'm still a "Fender Guy" when it comes to Strats and Teles', but I certainly don't look down my nose at CV Squier. They really are fantastic guitars.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 AM

I saw a band called Marillion live several years ago. This band is very big outside of America, but more of a "club band" in the States. I managed to get close enough to the stage to check out the Strat and was shocked to find he was playing a Squire. This band has performed to sold out soccer stadiums in other countries and the guy is playing a Squire?

Bottom line: the're decent guitars that can be very good guitars with the right components and setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars