The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Default Modeling Amps

Does anyone have any experience w/ modeling amps? I think that ‘ve narrowed it down to these two

Fender Mustang

http://www.fender.com/products/musta...?prodNo=230001

or

Vox Valvetronix

http://www.voxamps.com/us/valvetronixplus/

Can anyone give me a little advice or comparison on these or recommend a different one

thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM

You get what you pay for. Check out this...
http://www.fractalaudio.com/
Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 AM

I, personally, don't like them yet, but they are getting better. The Fractal Audio one is getting a lot of great press. I have the Zappa Plays Zappa CD which I believe has Dweezil playing through one and it sounds great. The new Line6 HD is getting good press too. But, all of the cheap ones that I have tried sound pretty bad. OK at low volumes, but you get that volume up, then watch out. The sound doesn't scale well.
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy
Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 PM

Don't rule out Roland Cubes.

Modeling amps are a "jack of all trades, master of none," really, but some of them, like the Valvetronix and Cubes, are good enough at what they do that they are more than useable for practice and even gigging, if a lot of different tones are needed.

The Cubes also have 2 sounds that are good enough to "set it and forget it"--the JC Clean and the Blackface Model--good enough just to use on their own and not bother with all the other bells and whistles.

I have no experience with the Mustangs--early reports are that folks like 'em.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM

At first I thought it was so cool how you could get so many different sounds, and then, I had a lot of fun trying em all out. but once I started putting it to real use, I found I liked the one that sounded a lot like a twin blackface, or whatever.

and then I put it next to a real one.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 PM

I should have posted this in my post. Playing is just a hobby for me, it will just be used in house, volume really isnt an issue either & I am am just looking for a versatile good sounding amp
Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM

I have a Vox VT50 and like it. However, I've gotten sucked into the whole tube amp deal so I don't use the Vox much anymore. I'm almost always plugged into a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. I think that I may look into opening up the back on the VT50 because otherwise it sounds like it has a little too much bass to it sometimes (it sits in a closed back cabinet which I do not like).

There are definately some great models on the VT50 and you can get just about any sound you're looking for. Also, it's nice having all those effects to choose from and play with.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Shakey View Post
I should have posted this in my post. Playing is just a hobby for me, it will just be used in house, volume really isnt an issue either & I am am just looking for a versatile good sounding amp
I am exactly the same way. I play in, never out, these days. when I said "put it to use," I was talking about just playing thru it with my kid and recording myself on my computer at home and stuff, after the initial newness wore off.

if you plug a modeling amp into (some) PAs, or just need to record yourself real quick, or you're jamming with friends and stuff, or even on some gigs when you need a variety of tones, it can be really cool and easy to use, a cost-effective lifesaver. ironically i find it to be most uninspiring when i am using it by myself at home, and i can hear every little nuance, or lack thereof.

i'd like to have a really incredible tube amp that sat at home and never moved, and that i could mic and get great sounds, but then, also have a modeling amp that was lightweight and that i could schlep everywhere. that, to me, would be ideal.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm really digging my new Fender G-DEC 3 Blues Edition. They've added features that make them more expandable....

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-06-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:27 PM

right now I am using a Line 6 Spider 4 75w 1-12 amp. I use a floor board with it too. for me it works close enough and I get the FX I need and such. I barely have the volume turned up and already had some complaining at church( just a couple of older people) so a tube amp would be useless for me as you don`t get a decent tone unless it is turned up a good bit. Even low watt tube amps get too loud when you enter the area where they shine.( push the tubes a bit)

I have used Line 6 on and off for years. I like the tones and versatility much more the a roland cube.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM

I have two Vox VTs (a 15 and a 30)
I have 'em dialed in for the sound I want for my 360/12
Whether they sound like the amps they are allegedly "modeling" is beside the point for me
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDavid View Post
I have two Vox VTs (a 15 and a 30)
I have 'em dialed in for the sound I want for my 360/12
Whether they sound like the amps they are allegedly "modeling" is beside the point for me
Yeah, I think when you look at modeling amps as a cheap option to have a lot of different sounds, they make sense...if you expect them to sound exactly like the amp they're modeling, you'll be dissapointed (and a little foolish)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 PM

The Mustangs get very good reviews for the price.
I had an Eleven Rack which I liked a lot, but it didn't have a para eq at the time and you couldn't load Impulse Responses (IR) which make a big difference. IRs are like a Fishman Aura pedal, except they are of different speaker cabinets and mics and mic position. For that, you need the Fractal Axe.
If I were to go low cost, I'd probably go with a Mustang II and a used Aura pedal for acoustic sounds. Then I'd pay the $30 upgrade for the Aura to access their library of Acoustic IRs and run it through the Mustang aux input.

Excuse the playing and occasional clipping, but here's something I recorded direct into the computer using the Axe Standard with a Thorn Reso-Electric:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...howPlayer=true
Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Carvin has a low watt real tube amp now that you can dial in just about any tone you want. And, it is only 499. I use the big version of the amp (V3) for my rock band stuff. I wouldn't rule out a well designed small tube amp. The tones are incredibly rich and they are a blast. More knobs than buttons, but you can't go wrong.
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy
Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 PM

For home use I have a Boss Gt-8 into an Eidirol UA-25ex > USB's into my PC.
Also from the UA25 I have a pair of Active (Powered) Studio monitors.

For going out. I have either an Epi Valve Jr Combo or a Fender Hot Rod Dlx 1x12 with my GT-8. I've had this set up for a few years now and its really all I need, until the GT-12 comes out of course

Sitting on the couch I use my iPad with either Amplitube or the new Garage Band with is awesome for the $5 app price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars