The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM
Guest4562

Might work if you're always on a proper stage. In real life gigging you're likely to be stuck in all sorts of places that might or might not lend themselves to using the line array as intended, thereby eliminating the need for monitors. I think it prudent always to have a Plan B.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:28 AM

A few years ago, I bought an older model Bose L1 used, in great shape at a great price from a fellow AGFer. Man, has that thing come in handy in a wide variety of setting! Most of the time when I use it, I don't need a monitor. But it's not well suited for everything I do. I still use my Ultrasound AG50 amp more than the L1, because I often play in two kinds of situations:
  1. a relatively small room where the AG50 is plenty, and
  2. in large situatios that have their own PAs; I use the AG50 on a tilting stand as a stage monitor, going to it and the PA from a DI.

On a Musicians Friend Stupid Deal of the Day a while back, I also bought a little Gemini ES 08P, a 2-channel 8" powered speaker, primarily as a mini-PA for when even the AG50 was a bit much. It has also seen double duty as a stage monitor/sound disperser on occasion. Haven't had to use it with the L1 yet, but can foresee a time when it might be handy. I like having flexibility!

cotten
Old 05-17-2017, 01:08 PM

My duo partner and I use a Fishman SA300X system w/Expander and Sub for 99% of our gigs. No need for monitors. On the very rare occasion we need something louder, the venue either provides the system or we use 2 QSC K10's with Fishman Loudbox Mini's as monitors. I've never played an acoustic gig where I've had to bring more than that and I've averaged about 70 gigs/year over the last several years.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Don't be afraid to experiment with in ear monitoring. Light and efficient
Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
When my band plays out I bring 70 lbs of FOH speakers, 60 lbs of stage monitors, 70 lbs of cables, 60 lbs of stands, yada yada...

The thing is, portability is REALLY climbing the priority list lately.

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I feel your pain. We use K8s + an EV sub + a digital mixer + IEMs.

PM me and I'll send you our SLC schedule. Feel free to come talk gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification