The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 AM

Default Looking for my first classical guitar

I started playing last Fall and have enjoyed it a lot. I recently started private lessons. My teacher has me learning out of the Parkening Guitar Method. I didn't realize I would like playing this style of music this much. I'm looking for a classical guitar under $500.

The Cordoba Dolce 7/8 looks pretty nice, but there aren't any around me to try before I buy. I think I would like the smaller size. My kids can learn on it when they are ready. Anything else I should look at?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new interest!

I have a copy of the Parkening Guitar Method that I bought in the mid-1980s, when I majored in classical guitar performance under one of Parkening's protoges at Montana State University - Bozeman... where Parkening was the head of the guitar department at the time. He's always been one of my favorite classical players.

In your budget the Cordobas, Yamahas, and La Patries are generally king. Look for a solid top. I would highly recommend a full-size instrument, as the playability in terms of string and fret spacing is going to be what you want. Not mention the fact that a full-sized instrument is going to have a much fuller tone and more volume. But obviously, your preference is what matters. I will say that if you could try several reduced-scale instruments alongside several full-sized instruments at a similar price point... you'd likely prefer the sound and playability of the larger instruments. I have 1/4 and 1/2 sized classical guitars that I bought for my kids when they were little and their tone/playability does not compare to my full-sized instruments. Nor do the reduced-size instruments that I've bought over the years as travel instruments compare to my full-sized ones. It's always a trade-off. But if you're just seeking something to play for your own enjoyment then it might not matter.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:54 PM

I have not played the C5 Dolce. But I have played a few of the full sized C5 and C7 models. Both are excellent in their price ranges. The C5 is a fantastic value in my opinion. I have been looking for a C5 Dolce to play. I too, would like the ever-so-slightly smaller size and I don't think the smaller size would give up much, if anything, in tone compared to the full sized C5. The spruce C7 is tempting though.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical