The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 PM

Default C10 crossover - string spacing & questions

I'm interested in the C10 crossover. It seems like the best bang for your buck in the crossover scene. It appears to be the only crossover that is dedicated to acoustic sound, rather than being acoustic electric. I'd love it to have a cut-away, but anyway.

I can't find information on the string spacing at the saddle. Does anyone know what it is? Or can anyone measure it?

I currently have a Camps crossover, which cost me 700euros, but it is laminated back and sides and has electronics (which is some of the cost). I think the C10 will be a big upgrade on acoustic tone. If it is not, I can send it back.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 04-22-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:29 PM

Oh wow, I recently sold my C10 crossover or I'd have the information for you.

I loved the sound of the C10 crossover, but hated the spacing. The narrower width at the nut. It felt like I was putting 10lbs in a 5lb bag. The thicker nylon strings on the narrow width just weren't right for me.

I prefer the 1.96" width on my GK Pro.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I'm interested in the C10 crossover. It seems like the best bang for your buck in the crossover scene. It appears to be the only crossover that is dedicated to acoustic sound, rather than being acoustic electric. I'd love it to have a cut-away, but anyway.

I can't find information on the string spacing at the saddle. Does anyone know what it is? Or can anyone measure it?

I currently have a Camps crossover, which cost me 700euros, but it is laminated back and sides and has electronics (which is some of the cost). I think the C10 will be a big upgrade on acoustic tone. If it is not, I can send it back.
I measure 2 3/8" on my C9 Crossover (Cedar). I preferred the C9 (Cedar) to the C10 (Spruce), by the way. Was able to try both. Could have just been those examples and, of course, others might have preferred the C10. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I measure 2 3/8" on my C9 Crossover (Cedar). I preferred the C9 (Cedar) to the C10 (Spruce), by the way. Was able to try both. Could have just been those examples and, of course, others might have preferred the C10. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I currently have a cedar top crossover. For the music I play, I was thinking a spruce top might be more appropriate (this is purely speculative as I have little experience with nylon strings). I play Bert Jansch, John Fahey and other folk, blues, West African stuff. There is nowhere to try these guitars around here. I see now that there is a C9 crossover with a spruce top, so the difference is the rosewood back and sides (C10), or the mahogany back and sides (C9), I can't see any other difference. What are your thoughts?

Your measurement seems particularly wide at the bride. I converted into mm and it gave me 60.3mm - My current crossover has 55mm from the centre of the string, E to E and the saddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Oh wow, I recently sold my C10 crossover or I'd have the information for you.

I loved the sound of the C10 crossover, but hated the spacing. The narrower width at the nut. It felt like I was putting 10lbs in a 5lb bag. The thicker nylon strings on the narrow width just weren't right for me.

I prefer the 1.96" width on my GK Pro.
The GK Pro has a cutaway, which I like, but I'm not too bothered about the electronics. Mainly however, I come from steel strings, and I thumb over a lot. I also bend (but not electric guitar bends), for this reason I though the 48mm nut would be better, and I think (but not sure that), the radiused fret board helps with gripping a string when bending, and is slightly easier for barre chords. The GK pro is also not a full classical size, but then, I'm not sure if the body shape of the GK pro or the full classical size of the C10 crossover would be more appropriate for my music played acoustically. At the moment I tend towards the C10 crossover, but you have me thinking.

Despite the nut width difference (considering that I am currently happy with a 48mm nut width (skinny fingers, thumbing over), how else do these guitars compare (especially acoustically)? Could you also tell me the string spacing at the bridge for the GK pro?
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 04-22-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:34 AM

My calipers show the string spacing on my GK Pro at the bridge is 2.375".

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-22-2017, 06:57 AM
Guest 2143

I just remeasured and perhaps the string spacing at the saddle is 2 11/32" This is definitely the smallest it can be. I am not used to measuring string spacing at the saddle, so I am sorry if I am not as precise as some others.

I have no experience with the GK pro, so I cannot compare it with the C9 crossover. To my ears, the C9 (Cedar) crossover was a bit warmer and punchier than the C10 (Spruce) crossover I played. The C10 was a bit brighter, maybe even twangier in the trebles, that the C9. Obviously, all that matters is what you prefer.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Default C10

Pono makes a nice crossover without electronics and with a cutaway if you are considering any alternatives to the C-10 (you mentioned you wanted a cutaway). N30DC (spruce/rosewood) and N20DC (cedar/mahogany).

YouTube Site

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical