The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Default Electric Guitars Pricing/Dealers... Gibson

Hi guys, I'm considering buying a Gibson ES 335 or 339 but wanted to see if you guys know a good dealer or could PM me what an appropriate price/margin for these would be.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I would simply do a search on E-Bay on those two models. That will give you an indication of what people are asking for them. You can also see what they have sold for. I would them take it from there and see what you could find locally. -- Darwin
Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I would simply do a search on E-Bay on those two models. That will give you an indication of what people are asking for them. You can also see what they have sold for. I would them take it from there and see what you could find locally. -- Darwin
I've done that, I'm asking about new guitars though.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

You have done your homework. I don't know your location but most dealers will negotiate if you have done your research. I would suggest trying the Gibson you are thinking of buying as their consistency is all over the place. That is why you hear comments like "I happen to have a good one". I have tried some very high end Gibson acoustics and some are good and some have been very dull with no definition. I would expect the same could happen with 335s or 339s-- Darwin
Old 10-14-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Me too. And on Craigslist. Such a waste of money buying NEW guitars.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 10-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Me too. And on Craigslist. Such a waste of money buying NEW guitars.
Thanks guys, I agree, it's just hard to come across good used guitars in Chicago (been looking for the last two or three weeks) and want one soon.

Also, want to see if I could buy a new one for what I'm willing to spend for a used one, I would buy a new one.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Don't forget...it was mentioned but...
Looking on eBay only tells you what people are ASKING for a guitar. USUALLY TOO much.
You have to check eBay's COMPLETED listings. That's where you will find the true "value" of an item. You'll see at which price an item is liquid at..meaning, what an item WILL sell for and turn into cash.
The SOLD items in completed listings are the ones in green. It is the true "street price" of any item.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaren View Post
Don't forget...it was mentioned but...
Looking on eBay only tells you what people are ASKING for a guitar. USUALLY TOO much.
You have to check eBay's COMPLETED listings. That's where you will find the true "value" of an item. You'll see at which price an item is liquid at..meaning, what an item WILL sell for and turn into cash.
The SOLD items in completed listings are the ones in green. It is the true "street price" of any item.
Thanks blaren, I also do that already, I'm trying to get to the best new price.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM

If you're looking for a good semi-solid body electric, I would suggest you cruise the Internet for a used Guild Starfire, which is basically the same guitar, or a Heritage H-535 model, which is made by the Gibson employees who wouldn't move from Kalamazoo to Nashville. They're both great guitar models, do everything an ES-335 can do, and cost about $1000 less!
Heritage guitars also feature solid tops and backs, instead of laminates.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

FWIW Epiphone just started making a 339

If the quality is up to the level of the Dot models I've seen and played, this will be an absolute steal if you're looking for a 339 'clone'

https://www.martinshenandoahguitars.info/
Old 10-15-2011, 07:01 AM

Hi, Alex.

I'd recommend checking Wildwood and Dave's Guitar Shop. They have good selections, are good folks, and have good prices on new Gibsons. You can't go by their advertised prices though. You'll have to contact them about any particular guitar you are interested in.

Another avenue you may want check out if you haven't already done so, is The Gear Page. Lots of Gibsons for sale, but lots of discussion too if you browse around the site.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Hope this helps.

Larry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars