The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Zamboaa, That is one Pretty Guitar ^^^^^^^^^^
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Zamboaa, That is one Pretty Guitar ^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks Brad, the other pick guard I have is a 2 vintage anico humbuckers with a black pearled pick guard. Completely changes the looks and sound/tone. BTW it takes less then 5 minutes to change pick guards. They are plug and play....
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morty View Post
Looking for some opinions and/or comparisons of a Fender Strat (I like the Jeff Beck model) or a Taylor Solidbody.

I have never played electric and looking to venture into that arena.

Are the guitars comparable? Pros or cons of either?

I live in a pretty rural area of WA so a side by side is not really feasible.

I did do a search and saw a number of threads discussing the Strat but did not find one comparing the two.

Thanks again for any insight.
I've owned Strats for many a year, and still own my 1980 which I bought new ...it is my keeper! Wonderful guitars that are versatile versatile versatile. I prefer the SSS pup config, but for anyone who wants 96.365% Strat flavor with additional heavier rock leanings, the HSS is a tough act to beat for sheer versatility in covering tonal ground. And while to some, "image" seems shallow, one cannot discount the "cool factor" of owning a Strat. For those who dig em (as do I), the whole vibe of a good strat in your hands really is part of the love. That you like the Beck model says you're already leaning.

Taylor electrics are typical Taylor build quality and tone, which is to say excellent. Nothing bad to say about them. Nor do I agree with what many have opined as sounding "sterile" ...frankly I never even understood this term and simply take it to mean they personally don't care for the tone. Fine. But "sterile" as a descriptor makes no sense to me. And what Taylor offers beyond Strats are serious consistency. Fender QC is all over the place; never seen an aweful one personally, but some are def just ok, while others are clearly better. As you likely know, Taylor's QC is stellar, and every solidbody I've picked up over the years has been nothing but amazing players, with action and smoothness rivaling my nicest pro-setup Strats and LPs, and this out of the box ...not a small feat, this.

All that said, I don't think I will ever own a Tay solidbody simply because it's a flavor I don't care for only because my Strats/LPs cover the ground. Were a Taylor my only electric, I may be satisfied; not sure, really. And there's your unfortunate answer: the two are just too different. How do you quantify feel and tone? And the difference in scale length is a huge factor in both feel and tone. No nuanced difference between the two, IMHO; just very different guitars. If I were you, and this new direction into your first electric seems like a departure for you, then I'd take a day trip over to one or two of the big-box stores (Seattle??), and spend the day playing them all. You may end up with something you never expected.

Sorry for the long-winded response ...that's what coffee and an open morning affords me.
And post your success, will ya?

Edward
Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Zaboaa...that guitar is gorgeous!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am a big fan of Taylor quality and looks and love the new double cut away and the maple top ( see Zaboaa's beautiful SB) as well as the option of swapping out the pups for different sounds.

I will keep you posted when I make my final decision.

Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Taylor Pickups

I just bought a 2007 (new) Custom white classic. It sat in the store for almost 4 years simply because people didn't know what to make of them. I can tell you that it is among the best constructed guitars I've ever played. Maybe they improved the neck. I don't know. The neck is fine for me. I think the first electrics came only with the 3/4" Humbuckers. They are fine pick ups. I can hit a low E and it sustains for over three minutes on the clean channel of my Blackstar HT-60. It didn't even start to decay until close to the end!

I called Taylor because I wanted to know which was their hottest. They said the Alnico Humbucker. I know which pick guard to buy.

Personally, I don't know why there aren't more of them around. He said he had but mostly in Ministries.

This is a guitar to be reckoned with! It can't be too long before the general public finds out.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:53 AM

IMO, Taylor electrics are sort of like PRS guitars: both are fine instruments, and both do not sound like a real Strat or a real Les Paul. For example, when I listen to a song I can easily identify a Strat or a Paul, but I've never listened to a song and thought, "that's a Taylor solidbody or "that's a PRS."

When I played a Taylor solidbody I thought it looked great and played wonderfully, but in its stock configuration I thought it sounded a bit generic. I don't know how else to put it. It wasn't a bad tone and it wasn't a great tone, but it didn't wow me. Most guitars sound fine overdriven (and the Taylor was no exception,) but the Taylor clean sound was ho hum to me.

There are plenty of folks who like the sound of a Taylor solidbody or PRS (and I happen to own a PRS Custom 22), so that's fine. But for a FIRST electric guitar I'd have to recommend either a Strat or a Les Paul. There's something really, really cool and magical the first time you play a lick on your guitar and you realize you sound pretty darn close to Clapton or Beck or Jimi or Mark Knopfler. You can get to that place with a Strat, but you can't with a Taylor solidbody.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 AM

STRAT !! lol
Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I would say strat or tele, but unless the budget warrants, i would not buy fender unless it was a custom shop. There are loads of botique companies that make strats with singles or hums, just do a little reading. I will drop a link below-
http://www.andersonguitars.com/
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Cool Nice Geetar!

I love the Ebony fret boards on some Taylor electrics. I don't know why, being a premium guitar manufacturer and asking corresponding prices, they don't make ebony fret boards standard on all models. I played a Godin Icon 2 classic, which is a fabulous guitar for half the dough and they come with ebony finger boards as standard equipment.

SB
Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 AM

I own electric guitars (and acoustic guitars) that give me the sounds I hear in my head: Stratocasters, Telecasters, ES-335's, etc. Those sounds come from vintage style guitars with vintage style single coil and vintage style humbucker pickups.

I don't even know what the signature sound of a Taylor electric guitar is - let alone have the sound of a Taylor electric in my head!

I think the OP should get a classic electric guitar with classic pickups - one that he already knows and loves, like a Strat or Les Paul or ES-335 or the like.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 AM

similar to buying an acoustic, play everything you can until one of them sings to you. then, buy it!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars