The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-04-2023, 11:47 AM

I just saw that budget is not a restriction.
Thus, I would focus on the Everse 8 or Elite Acoustics for a battery amp and Acus, AER and Elite Acoustics for non battery amps.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 01-04-2023, 12:30 PM

Go play a bunch of different amps and see what fits your ears the best.

I played through a bunch of different amps through the years.

Peavey Ecoustic 112
Roland AC-100. Heavy but it sounded amazing. I am sort of wishing I'd kept it around.
Fishman Loudbox 180w
Fishman Acoustic Performer Pro
Ultrasound AG50DS2
Built my own out of mahogany
Daedalus C-81

I've got another Loudbox coming. It is one of the original 100w PROLBX400 models with 2 channels and effects loops on each channel. It will serve as a vocal amplifier since it supplies phantom to the 2 mics I have.

I don't expect it sound radically different from my Ultrasound, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it responds with my C-81. I will be running a line-out from my AG50DS2 into it.

I should be picking it up Friday afternoon.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Welcome ashadowman!

Is there a pickup in your guitar already and if so, which one?
It has the LR Bggs element
Old 01-04-2023, 01:45 PM

I suggest a decent preamp combined with a cheap PA speaker.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:46 PM

The LR Baggs Synapse makes acoustic-electric guitars sound really really good plugged in.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm so glad I bought my Carvin AG 300 while they were still being made. But that ship has sailed, so I'd get a PA speaker or two, and a mixer with a hi Z switch and some FX built in. A PA speaker is full frequency and can be something like a powered Behringer 8". Money no object, QSC.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-04-2023, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Hellop Ashadowman,

I'm using a felix2 preamp into a DaCapo 75 Amp and could not think of a better sounding combo that goes with all pickup systems and/or PA's.

Regards,
Billy
Old 01-04-2023, 05:04 PM

I love my AER amps. I have yet to find a better combination of tone, form factor, convenience and build quality. I have a Compact 60/4 and an older Alpha Plus that I bought secondhand as a backup/satellite speaker for when I want to run a stereo rig. In all honesty I’ve not found a room that the C60 can’t cope with, and for venues with a house PA I use the C60 as a guitar monitor. It’s a marvellous bit of kit and easily my favourite non-guitar gear purchase ever.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:25 PM

Welcome aboard... So many experienced musicians here with tons of knowledge and expertise.

I have the Fishman Artist and truly enjoy the sounds I get from it using my 814 and T5 (and a few other instruments) plugged in. I use it in the garage, my home and in a few church settings and it has never let me down. I don't need loud volumes, so it works well. I also have a Yamaha EMX sc 312 PA I can play through OR run the Artist into the PA. It works for me well.

I don't think you will find anyone here steering you wrong. As stated in other post(s), if you can try a few amps at your local music store, or try something a friend has, go for it.

Have a great day and make music and then more music...
Old 01-05-2023, 06:56 AM

I have a Bose S1-Pro which has a battery, but is for small/medium rooms. It will also take vocals.

I also have a Bose L1-Compact which will cover pretty darned large rooms, and I sometimes combine them. I also have an old (obsolete) Carvin AG100D that can be added if needed.

I'd love to play a Mesa Rossette, but there are none in my area.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-05-2023, 06:56 AM

I am very happy with the Fishman Loudbox mini. I have more than enough to play at home.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 01-05-2023, 10:43 AM

I may be on the side of overkill

I've managed to collect a few acoustic amps

Fishman Loudbox Artist
Fender Acoustasonic Jr. 1st generation, about the size of a Deluxe Reverb with 2 5" woofers and a Piezo driver, tilt back legs, and it's HEAVY but it sounds decent
Fender Acoustasonic Jr. , newer series, bought last year. Small footprint and 15lbs
2 Bose S1 Pros (I use these with a mixer, and that's my PA for larger venues)

Of the three, the Loudbox and newer Acoustasonic JR are the clear winners for a "stand alone" amp to plug in to for amplification as needed

The S1s work great and since they are battery operated, you can do gigs anywhere. Like for example... an apple orchard and on a beach where I needed to do a few songs during a wedding ceremony.

but to use JUST as an acoustic amp?

IMHO, the Fishman Loudbox or newer Fender Acoustasonic delivers more EQ options, expanded effects and a better reverb. (I'm not a big fan of the S1 Pro's onboard verb)

But there are so many products out there right now, with no budget limits, man you can do some serious shopping these days.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-06-2023, 06:34 AM

I love my Genzler.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:15 AM

I’ve been through a few amps and I currently have 2 - AER compact 60/3 slope and an Acus 8 forstrings.

Both sounds amazing to my ears and I gig with them both. Both have the option to take a DI/Line out to a house PA. The Acus is 200w and the AER is 60

I can’t believe how loud the AER goes though for a small amp it never has any trouble filling a room and it’s so light! My only minor complaint is the one level for reverb and then it’s panned between guitar and vocal channel.

The Acus has 3 channels which means I can run my vocal, guitar and a stomp drum pedal through it. It has a good EQ on each channel also with high, low, hi mid, lo mid and gain and volume. It looks very classy too.

I also give a shout-out to the Fishman Loudbox Mini for value - independent reverbs for both channels, Chorus which sounds pretty good, it projects well and the newer versions have a much better Tolex covering + it’s a good price

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-06-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko61 View Post
I am very happy with the Fishman Loudbox mini. I have more than enough to play at home.
Same. I went to a local music store that had a decent selection of acoustic amps. I quickly realized that anything more than the Loudbox Mini would be overkill for me. Plus, the bluetooth feature is pretty convenient to connect to my computer and phone to play Spotify through.
Fender EJ Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
larrivee