The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 09:51 AM

I agree. Being ex-Navy I find myself thinking of inanimate objects as being feminine - and also being quite superstitious as well so that I attribute personality to such things. This thread has made me realize that I do this with guitars as well.

When I look at guitars I also find that I'm quite a male pig, preferring certain body styles and color palettes. I find that I like my guitars to be "curvy." I like OM or GA shapes over dreadnoughts. I also like darker streaked hues of rosewood over the more ordinary browns of mahogany or the shimmery blonde color of maple. I find cocobolo and Madagascar rosewood to be alluring but each have a reputation with negative connotations of causing "trouble."

I will say no more in the interests of offending my wife who may one day read this - other than to say that I find her to be very similar in personality to my rosewood/sitka Larrivee OM-03R which I consider to be as close to perfect for me with certain limitations that I have to be mindful but respectful of.

The OM is medium sized and curvy. I find it to be very comfortable to cozy up to on the couch and wrap my arms around. It's heavier than mahogany but not excessively so.

The rosewood/aged sitka palette is a balance of tan with shimmering qualities and brunette with dark streaks and medium brown highlights - qualities my wife's complexion and hair coloring takes in my favorite summer months. That being said, there are some pale flecks of pore filler that

The Larrivee tone is one of articulation and balance with just enough sustain and bass without being "nasal". That being said, the OM's tonal character is such that if the strings are excited too much the tone can turn harsh. You should NEVER make it angry with heavy handedness or a purely self indulgent technique! Fortunately, in different settings - and sometimes with a bit of alternate tuning - it can sometimes feel slightly different and the thrill I had when I first picked it up years ago can come back anew.

OK - now that I've offended the fairer sex let me say that looking at my D-16GT I see a lot of myself. The color of the top has tanned over the years, though with some mineral streaking and a few scars here and there. The reddish brown of the mahogany seems flat and boring to the eye. Looking closely, it looks a bit artificial from some sort of product being applied to it to make it look similar to but significantly different than it would have become naturally over time. Its body is straighter and more significant in size than the OM and sort of resembles an apple. I'm told this is something that concerns many doctors and must be regulated with a specific diet and a certain amount of care. Certainly, I have to worry about it toppling over from time to time and the couch is not the best place to enjoy its company; it sounds much better walking about and requires time to wake up when just taken out of its case. The tone that has somewhat more bass than the OM but still somewhat articulate if you're in a certain mood. OTOH when the strings get tarnished the tone can be somewhat uninspiring. As for technique, it can sometimes sing with a soft touch but requires a bit more of a heavy hand to get it to respond to its fullest potential. Certainly, it likes a thicker pick to motivate it rather than bare fingers. When it all comes down to it, it's not the sexiest thing but it can be a workhorse and should suffice to get the job done if you don't have anything else better to use.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:01 AM

I guess I'm the odd one out. I won't skip over a funny-looking guitar, and if I like the sound I'll find myself thinking of it as oddly charming rather than ugly.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:03 AM
*mahoganut*

All things matter to me - looks, by which I mean shape, size, wood (grain, color, flame, etc.), bindings and other wood appointments... then playability, both body ergonomics as well as both hand ergonomics... then tone... then intonation... then craftsmanship (fit and finish)... then combinations... then some "magic" (any songs or progressions or single chords start to emerge as I play it?)...

There are priorities, though, but these come later in the decision process. I'd never buy a guitar whose tonal palette didn't thrill me in some way - whether it be solo-quality or just compliment vocals. Same with playability - at least the hard to change aspects like neck width or profile.

But assuming great tone and playability, I'll have to admit I won't be attracted to a guitar that doesn't just send me visually. I do have some which are mostly utility guitars - Rainsong for outside and humidity; Taylor GSMini high strung (although I'm partial to the body shape and like the mahogany...).

Walking the isles of the La Conner guitar festival a couple of weeks back, though, the shape and woods and visual design are what caught my eye on some, first. The rest of the proof of the pudding had to follow along for me to be really interested, though.

Phil
Old 05-27-2017, 10:09 AM

I like acoustics plain and typically looks don't matter much beyond wood quality. But I do admit to being attracted to the "Satan is Real" Martin though.

hunter

Old 05-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
I like acoustics plain and typically looks don't matter much beyond wood quality. But I do admit to being attracted to the "Satan is Real" Martin though.

hunter

That's Awesome Hunter! I remember that song! Lol
More recently as an intro to another song by Hank III!
no idea this guitar existed much less made by Martin!!! Too Cool!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 12:03 PM

I'm actually going the other way. I don't care much for the look of rosewood, but I think it's far better than any other tone wood.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:42 PM

I second the OP...if my 814ce wasn't so pretty, she'd be gone in favor of an HD28.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion