The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-27-2014, 04:10 AM

Default Compressors / levellers post mix?

I am curious to know if any acoustic players are using any compression or levelling between your main outputs and your front of house speakers?

In my case I am talking about powered speakers.

Playing mainly covers when playing in pubs and restaurants, I have a compressor for each channel / instrument and have been toying with the idea of adding one later just to smooth the final output.

Not that I am unhappy with the sound I have now, but I am always looking to improve if I can. Is this overkill?

I use multiple guitars and vocals into a Soundcraft EPM 8 then to RCF HD12s.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 AM

I am tempted to reply that the Compressor is the devil — certainly the energy of the guitar player but that depends on the situation. I play mainly solo and would never use one of anything like finer style guitar but for cutting through with a band they can be very useful.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM

I would try not to use too many compressors...maybe one (subtle) on the main buss. But unless you have clipping issues, I would try to not use them. They can add noise to your signal.

Last edited by CrankyChris; 08-27-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris View Post
I would try not to use too many compressors...maybe one (subtle) on the main buss. But unless you have clipping issues, I would try to not use them. They can add noise to your signal.
Thanks for both your replies.

In my public work I do mainly covers using melodic rhythm to accompany my singing. Songs like 'New Town Velocity' and 'Free Falling' for example.
For the Martin, Taylor and Yairi I use just an Aphex Compellor, which is quite transparent and gives me just enough. The 12 string needs a little more and it gets some tube compression. I don't do much fingerstyle in my paid work.

My voice, is quite hefty and deep and has always needed some compression to help bring it out in a mix. So I only ever have two compressors running at anyone time, and thinking about something on the main

The goal for me, especially when playing live in a restaurant is to deliver consistent and moderate volume. I don't have a sound person, playing solo as I do, and was thinking a little something in the main bus might help to keep the sound tighter and controlled.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 PM

It will help it to be tighter and more controlled - it will also remove some of your dynamics. More importantly, it will lower your gain before feedback considerably.

I'm not sure it's a great idea. That being said try it, see if you like it. Remember that very subtle is best.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 PM

Sounds as though I do pretty similar stuff to you. I have never even considered using compressors in such a situation and I'm not sure why you would need to.

Okay it may smooth things some but it also kills all the dynamics which is part of the performance. The main thing to watch is the gain levels through the chain. Pedals into mixer and out to speakers. The mic level relative to guitar etc.

As for different levels for instruments, the odd occasion I need to switch I use a boost on my radial PZ Deluxe for the lower output guitar. Preset, so just a foot on a switch. I will say I do have a compressor pedal inline used to smooth things for certain songs/passages and the odd bit of slide I toss in. I guess it depends on what sound you go for.

Kris
Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
It sounds as if where I am now might be as good as it gets.
That's ok - sometimes the gear thing can be a distraction..

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification