The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 PM

Default Any Formula 1 Fans?

Can`t help myself, I`m Australian and unbelieveably proud of Daniel Ricciardo`s performance this year.
I believe F1 is not very popular in the USA, is that right?
Ricciardo, or `Danny-Ricky` as I call him, has completely outdriven his 4-time World Champion team mate Sebastion Vettel. Sometimes in life you get a single chance at the big time, some grab it, some lose it. This is one of those times.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 PM

He has done well this year, very unexpected. Most seem to think it's because he was not so attuned to the older configuration and has adapted to the high torque turbos more easily than Vettel.

Best drive of the year so far was Alonzo in Hungary. To hold second with the state of the tires he had was a towering feat of driving.

The company I work for used to sponsor Williams so I'm glad to see them making a bit of a comeback.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:53 PM

It depends. In the 70's I was a wannabe F1 driver. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. When I realized it would never be me out there my interest faded. I still think F1, as well as the upcoming Volvo sailing race http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/home.html, are the coolest race things out there.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
He has done well this year, very unexpected. Most seem to think it's because he was not so attuned to the older configuration and has adapted to the high torque turbos more easily than Vettel.

Best drive of the year so far was Alonzo in Hungary. To hold second with the state of the tires he had was a towering feat of driving.

The company I work for used to sponsor Williams so I'm glad to see them making a bit of a comeback.
Alonso drove his butt off to keep both Mercedes behind him so I agree but it was Ricciardo who overtook both Hamilton and Alonso to win the race.
Something else to consider when looking at Ricciardo`s performance this year is the fact that Mark Webber made no secret to the fact that Vettel got preferential treatment at Red Bull. Yep, the best of everything went to Vettel as proven when Red Bull pulled a nose/spoiler off Webbers car at a British GP and put it on Vettel`s car. Mark won that race and was heard by everyone when he radioed the pits "Not bad for a number 2 driver!" So it wouldn`t be out of the question to believe that situation still exists at Red Bull and why not? Vettel is a 4 time Champion, he`s earned it right? But does that now mean that despite using the `premium` equipment Vettel is still being out-driven by Ricciardo? Looks like it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post

Agreed he has done really well. That drive by Alonzo was the best 14 laps we've seen in a long time. Outstanding racing!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:55 AM

I am so happy for Ricciardo. Remember when Red Bull named him last year? There were a lot of people, fans and media, questioning the move. And under tremendous pressure and with a big smile he goes and proves how fast he is. Love it.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM

Lewis had himself a pretty good race. One of the better F1 races.

Last edited by grampa; 08-07-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Hi, Yes I'm a F1 fan - and I'm a Brit....in England !

I think that you have every right to be proud of the big smiler DR and I still feel that it was most unfair that he was disqualified in the first race of the season, losing a valuable 18 points and his first F1 trophy.

No fair !
However Daniel is proving to be a great driver.
His good down home Aussie SOH and a smile as wide as the great big bugger all, has made him a big hit with the fans and interviewers!

Exciting series this year!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic