The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I visited a county fair a few weeks ago and I thought I had gotten lost and ended up at a tattoo convention. Being summer time, lots of flesh of both genders is exposed and the number and location of tattoos these days is really getting kooky imho. What do these 20 and 30 something youngn's think those tats are going to look like when they hit their "golden years?" Those tats will be faded and wrinkled beyond recognition and I bet many will regret ever going under the needle. But hey, what do I know, I'm just an old fart untattooed curmudgeon. But dagnabit don't say I didn't warn ya'll! I prefer the days when only pirates and criminals sported tattoos.
Gotta agree with you, Wadcutter. As trends go, I suppose tattoos are better than cutting or drug abuse... but not if they're combined. I guess it's like Bugs Bunny said: "Humans are the CRAZIEST people."
Old 07-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Musical minimalist

Don't care if someone wants to do it to themselves, but I've never considered it for a second.

Regarding ladies - a little tasteful something or other wouldn't bother me, but not like most that I see.

A couple years back I was at a health club out of town. I was running on the treadmill and this cute gal got on the one next to me - we were chatting a bit and I thought she looked like "the girl next door" Then she took her T-shirt off and had a spaghetti strap type halter top on to workout in - there was an all black tattoo that covered her whole upper back....like a large eagle or something.

Not my style - sorry.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:47 PM

I remember as a kid seeing my father with his navy tattoos. Over the years they got looking pretty sloppy to the point they were unrecognizable. It was then I decided never to get one.

I guess that I may be the generation that skipped the phase, my youngest son however has got a few. The earlier quote from Jimmy Buffet is appropriate "permanent reminder of a temporary feeling" is what he has. I think it might be my own fault that he got them though. I gave him fatherly advise not to, so of course he did!

Last edited by MGap; 07-30-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 PM

Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
I think "sometimes" is probably a generously modest estimate, Louie!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 PM

I'm 57; never wanted a tat. I'm failing to see any problem with any of the above tattoos.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:16 AM

Let's wait and see how THEY look when they're 57. I agree they look very nice now but time will catch up with them.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
...and sometimes the exact opposite is true.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I consider body mutilation is an appalling and primitive fashion, and proves that we are still very tribal in our instincts.

The fashion sector can make us wear silly trousers, dangerous shoes long/short skirts (women ...mostly) and all sort of silly an impractical clothes but the sheople will also willingly have their bodies permanently mutilated to keep up with fashion".

It shows the power of the media, notional celebrity, and the fashion businesses to steer the easily led.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I consider body mutilation is an appalling and primitive fashion, and proves that we are still very tribal in our instincts.

The fashion sector can make us wear silly trousers, dangerous shoes long/short skirts (women ...mostly) and all sort of silly an impractical clothes but the sheople will also willingly have their bodies permanently mutilated to keep up with fashion".

It shows the power of the media, notional celebrity, and the fashion businesses to steer the easily led.
Lets also mention peer pressure.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
...and sometimes the exact opposite is true.

Probably MOST of the time the exact opposite is true.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:

In complete agreement.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post

I'm 57; never wanted a tat. I'm failing to see any problem with any of the above tattoos.
I wouldn't say I have a 'problem' with them, but in my opinion, they are terribly ugly and detract from the beauty of the females in the pics.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 AM

Yeah like putting graffiti on the Mona lIsa.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Gotta disagree with you on some of this.

First the blatantly obvious, tattoos are not mutilation in any conventional sense of the word. A tattoo is an adornment quasi-permanent yes, mutilation no.
And glittering sweeping generality about motivation is just that and often prone to significant simplistic error. Of course fashion, media, and celebrity and peer pressure can have an influence on choices just as any advertising.
But to condemn a particular adornment choice as being wholly externally influenced and only for those "easily led" is pretty much the epitome of presumption.

And to be fair as far as "being easily led" I would offer that, little is more sheepish in behavior than incessant manifestations of "fear of different" masquerading as social comment. If fear were not at least a partial component lurking at a fundamental often subliminal level, then decrying and condemning something which can't possibly have any real actual affect on oneself or life, would then arguably never come into consideration. Something to stop an consider, yes?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-31-2014 at 08:26 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic