The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarre View Post
I'm not taking sides one way or the other, but a federal judge in Missouri ruled that flashing headlights to warn other drivers of a police presence is protected by the first amendment.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...s-speed-traps/
ACLU. No surprise Can't comment further without breaking political rules . Regardless, if a judge allowed me to obstruct justice against traffic violators, I have my own principles that preclude me from doing so.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
ACLU. No surprise Can't comment further without breaking political rules . Regardless, if a judge allowed me to obstruct justice against traffic violators, I have my own principles that preclude me from doing so.
I am flashing my high beams at you for your comment about the ACLU ("no surprise") and the eye roll emoji. While that level of violation is commonly allowed (like 5mph over the speed limit), I saw a moderator lurking with a "political/not nice comment detector", and I don't want you to get a ticket. It is a big deal to get one here on AGF. And I think the flash of my high beams is sufficient to bring you into compliance in the days and weeks ahead.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Hey, if he violates the rules, that's his choice, and he should not be warned by a flash of your lights. Let him receive his AGF ticket, and take responsibility for any transgression. Actually, why wait until you are caught by the police? If you exceed the posted speed, and no cop is there to catch you, are you any less guilty? The next, more responsible step when noticing that you are speeding, would be to drive to the nearest police station and turn yourself in.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I am flashing my high beams at you for your comment about the ACLU ("no surprise") and the eye roll emoji. While that level of violation is commonly allowed (like 5mph over the speed limit), I saw a moderator lurking with a "political/not nice comment detector", and I don't want you to get a ticket. It is a big deal to get one here on AGF. And I think the flash of my high beams is sufficient to bring you into compliance in the days and weeks ahead.
Thanks, man, but I'll take what's coming to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Hey, if he violates the rules, that's his choice, and he should not be warned by a flash of your lights. Let him receive his AGF ticket, and take responsibility for any transgression. Actually, why wait until you are caught by the police? If you exceed the posted speed, and no cop is there to catch you, are you any less guilty? The next, more responsible step when noticing that you are speeding, would be to drive to the nearest police station and turn yourself in.
Doesn't everyone do that
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Ohhh Snap!

On a side bar:
The ACLU doesn't pick sides. They even stood up for the "The Great Rotund Radio Bloviator" when Florida wanted to get his medical records after he got caught w/ illegal Oxi.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM

To get back to the original post...I only use hi beams when there are no other vehicles around...I don't want some driver I blinded coming at me. And I virtually never use them on the freeway.

I use to flash my lights at other drivers to warn them of police, but I stopped doing that in my 40s. They don't want a ticket, they can slow down.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
To get back to the original post...I only use hi beams when there are no other vehicles around...I don't want some driver I blinded coming at me. And I virtually never use them on the freeway.

I use to flash my lights at other drivers to warn them of police, but I stopped doing that in my 40s. They don't want a ticket, they can slow down.
Bet ya still warn bikers Phil !
Old 07-28-2014, 08:43 PM

I seldom use high beams - only on the darkest nights when there is very light traffic. Almost never on the interstate, because you rarely go more than a few seconds without another vehicle coming within blinding range. I flash back mercilessly when another driver's lights blind me. The ones shining from behind are the worst because they are so hard to escape.

I flash to warn fellow motorists of road hazards. That includes speed traps, but only on the highway to/from home. I do it there because 1) 30 years' experience tells me the speed limits are absurdly low, and 2) other drivers on that road are my homies and I would like them to return the favor.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 PM

I rarely use high beams because the streets I'm on are well-lit enough and/or there's always enough traffic around to warrant NOT using them.

As to speeding, since most highways where I live are NOT regulated due to safety (they're regulated due to EPA requirements), I have no qualm speeding in them . . . as long as I'm driving prudently.

And, yes, I'll warn other drivers of an officer by flashing my lights if I think about it. I'm not sure most people even know that flashing your lights can mean that anymore, though.

And, I've been known to "roll" a few stop lights / stop signs (at very low speed and only after carefully checking out traffic) . . . which should make the EPA happy and compensate for my speeding.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

For the 30 years I lived in NW Wyoming there was so little traffic I used high beams most of the time. My procedure was as soon as I could see headlights or taillights I dimmed mine. And flashing headlights meant "wildlife on road slow down" particularly in daylight.

MY driveway but you get the idea

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
And flashing headlights meant "wildlife on road slow down" particularly in daylight.
It's pretty much a universal signal for "slow down . . something's up ahead" for those approaching you. Sometimes that "something" might be a cop.

For people in front of you, it's pretty much a universal signal for "get the heck outta my way!"
Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
It's pretty much a universal signal for "slow down . . something's up ahead" for those approaching you. Sometimes that "something" might be a cop.

For people in front of you, it's pretty much a universal signal for "get the heck outta my way!"
And I never, EVER get out of their way. That's always a good time to feign the brake lights, and give it some gas!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Bet ya still warn bikers Phil !
Nope..........

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I just LOVE doing this when the opportunity arises

H
Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

True I was simply pointing out that in my situation, it was usually maybe 95 % of the critters. Occasionally an ice patch on an otherwise bare pavement, or some other quirk of road hazard.

Never flashed people in front of me, figured if I was going to pass, it was my job to do so when safe not theirs to alter something they were doing. Understanding I am talking two lane 55 and 65 MPH highways, nearest freeway was 180 miles away.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-29-2014 at 08:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic