The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 AM

Default About to start college...

Well starting in a little less than a month. I'm simultaneously incredibly nervous and excited to move in and put the rather unpleasant experience I had in High School behind me.

I was hoping some fellow forum members might be willing to offer some words of wisdom, advice, or suggestions as I leave for school. Anything would be appreciated
Old 07-27-2014, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Remember that everybody there is in the same boat as you - you're all in this together so don't be afraid to put yourself out there a bit and have fun!

Good luck - it's an exciting time!

-Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson is go View Post
Well starting in a little less than a month. I'm simultaneously incredibly nervous and excited to move in and put the rather unpleasant experience I had in High School behind me.

I was hoping some fellow forum members might be willing to offer some words of wisdom, advice, or suggestions as I leave for school. Anything would be appreciated
College is the most fun you can have in life - So long as you keep your grades up! Where are you going to college at?

Don
Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 AM

Thanks Mike, it's good to have some perspective,

Thanks Don, I'm going to a state school (SUNY Geneseo) for at least the first year and I'm hoping to transfer to either Brown or Cornell. Although I had the SAT scores for those schools, I slacked off in High School and graduated with a B average.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 AM

Study first, party after. Party first and study after doesn't work too well.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm gonna go against the grain:

I agree that you want to study first, but college is often when you "discover your mind." It is an exciting time of discovery. You don't need to party, you don't get anything from partying. Don't waste your money, time, or brain cells on partying.

Make friendships, explore nature (if your college is out in nature), find what you love, if you haven't already. As far as learning is concerned, outside the classroom is often as important as inside the classroom. Your network of fellow students can be a great resource towards UNDERSTANDING.

And now a piece of advice from my dad, who was a college professor: Get in the professor's face the first day of class. Show interest. Introduce yourself and give the name on his roles a face. It forces him or her to treat you as a person, where you can just be a number. Take every opportunity to reinforce that. It worked for me.

Have fun!!!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 AM

Forget High School. Get good grades in college, any college. For the rest of your life, nobody will care how you did in primary or secondary school. Get an education, not a degree. Be open to new ideas, but be willing to test them against reality.

You don't mention your anticipated major, but take some elective classes outside your course of study. If Economics, take some art history and if Art History, take some Economics.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:19 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I'm gonna go against the grain:

I agree that you want to study first, but college is often when you "discover your mind." It is an exciting time of discovery. You don't need to party, you don't get anything from partying. Don't waste your money, time, or brain cells on partying.

Make friendships, explore nature (if your college is out in nature), find what you love, if you haven't already. As far as learning is concerned, outside the classroom is often as important as inside the classroom. Your network of fellow students can be a great resource towards UNDERSTANDING.

And now a piece of advice from my dad, who was a college professor: Get in the professor's face the first day of class. Show interest. Introduce yourself and give the name on his roles a face. It forces him or her to treat you as a person, where you can just be a number. Take every opportunity to reinforce that. It worked for me.

Have fun!!!

Bob
Excellent advice! Regardless of your major, take at least one basic finance class. The principles, formulas and applications are invaluable. You will utilize what you learn in nearly every business you will decide to enter for your career and your personal life.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Study first, party after. Party first and study after doesn't work too well.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!!
Yes. Develop your work and study ethic before you develop your party ethic!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:21 AM

Stay true to yourself, work hard, ask questions -- and remember: you don't ever need to compromise yourself in any way just to validate somebody else's ego or wishes.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Default Cast a wide net

I will echo what many have said: forget high school. I had a B average in high school, and went to a Jr. College for the first two years of college. Ended up graduating Phi Beta Kappa and summa cum laude from the University of California. Went to one of the best graduate schools in the nation, and got a Ph.D. in my chosen field. Have had a great career.

Bob Womack's advice is on target. Read a lot...not just your texts, but novels, great literature, "spiritual" books. Get lots of experience: of people, of nature, of adventures.

Keep your mind clear; partying may or may not happen, but just remember that partying will not enhance your life. With only a very few exceptions, it is the junk food of the mind and psyche. But do enjoy yourself in other ways.

While school can be stressful, it also can be one of the most expansive times of life. So learn how to manage the stress (good preparation for the rest of your life, which will continue to offer up stressful situations until/including the time of your death), and aim to have a well-rounded, enriching time.

I am happy for you!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

What school are you going to attend?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Brian,

I'm no good except for giving you a big good luck shout out!

(when I was in your position preparing to go to college in the Fall, for some inexplicable reason - think female - I ended up moving up to Chicago and playing music there and didn't get around to college for another 24 years...)

So have fun and ed-ju-ma-kate yourself!!

All the best,

Dave
Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Good luck, Brian. You'll probably have a lot of fun, but just remember why you're there. If you flunk out, all that fun stops in a hurry.

It's a great experience. You'll meet a lot of people and some will remain friends for the rest of your life. You'll meet people from a much wider geographic area than you probably did in high school. Enjoy the differences that you share and learn something from them. Your college transcript will follow you everywhere you go, so make it an attractive one... prospective employers will view it.

I encourage you to keep an open mind... take courses outside of your comfort zone. The idea of a finance course is an excellent one. Take some courses in areas where you're weak or that would force you to do things outside your norm. Whether it's in finance, geography, religion, politics, computers, music, there is much to be learned outside of whatever area becomes your major.

After college, it's time to pay the bills, so enjoy it and never stop learning!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Everything others said especially the part about living your own life and taking this time to really explore what fires you up, what gives you passion/energy. Set yourself up for a life of no regrets... not talking about "YOLO" but the deep down passion within your soul.

The other thing to think deeply about is your path of preference. Many people choose a life of financial security. Many trade that financial security for adventure and passion. If you are lucky those two come in the same package but they don't always. Only YOU can decide the best path. It's very hard not to let others influence you on these life decisions, that is a big challenge. Many of us older people still sometimes wrestle with it.

One other thing to consider... don't get so caught up looking forward that you think you need to STAY on a particular path... whether that is to save face or because of the expectations of others. It really IS all up to you.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic