The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-27-2014, 09:54 PM

Wait, wait... thinking about it now, the BEST thing about the 1970s was the debut of "Saturday Night Live!" with the original Not Ready for Prime Time Players! You couldn't stop laughing all the way through that show in those years! Nor could you tell the difference between the real ads and the ad spoofs, the latter were so good and so realistic ("New Shimmer is a floor wax AND a dessert topping as well!" ). NOBODY ever did the Weekend Update segment any better than Chevy Chase ("Flash! Generalismo Francisco Franco is STILL dead!"). The whole cast was excellent and the writing was as sharp as a razor! Like Johnny Hodges used to remind us every night with Duke Ellington, "Things Ain't What They Used to Be."
Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 PM

Totally forgot about SNL Zabdart. Some great memories there. I still remember staying up late with my Dad watching SNL. What a cast. The original is still the best.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 PM

A ton of great memories. Way too many to even dream of recalling.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

One of my best memories is the really rapid propagation of some really great guitar music and the TV shows that gave you a chance to see the artists perform. I remember ABC's In Concert Tonight and the Midnight Special. Eventually, both of those shows were simulcast in high-fi stereo through a local FM radio station. A hit would surface and these shows would have the responsible band on within a couple of weeks playing it live in concert. For a guy like me, living in a small southern town that was at then end of everyone's concert circuit, that was pretty exciting. I stayed up late every Friday night to watch these shows, oten listening through headphones because the rest of the house was asleep.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 AM

I remember catching "In Concert" the night Miles Davis was on. AMAZING! Miles and his band played one number, "Right Off" for half an hour, uninterrupted. Just the most compelling, hypnotic thing I ever heard!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
I disagree. About the cars anyway

The 1976 Porsche 911 Turbo Type 930 Carrera was and still is a monster!
They now fetch well into 6 figures for pristine examples.

max
The problem is that in the 1970's for every one of those delightful 911s on the road there were approximately 100,000 Pintos, Vegas and Pacers rustin' and rockin' on down the street. Sorry, but your Porsche was as much a typical car of the 1970's as Farrah Fawcett was a typical female.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-30-2014, 11:25 AM

I started the 70s as a 15-year old high school student. I ended the 70s as a field geologist working in Alaska. The path in between included college in Colorado, auto mechanic's school (Ford Motor Company), field work in New Mexico, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana and opening up a uranium mine at the tree line of Kenosha Pass (Colorado). Survived my first girlfriend.

Went to bluegrass festivals, but didn't really have too much time for practice. Learned to juggle. Saw Bruce Springsteen, Frank Zappa, Stan Getz, Les McCann, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, John Mayall, Greatful Dead (including Red Rocks), Andre Segovia and countless other bands/combos. Smoked my first cigar with Fritz Mondale.

I really enjoyed the 70s, but ultimatly my old Volvo, which I drove about the entire United States got crashed, so I ended up with a Toyota.

f-d
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM

Girls, parties, and a 1970 Monte Carlo SS, I loved the 70's. More specifically Pattie Sullivan, Aerosmith live and a NOT crap car. That Monte was "Born to Run"

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6

Last edited by Paully; 07-30-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
The problem is that in the 1970's for every one of those delightful 911s on the road there were approximately 100,000 Pintos, Vegas and Pacers rustin' and rockin' on down the street. Sorry, but your Porsche was as much a typical car of the 1970's as Farrah Fawcett was a typical female.
But then there was my yellow '73 Volkswagen Beetle. It wasn't sexy but I took my first dates in it, eventually dated the girl who became fiance' in it and took my honeymoon in it. I repaired it myself. I could pull the engine in about three hours. The thing wouldn't die. Built like steekin' tank. The lack of air conditioning eventually made me trade it in.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Speaking of cars, for whatever the reason the 70's makes me think of big bore muscle cars (subsequently brought low by first-era emissions controls), but especially DATSUN!

Those great 2X0Z series, the B210 and those neat and those simple little pickups that rusted right out from underneath you...
Old 07-30-2014, 01:48 PM

I left school in 74 aged 16. Left home a month later. Moved to a different city. Got a job in a large department store of a day. A job behind a bar in the eveningand then of a weekend I worked in a nightclub after the bar job had finnished for the night. I worked hard, made plenty of money. I also played hard, I had about 6 years of totally living just the way I wanted and enjoyed. At 22 I returned home to my native city of Liverpool, joined the Police, got married two years later. Now 34 years later retired still married with four grown up kids soon to be a grandad twice over. The seventies ... well I've got great memories

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner reissue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006
Garrison AGGC 300 2008
Fender Telecaster American Special 2015
Old 07-30-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Sorry, but your Porsche was as much a typical car of the 1970's as Farrah Fawcett was a typical female.
Depends on who you knew. My problem with the 70s were women who patterned themselves after Gloria Steinem. You're right: Farrah Fawcett was very atypical... but she had her problems, too.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:17 PM

That's why the smart money dated Ann-Margaret or Tuesday Weld.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Did somebody mention Ann-Margaret??

Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 PM

Mmmmmmm...

Ann-Margaret and a Triumph... a match made in heaven!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic