The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-24-2014, 02:04 PM

Is that the game where they all line up hunched over in strange positions in a long line, and grunt a lot?

If it is, it looks pretty much like something I don't want any part of.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I think it's rare and over emphasized by certain elements of society who think football is too violent and because THEY don't like it, they don't want ME to watch it.
it's NOT rare it's just the only time you hear about it on the news is when a player commits suicide or any other violent act because of his CTE issues. The NFL has tried for the longest to cover up this issue but it is not going away............PBS did a documentary in 2013 on this issue, maybe you should check it out!!! look, I love football as much as the next guy, but at what cost are we pleasing ourselves by watching these men pound their brains into the ground!!!!

League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis
Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
it's NOT rare it's just the only time you hear about it on the news is when a player commits suicide or any other violent act because of his CTE issues. The NFL has tried for the longest to cover up this issue but it is not going away............PBS did a documentary in 2013 on this issue, maybe you should check it out!!! look, I love football as much as the next guy, but at what cost are we pleasing ourselves by watching these men pound their brains into the ground!!!!

League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis
Football players take their chances with a concussion just as smokers take a chance of getting lung cancer, just as motorcycle riders take a chance at being run over because nobody sees them just as just just as just as just as just as..........Like the old timers used to say: "You can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen."
Old 07-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think it's rare and over emphasized by certain elements of society who think football is too violent and because THEY don't like it, they don't want ME to watch it.
You're of course referring to former players who are suffering from the consequences of concussions.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm reminded of a concocted game called "stool ball" (not the predecessor of cricket) dreamed up by prisoners at Colditz Castle (German Oflag IV-C prisoner of war camp) during WWII. Opposing goalies sat on stools across a cobbled courtyard in the castle. The object was simply to touch your opponent's stool with the ball. The stone walls and cobbled ground were used to bounce passes and players. Most any means, including punching and choking, were legally afforded to the defenders to prevent advancement of the ball. It wasn't unknown for players to end up with broken bones and large-scale loss of flesh. However, the participating prisoners agreed that with the walls being transformed from a means to detain them into the boundaries of the game, their time playing stool ball was the only time during their detainment that they felt free.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-26-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epluribus36 View Post
Is that the game where they all line up hunched over in strange positions in a long line, and grunt a lot?

If it is, it looks pretty much like something I don't want any part of.
Same shaped ball....different game.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Football players take their chances with a concussion just as smokers take a chance of getting lung cancer, just as motorcycle riders take a chance at being run over because nobody sees them just as just just as just as just as just as..........Like the old timers used to say: "You can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen."
Ridiculous!!!!!! .........we've got too much technology to sit around and not do anything about this. Get your head outta the sand, this isn't 1965 !!!!! this tough guy mentality is why a lot of these players are gonna be drooling in a bowl by the time they are 40, but they'll have a lot of money in the bank as long as they haven't gone bankrupt by then. I just hope they'll be able to recognize their own children.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 PM

Smile more than a game...

Hey folks,

First of all its more than a game.... It gets a bit serious over here in Aus.

It was first derived from an indigenous game and rugby union to keep cricketers fit over the summer.

It is one of the most physically demanding sports. It's played on one of the biggest areas (called an oval) and it goes for 120min. Its fast, skillful, hard, high scoring and has a lot of tactics. Some players run up to 15km per game and that is all flat-out!

Here is a little clip that would explain it better.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqymJpIhpPY
Old 07-30-2014, 11:45 PM

It used to be shown on ESPN late at night. (Early 1990's, maybe late 80's too)
Old 07-31-2014, 04:15 AM

Watch the odd game here in Thailand. And as mentioned before - what rules?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 AM

Wow, A nonstop game played with great skill, finesse, restraint and mutual respect for the athletes on the field.

It makes American football look like a street fight amongst a bunch of thugs.

Here is a link to a highlight reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxhqXzVBen4
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 AM

When ESPN first started, around 1980, they filled the air with a lot of Australian Rules Football, haven't seen much lately. I always think of it as "kill the guy with the ball." Did like the movements of the Refs.
My favorite early ESPN 'casts were the Caribbean Baseball games that had play by play done in the studio to video feed from the game site.
I wish they'd bring back both, much preferable to World Series of Poker or Extreme Games.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM

I find it baffling that people have to denigrate one sport to like another one. I mean really - the topic is aussie rules. It has nothing to do with the NFL.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic