The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 AM

I imagine Missouri mirrors most other state laws.... You are required to "dim" high beams within 300 feet of an approaching vehicle, or within 100 feet of a vehicle you're approaching from the rear.
Used to be easy to spot.... Back when I started in police work, most all vehicles had separate high beams...
Now, with the profusion of super headlights... That's not often the case. Is that the guy's "brights", or does he just have super-laser-halogen-eyeball burners?

Also.... It used to part of the driving "culture" that if a fellow had his brights on, you "flashed" him, and he'd hit the dimmer.....
I always found this to be a good way to catch drunks.... Drunks would not respond to that flash and you could whip around and stop 'em and have a pretty high chance they'd be DWI.
Not anymore....

Seems like folks are not being taught this... You can flash your lights at people till you're blue and get no response. Likewise if they're driving at night without their lights on.
Again, this was "common knowledge".....A few flashes meant "hey, you didn't turn your lights on!'..... Again... not anymore....Folks just cruise on by....

I do 95% of my driving in built-up, urban areas and I essentially never use the high beams.
However, when I used to drive down to the parent's cabin on weekends, on those dark 2-lane blacktops... I used 'em a lot.
An old trick if you're in hilly terrain.... You can catch an oncoming car's headlights reflected on the underside of power lines... And dim before he tops the next hill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic