The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-31-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I agree with the fine points made in favor of gig bags but the fact remains that it is nice when spending upwards of 1.5K or more on a guitar that a hardshell case comes with it. Not all CF guitars are travel sized and thus fit in overhead bins when flying. If presented with that situation I personally would never check my guitar with a gig bag if it were too large to fit in carry-on. However, for just around town a gig bag would make more sense. I think that CF makers should make a gig bag for every single guitar they have in their line up-- it does not sound to me like they would have any problems selling them based upon the feedback that experienced owners are giving here. They could personalize the bags too with embroidered insignia- a bit of free marketing never hurts?
+1 - what steelvibe said.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 08-01-2014, 01:27 PM

I like the option of getting either soft or hard cases. I tend toward soft cases for the CF guitars in my life, but would like that I could go back to the manufacture for a hard case in the future if there is a need.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 PM

That guitar looks very nice but I'd rather focus on the bag it ships with ... oh, I see that's already been done
Old 08-02-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
That guitar looks very nice but I'd rather focus on the bag it ships with ... oh, I see that's already been done
Well if you like I could focus on the fact that it seems to only have 6 strings instead of 12...
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Well if you like I could focus on the fact that it seems to only have 6 strings instead of 12...
wasn't your reply, but those that followed, that caught my attention. The post is about a guitar but the replies are about cases and gig bags
Old 08-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
wasn't your reply, but those that followed, that caught my attention. The post is about a guitar but the replies are about cases and gig bags
I understand the interest in gig bags and cases: my RainSong Shorty is a great guitar. Some of us are interested in a carbon fiber guitar for the easy care. Well, that was what drew me towards CF - the crisp sound keeps me there. Since the guitar is a good "traveler" (not the same as a small-size travel guitar), the option of a case vs a quality gig bag is pertinent. The guitar is lightweight... the case it comes in is a beast. It's a nice case, but it is heavy. If you are gigging with a band and the guitar is going to be carried by others besides yourself, I understand the need for a hardshell case. BUT, if you are doing a solo thing and will be carting your own guitar, the gig bag is a nice way to go.

I was really surprised that RainSong didn't offer something from the factory (like Taylor offers gig bags through the Taylor Store) in a custom fit gig bag. It took me a lot of looking to find the Access gig bag that I currently use (while the hardshell case is at home, 2800 miles away).

Yeah, yeah - it's a RainSong. It's a great guitar. We get that. Now, how are you going to cart the guitar from your house to the cabin in the mountains? Or, to the gig on the beach? Or... well, you get the idea.

And, the gig bag vs case thing is even more valid with a parlor guitar (IMHO).
Old 08-09-2014, 09:41 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Can't wait to try out this new parlor and huge kudos to Rainsong for figuring out how to make the Parlor more accessible. I REALLY want to get ahold of one of those gig bags and I hope they'll make them available separately. I agree with most of what has been said about the cases. One of the greatest features about the Rainsong guitars is their ability to travel.... except they've never been delivered in anything decent to travel with. My Rainsong Shorty rides first class in a big beat-up jumbo Levy's leather bag that is 18 sizes too large for it. It never complains though.

My personal Rainsong wishlist is growing with this one and the nylon string versions they've introduced, and the new APLE version...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber