The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 AM

Default NGD - Joining the Rainsong club!

I've been checking into this Carbon Fiber forum for a while now, and I just pulled the trigger on probably the last guitar I'll buy for a long time, and thanks to Ted at LA Guitar Sales for working with me. I'll be getting a new Black Ice WS1000 (oh yeah!) in a few days and I'm reeeeeally looking forward to it.

Thanks again to Ted at LAG -- if you're looking at Rainsongs, he's gotta be at the top of your list to talk to (although I know they handle lots of other brands) -- and I'll be reporting back soon...

Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And those Black Ice models are pretty cool looking.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 PM

Yes,,, the Rainsong's are very nice sounding instruments. Surprisingly so. Amazed that more people do not play them. I think that if this forum is like a few others (but about different products) you will find that a great deal of people who have NEVER played one tend to have strong opinions about them. Certainly not everyone......And the ones that HAVE actually played one have usually decent (at least) opinions about them. I guess that the trick is to figure out who is who :-)
I had been advised to play mine for a few hours before changing the strings that they are shipped with. Turns out that this is good advice.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 AM

SBG -- why is that?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:16 AM

Awesome! You will not go wrong with Rainsong, they build great guitars. So light and impeccable build quality. Look forward to your report. I just got a new guitar yesterday. Life is good when it is Christmas in July!!! Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-20-2012, 04:50 AM

Congrats.

I'm very happy to have a Rainsong OM1000, here in very rainy England.

Daniel
Old 07-20-2012, 06:18 AM

The string question: I felt the strings did not suit the guitar, but was advised to forgo changing them until I had put a few hours into playing as they would lose a bit of the "bright edge". And they do sound much better now. The guitar is very clear, but not overly bright at all. Actually, this guitar (dread) is quite clear. I need to keep reminding myself that it is a dread.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short bald guy View Post
The string question: I felt the strings did not suit the guitar, but was advised to forgo changing them until I had put a few hours into playing as they would lose a bit of the "bright edge". And they do sound much better now. The guitar is very clear, but not overly bright at all. Actually, this guitar (dread) is quite clear. I need to keep reminding myself that it is a dread.
One of my favorite things about these guitars is the fact that there are no dead spots on the fretboard. The e and a strings stay bright and true above the ninth fret. Very cool.

Daniel
Old 07-20-2012, 07:14 AM

Nice! You done good.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Thanks, all. You have me even more excited now. As for the strings, I believe they come with Elixir Nanos, which are my top choice otherwise anyway, so I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing how they sound.

It might be a long, slow weekend; I think it arrives Monday, maybe Tuesday...
Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPhan View Post

It might be a long, slow weekend; I think it arrives Monday, maybe Tuesday...
If it helps I'll be sittin' here playing a couple RainSongs whilst you wait
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Congrats!! Can't wait to read the review when you get the guitar. I'm sure you'll be another satisfied customer of Ted's.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Well my Black Ice WS1000 arrived and it's gorgeous and sounds fantastic. What a work of art. It was in perfect tune, too. Wow. I can't wait to get it home and plug it in...

The only minor question I have is about some slight deviations in the finish. There are 8-10 areas where the finish seems to have "settled," mostly aligning with the edges of the fiber pieces underneath. In two small areas, too, you can actually see the tiny zig-zag/fishbone-ish pattern (in the carbon fiber) in the mirror finish -- like it might be too thin. You have to look for these, to be honest, and they only show up when you reflect light off off them. I just wonder if these are within normal ranges and if other RS owners have these as well. This issue is a complete surprise to me; I don't want to over-react to it but I also want to know that I'm getting an appropriate level of quality in this (for me) major purchase! And nothing I'm saying here should reflect poorly in any way on LA Guitar Sales or Rainsong. The service and pricing I got on this was excellent and this guitar meets every other of my expectations.

I sent some photos of the finish issue to Rainsong to see what they say -- but otherwise, wow... I'm impressed.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM

Cool Phan!Now post pics or vid clips of you playing it!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM

As soon as I can! Not likely within the next week though...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber