The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2016, 08:29 AM

Default Fender Amp

I have accidentally found a Fender Deluxe amp (tube amp). I know nothing about this type of amp. it looks to be new (but it is an older model I believe).
Does anyone have q clue if this would be good as a practice amp for acoustic and a mic ( through a small soundboard) at home?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

The Fender Deluxe is a great amp for electric guitars. It is not intended to be used for acoustics.

It is possible to plug in to the amp, but, you would get much better results from an amp designed for an acoustic guitar. Acoustic amps typically employ some type of horn with the standard speaker in order to more accurately reproduce the high frequencies.

As far as using the Deluxe for vocals, that would not be a good fit at all. Most microphones require a low impedance connection which is not available on the amp you've found. There are some high impedance mics and also some adapters but neither of those sound very good at all.

In summary, is is possible to use the Deluxe, but it will nor produce a very pleasing sound. I would look elsewhere for an amp that would suit your needs better.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:47 AM

I believe the amp is designed for electric guitars. It does amplify a signal, a small mixer would be required for vocals. It would most likely distort the signal at higher gain, it's what tube amps do. I would not be gigging an acoustic with it but you can still plug and play it at home.

If it was at a good price and if it worked, I would buy it without hesitation. There's nothing wrong with having a tube amp in your collection of gear, you can get by with it until you can come across a good deal on an acoustic amp. Again, if the price is right, to pass on it would come back as a regret in years to come.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-02-2016, 11:38 AM

Thanks. I really know nothing about this type of amp. I need a practice amp and someone I know had this one. It seems new and it was offered to me, but if it is not going to work, well.....
I think it is somewhat expensive, and while I could have it for very little $ I don't think I want to obtain it and then re-sell it. One of those friend things
Old 12-02-2016, 12:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

My recent experience with a Fender tube amp designed for electrics may be of interest. I've owned many, many amps designed for acoustic guitar over the last ten years, including some higher end ones like Henrikson, AER and Schertler. Also Carvin, Acoustic, Fender, Fishman, and a few others I've forgotten. Also have lots of experience running directly into a PA board. I play professionally, usually small to medium size rooms like restaurants, galleries and private parties, plus I do many wedding ceremonies, both outside and inside. I play a Martin or an Eastman, both equipped with K&K pick-ups with a Red Eye pre-amp. What I want is the most natural sound possible, which of course really means the best alternative would not involve a pick-up at all but using a good quality mic. This is not practical in many cases for lots of reasons, not the least of which is plugging in and playing without having to deal with taking along a mic, stand, etc. (but I do that if I'm going to do vocals - most of my gigs are instrumental only).

I recently decided to try using my Fender Vibrolux and the results are outstanding. Yes, you have to be careful about feedback and adjustment of the tone controls and amp placement but what I now get is the absolute best, most natural sound I've found from this amp. FWIW, plugging directly into the amp without the Red Eye in the signal chain results in less output and some distortion so my guess is that the Red Eye helps with impedance matching.

I have always been one of the "you can't use an electric guitar amp with an acoustic guitar" guys but I have now changed my mind.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
My recent experience with a Fender tube amp designed for electrics may be of interest. I've owned many, many amps designed for acoustic guitar over the last ten years, including some higher end ones like Henrikson, AER and Schertler. Also Carvin, Acoustic, Fender, Fishman, and a few others I've forgotten. Also have lots of experience running directly into a PA board. I play professionally, usually small to medium size rooms like restaurants, galleries and private parties, plus I do many wedding ceremonies, both outside and inside. I play a Martin or an Eastman, both equipped with K&K pick-ups with a Red Eye pre-amp. What I want is the most natural sound possible, which of course really means the best alternative would not involve a pick-up at all but using a good quality mic. This is not practical in many cases for lots of reasons, not the least of which is plugging in and playing without having to deal with taking along a mic, stand, etc. (but I do that if I'm going to do vocals - most of my gigs are instrumental only).

I recently decided to try using my Fender Vibrolux and the results are outstanding. Yes, you have to be careful about feedback and adjustment of the tone controls and amp placement but what I now get is the absolute best, most natural sound I've found from this amp. FWIW, plugging directly into the amp without the Red Eye in the signal chain results in less output and some distortion so my guess is that the Red Eye helps with impedance matching.

I have always been one of the "you can't use an electric guitar amp with an acoustic guitar" guys but I have now changed my mind.
Ditto. I get as good a tone from my '82 Princeton Reverb II as I have from any amp labeled as "acoustic". You just have to dial in the eq. Having a mid pot is very helpful. I run a K&K equipped dreadnought into an Orchid DI in front of the amp. Sounds weak and quacky with out the Orchid. Jeffrey Foucault gets great tone running his late 40's J-45 through an early 60's 5 watt Gibson Skylark.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:37 PM

+1 on the Princeton sounding good.
I have also been playing acoustic gigs through all kinds of acoustic amps and PA's and mostly with K&K's and was getting what I needed, particularly with the Bose outfits. But I got a used rare earth to put in a 000-15S that was to be my beater for camping trips thinking maybe I'd use it for slide and blues stuff.

So I was camping with a crowd of musical people on a mountain top last year and suddenly was called upon to play some tunes in a barn and I had to use somebody's fender, and I was truly stunned at how good it sounded, and loud and clear. The rare earth is, after all, a humbucker pickup I guess.

Confession time, I happen to be really getting into my Telecaster lately (new 1 3/4 nut neck!) and got a '74 Princeton to fill out the outfit which it did nicely. But then yesterday I plugged that little Martin in again and was again really surprised at how nice and usable the sound was.

For me that means I can do some gigs using that amp with both guitars which I'm liking. The sound of that older Princeton with the tele had been blowing my mind, however, as a 50 year acoustic devotee...
2014 Republic Resolian 800
1985 Al Rice Cedar/Braz archtop dreadnought
1964 Framus Dreadnought
3 Telecasters MIM/Squier/Partscaster
1980 Gibson SG
2005 Ibanez AS83
1974 Princeton Reverb
1990 DRRI
Old 12-02-2016, 06:23 PM

I did say that I did not know about these types of amps didn't I? Good.
The amp is NOT a Fender Deluxe...It is a Fender DEVILLE. On the back it says: Hot rod Deville 212.
Sorry. Is this any better?

Last edited by jjbigfly; 12-02-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: missing a word
Old 12-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I did say that I did not know about these types of amps didn't I? Good.
The amp is NOT a Fender Deluxe...It is a Fender DEVILLE. On the back it says: Hot rod Deville 212.
Sorry. Is this any better?
Sweetwater has them new for $930 to help you get an idea of value. And while I respect other posters ability to use a tube amp with an acoustic and mic tube amps really aren't intended for that and it will be more effort to get good tone. Plus this is a 60 watt tube amp. For those used to hearing solid state numbers this doesn't sound like much. Believe me that amp can shatter your ear drums in a small room. Way overkill for a practice amp.

There are so many alternatives for an acoustic and mic I'd pass on this unless it is $100 and you wish to flip it.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

The DeVille is designed to have a LOT of gain and distort quickly for electric guitarists who want that and yes, it is very loud - perhaps too much for playing clean at low to moderate volumes. My Vibrolux is is 22 watts and it's relatively easy to get the clean, warm and natural sound at lower volumes. ALL the so called acoustic amps I mentioned above do not make your guitar sound natural, instead adding solid state coloration in varying degrees. In some cases this may be desirable but if you're looking for as close a sound as possible to what your guitar sounds like without amplification - just louder (assuming you don't want to use a mic) - you can't go wrong with a lower wattage tube amp. It just depends upon what you're looking for and expecting of the amp and the circumstances in which you'll be playing.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:33 AM

Thanks again. I really appreciate the input from all of you.
It IS really cheap ($100, and, how did you know?) and it looks like new and was hoping......but.....still thinking...
Old 12-03-2016, 08:35 AM

After re-reading the OP's original query, I would not recommend purchasing the De Ville unless he was just trying to help out his friend by taking it off his hands. Although I commented on the tones I get from my PR, I use it because I already have it and also play my Tele and Strat through it.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Thanks again. I really appreciate the input from all of you.
It IS really cheap ($100, and, how did you know?) and it looks like new and was hoping......but.....still thinking...
You can not go wrong at that price. Heck I don't need anymore electric amps and I'd pony up just because.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:54 PM

I should read more carefully. For $100 it's a no brainer! By it, play it, don't play it, sell it,.........
Old 12-04-2016, 07:19 AM

Really. The question of is it a good buy is not the same as should it be used in a gig. If you're putting you're chops out there in front of the public you want the sound to be something you can take pride in.
2014 Republic Resolian 800
1985 Al Rice Cedar/Braz archtop dreadnought
1964 Framus Dreadnought
3 Telecasters MIM/Squier/Partscaster
1980 Gibson SG
2005 Ibanez AS83
1974 Princeton Reverb
1990 DRRI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification