The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 09-19-2015, 01:53 PM

Default Eric Skye and Mark Goldenberg "Artifact"

I've been listening to the new duo guitar recording by Eric Skye and Mark Goldenberg called "Artifact". This is a great recording. Eric, from Portland, OR, is well-known in finger style acoustic guitar circles (and a contributor here), and Mark enjoys a well deserved great reputation as a sideman to such stars as Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, and others. The compositions are all originals by the two artists. The rapport between the two is obvious on first hearing. These two musicians display a musical understanding of one another that results in seamless and at times highly playful interplay. I know Eric’s playing and sound quite well, and if my ears don’t deceive me, he is generally on the right channel and Mark is on the left. The tone of each guitarist is distinctive, yet they blend together to make a highly satisfying whole. The jazz improvisation on this recording is remarkable. Much more than mindless repetitive scales and noodling, these two say something very pleasing in their solos. And the accompaniments to the solos never get in the way. They are tasteful and appropriately in the background. The recorded sound is first-rate, with the timbres true and a soundstage that is both large and intimate. If you enjoy laid back acoustic jazz performed by two masters of the instrument, you should treat yourself to this recording. Available in iTunes or you can get a CD via Paypal by writing [email protected].

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases