The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-24-2023, 09:51 AM

I plug my SG into a Tweed Deluxe.
One reverb pedal with volume at 3.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:00 AM

I've got a 2019 LP Special with a fat 50's neck and zebras. Sounds great clean through a ss or tube amp.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:11 PM

To lump LP and SG together is like finding equivalence between Strat and Tele.

Oversimplification rules.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-24-2023, 06:30 PM

Are you cutting back on the vol+tone? A LP/SG/335 type should sound just fine with clean channel on all 3 positions if the guitar and rig are set up properly.
Old 10-24-2023, 09:11 PM

I have a 50s Standard LP, an ES 335 and a 70th Broadcaster. Those are my main electrics and I get want I want out of them with a 57 Custom Champ and a 57 Custom Deluxe. Clean jazz tone to Neil young crunch.
Old 10-25-2023, 03:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Oh, and one more thing: Try rolling the tone back to 5 or six on the bridge pickup to match it with the neck pickup. It makes a big difference.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-25-2023, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

Oh no. For me to like any electric guitar, it has to sound good clean.

Which is why I don't play a PRS. Never heard one sound good clean.

Have bought Les Paul's on looks. Only to find out, when they arrive. that I don't like the pickups. So I either sell, or retrofit.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Oh no. For me to like any electric guitar, it has to sound good clean.

Which is why I don't play a PRS. Never heard one sound good clean.

Have bought Les Paul's on looks. Only to find out, when they arrive. that I don't like the pickups. So I either sell, or retrofit.
PRS now makes more of a traditional PAF pickup. That being said, you're not married to a guitar's pickups most of the time. I have an Ibanez with bland pickups. 99.999% of guitar forum people would send it back like the house merlot. I'll be ordering replacement pickups soon.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:15 AM

I play everything from clean clean to furry fuzz. My moods and the needs of a piece mean I'm not after just one kind of sound.

If it was a ballot counting exercise, I think you'd find me playing single coils more often when I'm playing a clean part -- but not always. I think a good neck humbucker can sound glorious into a clean amp. For whatever reason I can't quite get into the sound of a typical Gibson full-sized bridge humbucker played really clean when I'm doing the playing. Obviously, many other players have pleased me with that configuration playing clean or straight into a cranked clean setting amp (such as Fender Twin) which adds compression as Bob Womack remarked upthread. Perhaps it's because I'm not usually dimed and loud these days?

My SG Special has Firebird style humbuckers. Offers a nice contrast to full-size models.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-25-2023, 10:01 AM

Hm. I like 'em played clean.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:36 AM

What made me want to start my P90 thread was their undistorted tone. Now that I have amp, speakers and brain working how my Les Paul needs them to work I just haven’t used one of my Fenders since .. and my beloved early 60’s Gretsch stays in its case too.
.. but I actually don’t find the overdriven tones working as well, or as easily, as Fender singles do it - they’re a bit barkier than I like because of the amp set up I use to get the clean sound I rave about.

So my experience (although limited compared with many because my P90 infatuation is still in honeymoon phase) is in disagreement with your opening question. I am more inclined to agree if it’s humbuckers we’re talking about. I reckon overdrive helps them with some things that P90’s do better - imo of course.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Not in my experience. That’s almost like saying Strats are only good for cleans, and Tele’s are only great for country twang and chicken pickin. If the tone and volume knobs are used appropriately, on both the amp AND guitar…one should never be limited to a singular tone based on a guitar type, style, or design. IMHO anyway.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 10-29-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
What made me want to start my P-90 thread was their undistorted tone. Now that I have amp, speakers and brain working how my Les Paul needs them to work I just haven’t used one of my Fenders since .. and my beloved early-60’s Gretsch stays in its case too... but I actually don’t find the overdriven tones working as well, or as easily, as Fender singles do it - they’re a bit barkier than I like because of the amp set up I use to get the clean sound I rave about...
If you're talking about the Celestion-equipped Twin you mentioned in your prior thread I'm not surprised: while P-90's can be a good clean/semi-clean combination with Celestions (think Rubber Soul/Revolver-era Beatles live performances) - the chime we both prize in our similarly-beloved Gretsch hollowbodies, with more midrange punch and overall power - keep in mind that they were originally designed around the lower-powered (under 20W) American amps/speakers of the postwar period, and unless you really need the massive headroom and raw power (not to mention the American Chiropractic Association-approved weight... ) of the Twin, you might be better off with something similar in either a vintage or modern-style combo. My own long-term go-to is an older "blue-light" Bugera V22 1x12" with surplus Soviet mil-spec tubes (the closest equivalent of the unobtainable American 7189 tubes, used as a heavy-duty 6BQ5/EL84 substitute in many older amps) and an ultra-high-efficiency (~102dB/1W/1M) Eminence Swamp Thang speaker - enough grunt to cover a 600-700 seat house clean as you need (or dirty as you want, with the pushbutton mid-boost and footswitchable OD), and if you've ever played a nice old blue-check Ampeg Gemini II you'd feel right at home with this setup. FYI there's been a recent price drop - they've also upgraded the OEM tubes (a major complaint among early owners) and the British-leaning Turbosound speaker is quite good in its own right - so it might be worth a checkout as a utility rig, and keep the Twin for when you need that specific tonality/power and nothing else will do...

Here's a link:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 10-30-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:51 PM

The whole premise of this thread is based upon nothing more than personal preference, or prejudice. Any guitar can be played any way, and it's ironic that the guy responsible for both the Les Paul and SG was primarily a proponent of playing without noticeable distortion. In fact, he was even named after one of those two guitars.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 10-30-2023, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're talking about the Celestion-equipped Twin you mentioned in your prior thread I'm not surprised: while P-90's can be a good clean/semi-clean combination with Celestions (think Rubber Soul/Revolver-era Beatles live performances) - the chime we both prize in our similarly-beloved Gretsch hollowbodies, with more midrange punch and overall power - keep in mind that they were originally designed around the lower-powered (under 20W) American amps/speakers of the postwar period, and unless you really need the massive headroom and raw power (not to mention the American Chiropractic Association-approved weight... ) of the Twin, you might be better off with something similar in either a vintage or modern-style combo. My own long-term go-to is an older "blue-light" Bugera V22 1x12" with surplus Soviet mil-spec tubes (the closest equivalent of the unobtainable American 7189 tubes, used as a heavy-duty 6BQ5/EL84 substitute in many older amps) and an ultra-high-efficiency (~102dB/1W/1M) Eminence Swamp Thang speaker - enough grunt to cover a 600-700 seat house clean as you need (or dirty as you want, with the pushbutton mid-boost and footswitchable OD), and if you've ever played a nice old blue-check Ampeg Gemini II you'd feel right at home with tis setup. FYI there's been a recent price drop - they've also upgraded the OEM tubes (a major complaint among early owners) and the British-leaning Turbosound speaker is quite good in its own right - so it might be worth a checkout as a utility rig, and keep the Twin for when you need that specific tonality/power and nothing else will do...

Here's a link:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp
Thanks for all that Steve. I will take note of your advice as we seem to appreciate similar tones - and my back isn’t getting any younger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars