The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-16-2023, 12:25 PM

Default Positive Grid Spark GO - lean back stand!

This placement greatly improves the bass response as a guitar amp or Bluetooth speaker. Any handy cell phone stand will do the job. Near a wall and near the ground brings out its best. Angling up optimizes the volume.

I ordered one of these from Amazon since it can fold flat with the Spark GO in my gig bag:

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-16-2023, 05:28 PM

Cool idea, thanks!
Old 09-26-2023, 02:54 PM

Here is the gig bag friendly stand doing its job. I also Crazy Glued a stainless steal washer to the power button as I found it a pain to locate [Update: The Go's cover is not compatible with cyanoacrylate glue. The washer eventually fell off leaving some white crust behind to be rubbed off. :~( ]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-23-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I remembered this post and tried this variant while I'm in my hotel today.

The stand is actually a combo wireless phone / smart watch / wireless earbuds charging stand that comes with me when I travel anyway.

I preferred that tone over either face down or standing vertical.

Thanks for the idea!
Attachment 100422Attachment 100423

Last edited by Aspiring; 11-17-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:29 AM

I just use a piece of two-by-four. You can put it horizontally under the front of the amp for a slight tilt or diagonally in back to tip the amp way back.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

For some reason my pictures weren't coming through IMG_20231116_222724027.jpgIMG_20231116_222645322.jpg
Old 11-17-2023, 10:30 AM

I'm glad to hear that some are using this gizmo successfully. I was in on the earliest issue and after all the hype, much of which is absolute nonsense (such as the claims of volume level, bass tones, and sound quality), I found the sound to be so foul that I thought I had received a defective unit. But after some back and forth with Positive Grid, it turns out that my Go was working properly -- it's just a cruddy device with nothing of the quality of the Spark. I kept mine because I wanted to use some of the applications, despite the sound, but find that I really just don't use it because the tone is so terrible. I'll try some of the positioning mentioned in the thread, and appreciate the suggestions. It's a fascinating piece of design/build. I just wish it sounded good.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexcore View Post
I'm glad to hear that some are using this gizmo successfully. I was in on the earliest issue and after all the hype, much of which is absolute nonsense (such as the claims of volume level, bass tones, and sound quality), I found the sound to be so foul that I thought I had received a defective unit. But after some back and forth with Positive Grid, it turns out that my Go was working properly -- it's just a cruddy device with nothing of the quality of the Spark. I kept mine because I wanted to use some of the applications, despite the sound, but find that I really just don't use it because the tone is so terrible. I'll try some of the positioning mentioned in the thread, and appreciate the suggestions. It's a fascinating piece of design/build. I just wish it sounded good.
I have had to tweak my presets pretty significantly to get good tone and reasonable volume. This set of settings per preset also seems to be fairly different from my different guitars / pickups. The other thing I have seen many times is random resonance caused from something else on the surface the amp is on, my wireless dongles or something similar. I keep thinking it is the speaker clipping / over driving and it usually ends up being something resonating but when I first come across this my first thought is to blame the go sound quality.

That all said, I am happy with the tones / volume for the size. I am using it primarily for quiet practice with a silent guitar in a hotel room and / or some effects / sound reinforcement for acoustics. (Ie a mix at about or slightly above the volume of the acoustic itself)

Last edited by Aspiring; 11-17-2023 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-18-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexcore View Post
I am getting good tone through its speaker and gig worthy tone direct to our PA. I am looking for clean to light overdrive similar to a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I need 3 patches to achieve this: internal speaker, FRFR floor, and FRFR pole.

For all three the amp model master is set to 10 and the 6 band EQ is selected with its master volume set to max. I set the amp model gain to achieve the desired overdrive when my guitar volume is maximum. I start with the amp eq flat.

For the FRFR patches I need to up the reverb mix. This is a bug, that the reverb mix is not the same headphone output and internal speaker, in my opinion.

For the FRFR floor patch I use the 6 band EQ to reduce 100 Hz by 6 dB and reduce 200 Hz by 3 dB.

For the internal speaker patch I set the amp model bass to 10. Maybe I should be using the 6 Band EQ… But most important is placing the Go with a wall behind it and even better on the floor as this thread advocates.

As I’ve posted elsewhere, there are several ways to connect the 3.5mm TRS stereo output to the typical balanced input of a mixer, but the one that sounds bad due to the Go’s design is a cable that shorts the 3.5mm tip and ring together.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-18-2023 at 01:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars