The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Entirely self taught by ear a long time ago. It should be noted that any good musician is self taught to some degree. If not, he is only as good as his last lesson and will never surpass his teacher.
Agreed. Even though I took formal lessons for close to four years, it didn't stop me from learning from books, videos and of course good old YouTube whilst training my ear, taking in as much music theory as I could and playing with others.

Formal lessons a great foundation though, for me anyway.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 AM

Self taught. I had some lessons when I was about 10 - I don't remember any of that stuff, though. I loved the guitar, but I was sitting in my room practicing "O Sole Mio" note by painful note while my buddies were outside playing baseball in the field next to my house- I could hear them through the window. After awhile I'd had enough and didn't pick up the guitar again until I was in my teens.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:59 AM

Self taught... Started when I was 16. My cousin was a semi-pro musician and loaned me a Harmony Acoustic and showed me some stuff.

I did take some singing lessons when I was in my late 40s. That was the only money I ever spent on lessons (well worth it).
Old 12-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

I had some of both... I had lessons when I first began playing, but they didn't last very long. I think it was less than a year. After that, I had wonderful experiences with other instruments, so I benefitted from a significant transfer of learning. Then about 40 years after the first lessons, I began taking off and on again, just kinda tweaking things. That was an excellent decision because I lucked out finding a great instructor. I also enjoy learning by books, so I've done a lot of that over the years.

One of the best things I ever did was a take a friend's advice and go to the Swannanoa Gathering. I've been 7 years in a row... what a fantastic learning experience.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

A friend of mine and I bought guitars at the same time (Alvarez and Sigma dreads) back in 1973 and taught ourselves and each other. He was really good at figuring things out by ear. Plus we had a HS teacher who was an excellent player and he taught us a few things.

The friend and I still get together and play once in a while even though we live in different states now.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:34 AM

I am still self taught. It is one thing that I would change. I think there is value in lessons.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 12-11-2017, 06:41 AM

Self taught via YouTube. What an incredible resource. I so appreciate all the channels that helped me - too numerous to mention.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:41 AM

Default Learning

We are really all self taught. Teachers can only help us learn.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:42 AM

Yes, with a bit of help from justinguitar.com. No formal tuition.
Some might say it shows.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I took the occasional lesson over the years but am essentially self-taught....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-11-2017, 07:00 AM

Default self taught

I like to think I am self-taught. But not really. When I started (1960), I'd played saxophone for some years in elementary and junior high, so music reading was old stuff. I got a couple of books to show me chords and picking patterns, bass runs, that sort of thing. By the time I got to the 3rd book, I learned I had more fun just playing music than learning it. I am still waiting for time to get to that 3rd book.

But zero instructors, zero listening to records or tapes, zero U-tube, zero group lessons... I always felt I needed to do this MY way. Would I be a better player had I taken advantage of such things? You bet I would, but this was something I'd wanted to do as much on my own as I could, so I've stuck to that path.

On the other instruments, I skipped the books. Like Wade says, there is a lot that transfers over, things like creating muscle memory, picking and strumming patterns, listening for the coming chord changes..... You get an idea how you want something to sound, and then pursue that.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 AM

Mostly, Self learned I had an instructor, that became a band member within 6 months...
After that, I mainly learned on stage because even tho I still took lessons from him we mainly talked the last gig, the next gig and what song I was going to bring to the next practice
The biggest thing he taught me in class was barr-cage chords.
On stage, that's where I learned how to stay out of the way...mute when I didn't know a chord... lol
Old 12-11-2017, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
...It should be noted that any good musician is self taught to some degree. If not, he is only as good as his last lesson and will never surpass his teacher.
True, and likewise, any good musician is "taught" to some degree, whether that is formal lessons from a teacher, reading books, watching videos, picking things up from friends, relying on musical training on another instrument, etc. This topic comes up periodically, but it's never clear what "self taught" really means given the degree to which everyone is both taught in some way, and has learned on his own.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 AM

Self taught. When I was 13 or 14, I picked up my brother's guitar and opened a CSN&Y songbook with chord diagrams. I knew the songs by heart, luckily, as I have no idea how to read music.

Back then, 1970 or so, we didn't even have videos so everything I picked up was by listening or watching others play. I got so far as to develop a decently solid fingerstyle then waning interest saw me selling my guitar.

I didn't get back into guitars until I tried a GS Mini in a store in 2014 and fell in love with it. Now I kick myself for going so many years without playing.

I have used Youtube now and then, but mostly I learn songs by chord / lyric texts and then working it into my own style.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 12-11-2017, 08:18 AM

As far as leaning the basic chords, like many, I learned that on my own.

My education really began about 6 mos. in, when I met an accomplished singer-songwriter who moved to our small town. I attached myself to his hip and a year later we had a band (I played acoustic rhythm guitar) and that went on for several years.

40 years later I’m still learning and occasionally I’ll take a lesson on a particular subject.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion