The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

These are kinda quick, but here we go...

Old 12-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Give yourself and the guitar a treat.
Try a set of these John Pearse Folk Fingerpicking strings made by Thomastik-Infeld.
All 6 strings are wound - no plains.
My 1972 all-laminate Takamine has never sounded so good!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Bruce... I'll look for them. I appreciate the suggestion... I know nothing about nylon strings these days. And I just moved a few months ago. Guess I better find the guitar store... I've been using my old one, but it's 60 miles away. I need these strings tomorrow morning!

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-10-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Very cool story Kerbie.

I went on a similar mission. Mine was a rare all solid wood MIJ Aria dread in cedar over mahogany. I bought it new, then traded it towards an amp when I switched to electric.

Well, I actually found a duplicate here through AGF and have that next to me on the wall - almost forty years later and it feels just like it did then (very unique neck profile).

I keep my eyes open around our town in case another comes for sale here, hoping it might be mine, since I've only seen ads for maybe four or five of these since searching.

I actually found a just expired ad for a new-old-stock one that sold in the Netherlands. I traced it's owner down but they never replied.

But I am happy to have that (and a duplicate of my first electric).

Congrats on your guitar reunion.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Faz... great story! Seems like several of us have first-guitar stories.

I'm hoping somebody will know a lot more about these than I do which ain't much.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 PM

It looks great! Very cool Kerbie. Congrats!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Great pics of a sweet guitar. My first guitar was sold to help buy the next one. I had a Lyon & Healy classical that I sold to buy a Yamaha steel string.
Glad to hear yours has stayed in the family.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-10-2017, 05:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Nice looking guitar!! I started on a hand-me-down nylon string guitar, and who knows whatever happened to it. My first purchased guitar was an Ovation, which was my only acoustic guitar for over 20 years. I still have it, in its case in the garage. Kids got a bit too rambunctious around it quite a few years ago, cracking the top with a hockey stick! I don’t have the heart to just throw it away, so maybe the kids will treasure it someday.

I’m excited for you with your Estrada. It really is a good looker - have fun, Kerbie!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Larry, Jayne and Chitz. I feel like a little kid having Christmas a couple weeks early!

Funny thing... for the past year or two, I've thought about getting another nylon guitar. I've played a few and thought about crossovers... even played a sweet Seagull nylon that turned my head last week. But I hadn't pulled the trigger yet. And I guess it's a good thing I didn't because I will definitely keep this one.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:17 PM

If it was in the attic it was never really lost - just misplaced. I am still playing not my first but one of my first guitars. Also was not an expensive guitar and I got it used. And yes, there is a sentimental value there so I do know how you feel.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Kerbie, that is one clean guitar! You're indeed lucky it's in that good of condition.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Kerbie, that is one clean guitar! You're indeed lucky it's in that good of condition.
Ain't that the truth?! I've looked pretty closely and it's got some small dings, but nothing big. The cowboy frets are worn slightly... you can tell I hadn't mastered the 12th fret in my teen years! The fretboard was bone-dry when I pulled it out of the case, so it drank heavily on the Guitar Honey. The tuners are stiffer than new ones, but they all turn and function just fine. Amazing... I thought it would be unplayable. What a pleasant surprise!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:41 PM

Congratulations, glad you got your first guitar back.

I hope to never see mine again, piece of junk that it was.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 PM

I still have my first three: my eighth grade beginner Orlando nylon, my Takamine 12 string that went on the bus daily to high school, and my first "good" guitar-my Takamine solid top F310S 00 Sitka/RW from 1978.

Now instead I play my Kenny Hill New World Player classical, Breedlove Masterclass 12er, Martin 00-18 VTS Custom slothead, and a couple dreads and OMs and a few others. So much fun.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Ah, Rob... was it really junk?

Your first THREE, Biz? Wow... that really is remarkable. I'll never see my second, although I remember to whom I sold it. Great guy. My third was the only guitar I ever "married"... and it went out as a gift about 4 years ago, so I'll probably never see it again. Oh well... I'm happy to get this one back. Can't have everything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion