The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Default how to get authentic vintage tone?

I am wondering how to get a tone as close as possible to that used by the strummers, singers, cowboys etc in the pre-war times who used those first golden-era flat top guitars. My guess would be to get a guitar that is constructed using similar methods, materials (e.g. red spruce, hide glue), and bracing as was used then. But what about other elements that affect tone? I assume they used mainly celluloid picks in those days, and I don't think that PB strings were around, so maybe a nickel-bronze formula? Anything else that should be considered?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:43 PM

You got the string part down-Use Martin retros or D'addario NBs.
-Get a vintage Martin or Gibson. This gets you that vintage sound you are looking for. Adi/BRW will help
-I believe there was some craze about tortoiseshell picks, which would be hard to find now
Old 12-11-2017, 12:46 PM

You should consider that the recording technology of the time was crude in comparison to today and a lot of the recorded material of the era is probably not a good representation of what they sounded like.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I am wondering how to get a tone as close as possible to that used by the strummers, singers, cowboys etc in the pre-war times who used those first golden-era flat top guitars. My guess would be to get a guitar that is constructed using similar methods, materials (e.g. red spruce, hide glue), and bracing as was used then. But what about other elements that affect tone? I assume they used mainly celluloid picks in those days, and I don't think that PB strings were around, so maybe a nickel-bronze formula? Anything else that should be considered?
Folks are going to tell you to buy an vintage guitar, but you need to remember that those pre-war guitarists were playing on recently made instruments for their day. So you're correct in assuming that the first step would be to pick up a guitar made with the same specs.

The main string brand back then was Black Diamond, which was primarily composed of nickel. Therefore, a nickel-based alloy string would be the way to go.

As far as picks, they probably used tortoise shell, but I doubt that won't make as much of a difference as the guitar and the strings.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 PM

I'm not going to articulate this very well, but consider the premium placed on volume back then. Just like old-time singers, those folks had to overcome all manner of obstacles just to be heard. This in turn affected their playing.

If you learned to busk with just you and your guitar, your playing tone might well end up more "vintage" than trying to get vintage tone via an amp with a ton of headroom.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
You should consider that the recording technology of the time was crude in comparison to today and a lot of the recorded material of the era is probably not a good representation of what they sounded like.
Excellent point.
That had not occurred to me.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Exactly. Most of the hip low-fi sound is because things were recorded and listened back to in a low-fi way.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:09 PM

talent....don't forget talent
Old 12-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Folks are going to tell you to buy an vintage guitar, but you need to remember that those pre-war guitarists were playing on recently made instruments for their day. So you're correct in assuming that the first step would be to pick up a guitar made with the same specs.
So, buy an Authentic model. Next question.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
The main string brand back then was Black Diamond, which was primarily composed of nickel. Therefore, a nickel-based alloy string would be the way to go.
+1

I remember when my local music store carried Black Diamond strings and a few sets of Gibson strings.

Quote:
As far as picks, they probably used tortoise shell, but I doubt that won't make as much of a difference as the guitar and the strings.
+2
Old 12-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed I am not looking for an "old" guitar sound and I only play and sing unamplified. I haven't thought about tortoiseshell picks, thought they would have had celluloid already in the 30s. Tortoiseshell I assume is very stiff and does not flex, wonder how thick those picks were and how long they lasted.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed I am not looking for an "old" guitar sound and I only play and sing unamplified. I haven't thought about tortoiseshell picks, thought they would have had celluloid already in the 30s. Tortoiseshell I assume is very stiff and does not flex, wonder how thick those picks were and how long they lasted.
Wouldn't get too invested on tortoiseshell. Django Reinhart used a trouser button, others may have used most anything.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I make flat picks out of water buffalo horn. Water buffalo horn is not restricted. It sounds similar to tortoise shell.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Guest 728

Buy a Waterloo WL-12Mh, and put Martin Retros on it. Shazam!
Old 12-11-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Bang! Loud was the key ingredient... Most of the time - there was no amplification.... And so it's you against the crowd....

Look at the old Blues/ragtime/bluegrass playing and singing styles. Most of these evolved because "playing in noisy bar" and such... Playlists went on to keep people dancing, drinking, and talking...

Often players yelled or shouted - just to be heard over the crowd....
Often the playing styles resembled "Banging" on the instruments to get the maximum volume possible..

When we try to replicate what they did in polite circles and quiet places - it doesn't always work quite as well... But then you sing sweet ballads.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion