The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 11:38 AM

Chics. Lots of chics.

Ok , not any chics. Not just guitar, but everything about music is what has been ingrained down into my core starting way back when my dad would put records on the hifi and would only let us kids only get so close. I'd lay on the floor and soak in every word and every beat and every note for as long as he was willing to keep playing them.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 12-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftime View Post
Guitar was something I learned as a child to get my father's approval and attention. He's was my inspiration and example. After many years of not playing and alot of wrong choices and a lifetime of substance abuse it has come back to me in a huge way as a spiritual and mental gift in recovery. After 18 months clean I cant imagine doing it without music and guitar. Only regret is the 30 yrs in between.
Great thread!
One day at a time and God bless
Rob
God bless you Rob, my sobriety date is Oct 8, 1990, yielding 27 years of sobriety and a changed life. On the way back I leaned on the guitar for some time alone. I played along with tapes (cd's now), learned songs, and really only played for myself. Along the way I was asked to play some in church, and have done that a few years, but not now (moved away). My current church has some real pros!. But Rob, I remember how I felt at one year, 18 months, and markers along the way. I hope you will live one day at a time, bring your guitar with you, and believe me, the joy of sober living is, at least for me, indescribable. Keep coming back Rob!
Old 12-11-2017, 01:30 PM

The guitar has changed my life. The guitar has become my life. Like so many, I started with the guitar as a young kid and was influenced by an uncle. Like most people, my tastes evolved as I made progress on the instrument. Classic rock and metal evolved into fingerstyle, progressive rock, fusion, jazz, and even classical. The guitar and a circle of musical friends got me through the tough years of middle and high school. Nearly becoming a high school drop out, the guitar was what unexpectedly got me into college.

I was fortunate enough to have extensive remedial training from someone honest and bold enough to tell me what I needed in order to get where I wanted to go. Playing professionally and study with world class artists soon followed prior to deciding to take my education all the way.

Those experiences made me the teacher I am today. Having the privilege of working with students who share some of my same passions is one of the greatest things in my life. No amount of money could ever take me from working with my students. And it all started decades ago with an uncle cranking out Grand Funk Railroad.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Earl49;5564323]Since the fret work is usually more intricate, I've never understood why using the left hand to fret in somehow considered to be "right handed guitar", using the non-dominant hand to do the heavy lifting. Finger style might be a different animal.... my right hand does a lot of fancy stuff there too.

The first idea that hit me about your comment is it is somewhat like holding/shooting a rifle. Aim with the left arm, fire with the right hand. It just popped in my brain while reading. I am right handed, play guitar right handed, do almost everything right handed, except anything to do with throwing. Bowling, dealing cards, throwing a ball all left handed. But I am naturally right handed. Cheers!

PS, I didn't do the quote thing quite right, the first paragraph was supposed to be a quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Playing guitar has gave me a great way to pass the time and have fun Has made me laugh every time some has asked if I play with a band cause there is just no good way to say "no I play with myself" without at least giggling. Also it's kept me to broke to get into drugs and other things that could ruin a person
Old 12-11-2017, 01:48 PM

I started playing guitar at age 53 - 11 years ago:

1) It gave me the gift of music, which I had always had an interest in, but I consumed it and never made my own music.
2) It kept me young. I love seeing the look on people's faces when I tell them I'm doing Open Mics.
3) It let me use my skills in woodworking and electronics in a wholly different way.
4) It introduced me to tons of new people and let me experience the fun of an immersive workshop.
5) It's been a very reasonably priced hobby when compared with other hobbies like throwing money at a hole in the water (boating) or chasing after little white balls in a park-like setting.
6) I have guitar shops all mapped out when we are traveling and I need a fix. Similarly, there's nothing like a luthier's workshop or a guitar factory!
7) It's provided my nephew with a lot of great hand-me-down gear and guitars. I daresay, I'm his favorite uncle!

And oh yeah - then there's the Woodstock Showcase - wowzah.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 PM

It has probably kept me from committing homicide a time or two. Which is a good thing. I look terrible in orange.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Many wonderful stories here.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 PM

Helped me overcome stress and keeping my grey hairs away
Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
iT TAUGHT ME LOTS OF NEW WAYS TO SPEND MONEY
Ha! Post of the day!

Lots of great stories everyone. Thanks
Old 12-16-2017, 05:30 PM

Also,being left handed doesn't help much....

"In The Wind"
Old 12-24-2017, 12:02 PM

It has caused me to spend a great deal of $$ over the years! But... I have really enjoyed playing music. Played in church for about 10 years and that was a great experience. Its a great lifetime hobby to enjoy.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

At almost 61, I look back and see a fulfilled but tough road. My wife and I beat the odds and made it this far after 42 years together. Throughout that journey, I’ve always had something to decompress with. From marathon and triathlon competitions, to long distance hiking, to hunting, and currently Cave Diving, a constant has always been the guitar and making music. Life is ephemeral by its very nature, but making music is a constant that I’ll always have. I’ve never made a dime from it, but I’ve been at it constantly from 14 or so until now and I see no end in sight.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 12-25-2017, 11:56 AM

Since restarting my guitar hobby 4 years ago, it has:

1) Made me understand the value of discipline and patience...improvement comes slowly and only through effort
2) Made me comfortable with the idea that music isn’t about being perfect, and this was transformative. Where I previously wouldn’t share my ‘ok’ voice with anyone, I now share it with hundreds.
3) Along the same lines, I’ve been able to look into a crowd and see on their faces the joy that music brings, a sight I could only imagine when I was in the audience.

Martin 000-28EC (1996?)
Seagull Natural Elements (2012)
Taylor 814ce (2014)
Old 12-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Playing guitar has done three things for me.

1) It's brought me joy and satisfaction
2) It has brought me frustration and disappointment
3) It has made my wallet a little thinner and a little thicker at times.
Ditto for me!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion