The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I lean towards the Seagull, but honestly they are all so close in quality & tone.

I'd need to play all 3 of them in person to make that decision.

Having said that... You can't go wrong with any of 'em.
Thanks guys. Have to decide today since it's the last day I can return the Yamaha.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM

I'm not a fan of Cedar topped guitars so that would rule out most seagulls.
The Yamaha has an edge over the Alvarez to my ear.

I have suggested the Yamaha to a lot of people that are very happy with it.
Amazon has a great special for the Yamaha including a hard case.
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Rosewo...SIN=B01CPGIUOE
Old 12-12-2017, 04:56 PM

Well, I ended up picking the Seagull Entourage Rustic dread!

I went to the store and tried the mini jumbo again and I just liked the fuller sound of the dread. The min does play really nice though, but I thought the Entourage Rustic had a better sound.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Well, I ended up picking the Seagull Entourage Rustic dread!

I went to the store and tried the mini jumbo again and I just liked the fuller sound of the dread. The min does play really nice though, but I thought the Entourage Rustic had a better sound.
Great choice!
Old 12-12-2017, 07:05 PM

Fg830. But I'm late
Old 12-12-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Fg830. But I'm late
You're not late. I still have my FG830 and have until Jan 31 to return it. I am going to compare it to the Seagull
Old 12-12-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
You're not late. I still have my FG830 and have until Jan 31 to return it. I am going to compare it to the Seagull
I tried the seagull and FG830 before I got my Yamaha LL6. Both good but liked the 830 better. Decided to up the game and get the LL6. Wish I had gotten the 830. Like others have said, cant go wrong with either.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryblues75 View Post
I would get the Seagull, no doubt about it: the mini jumbo size is very comfortable to play, but still has a good bass response.
Moreover, i think cedar top plus wild cherry b/s combo gives the guitar a nice, clear sound, which is particularly good for fingerstyle.
I also love the simple look of the Seagull Entourage MJ, because of its nice burst and NO super-thick poly finish you often get in chinese guitars at this price point.
Last but not least, i love the Seagull neck shape and satin finish.
I own all three brands, albeit not the ones you are looking at!

I'd say I prefer Seagull over Yamaha. But that's "me". Mine is a cedar top. With D'Addario EXP 16 PB Coated Lights, I can strum pretty aggressively, and the fingerpicking is absolutely brilliant. My Alvarez is a very under-rated guitar, and not what you are looking at - but you really can't go wrong, with a Seagull. And your $ stays on the continent!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 AM

There are good deals on the Seagull Mini-jumbo's because they are discontinuing that shape and moving to the Concert Hall shape.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 AM

I've owned an Alvarez dread (not the same one you're mentioning), the Seagull entourage rustic mini jumbo, and a yamaha fg730s. I think if I had kept any of them it would have been the alvarez, simply based on the nut. I've discovered that I heavily prefer a 1.75 nut.

Sound-wise they all were excellent for the price. If I was choosing only on sound, I would have kept the yamaha, just because I mostly strum -- but it's a close call.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:39 AM

I had an Alvarez I had to return, it was a 6 string, really nice, but the neck was just too small for my sausage fingers, never played a Seagull, but I am partial to Yammy's, my first, (no Barry White song here ) was an FG300 in 1971 I saved up $150.00 and went crazy in Manhatten, and I did just buy a Yammy LL16R12 A.R.E but nowhere near the price your talking. My advice is you have to play all three of them and chose which ever one you like the best !!!
Old 12-13-2017, 06:49 AM

One of the advantages of the Seagulls are MOST (but not all) have a 1.80" wide nut with a 1.50" string spacing.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGull View Post
There are good deals on the Seagull Mini-jumbo's because they are discontinuing that shape and moving to the Concert Hall shape.
Yes they are all on clearance at guitar center. They say they aren't carrying that model anymore. But isn't the concert hall shape much smaller than a dread? Seems like a big gap between those two?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Yes they are all on clearance at guitar center. They say they aren't carrying that model anymore. But isn't the concert hall shape much smaller than a dread? Seems like a big gap between those two?
The Concert Hall shape seems to be close to the Folk size, which they've also mostly obsoleted. I've only had one Seagull Mini-jumbo and I liked the shape. I'm not a fan of the typical dread "boom" and the large waist that doesn't stay on your knee as well.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:50 AM

I've owned a seagull 12 string but sold it due to its thin neck. I found my long fingers couldn't cleanly finger chords. The width of Seagull necks are wonderful but they just aren't thick or "fat" enough for me (I can palm a basketball so I need big fat guitar necks). I own the Alvarez you listed, albeit the model with electronics, and love that guitar. If I'd come across this thread earlier, I would have encouraged you to get the Alvarez but since YOU are playing it, it has to appeal to you and fit YOUR hands.

Glad you found one that speaks to you and is good to play!

Best,
PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion