The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Default I got to try the new Taylor V-Class braced guitars (with video)

In Portland this week and braved the snow to get to the Taylor event at Portland Music Co last night. I know that the title of this thread alone will spawn fury in a lot of people here. So I will say this. The new guitars are nice. Better than X Braced Taylor's? Umm...they're different. I really like the new V-braced 914ce, it's a dream guitar. But I'll probably have to wait until the V bracing hits the lower series models to afford one, if one should float my boat. In the next year or two all USA Taylors will be V braced anyway so get used to it. My favorite guitar of the night? A standard 512ce that the store had in stock.

Here's a video of the Builder's edition and the new 914ce. Hard to hear them with all the background noise.

Last edited by erivel; 02-21-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:53 AM

Nice video! Thanks!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:03 PM

Thanks. Good test of the guitar.

Can you expand on how the tone of the V braced guitar differed?

Someone mentioned it has a more Martin-like tone. Which I take to mean maybe a deeper bass and more "woody". A darker tone?
Did you notice that, or does it still sound like a Taylor?
Old 02-21-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post

Someone mentioned it has a more Martin-like tone. Which I take to mean maybe a deeper bass and more "woody". A darker tone?
A technical point that I think needs to be mentioned: If a Martin guitar ( or other brand) is tuned to E and a Taylor guitar (or other brand) is so tuned, neither will have a deeper bass than 82.41 Hz– the frequency of the low E – though one or the other guitar may have a louder low E.

Also, an illusion of a stronger bass can sometimes occur when one guitar has a more muted high frequency response than the other. In other words, a bright sounding guitar could reproduce the low E as loudly as a warmer guitar but the warmer guitar may give the illusion of having a louder low E response.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 PM

Sounds nice!

Sounds like a Taylor!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 PM

It seems to me that the higher neck notes have lost that different "voicing" or timbre I think we often speak about with playing same notes different places on the neck. That could be a good think or bad.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
neither will have a deeper bass than 82.41 Hz– the frequency of the low E – though one or the other guitar may have a louder low E.
Thanks for the acoustics lesson. And here I've been thinking all along that the low E on a Martin was 81.96 Hz.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:11 PM

I have tried a couple of these new V-braced Taylors over the weekend and my initial impression was mixed. The jury is still out for me. I'll be back to try them out some more.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:46 PM

I was able to play a V-braced K24 today, in a very quiet room with a nice acoustic, thanks to the kind offices of the good folks at Reidys of Blackburn, Lancashire (one of my favourite places on the planet).

The older X-braced K24 is one of the loveliest guitars I've ever played, and this V-braced version was up there along with that, with an extra bonus: the treble was exquisitely 'sweet' - like liquid gold. Super-tuneful. I don't know how else to describe it, but it was as if certain additional not-quite-so-pleasant overtones had been shaken out.

I wasn't able to compare it directly with a 'traditional' K24, but I don't recall the traditional K24 having this particular character. This was an almost unplayed guitar, still a bit stiff, and I think that showed when I tried to play hard. I certainly want to spend more time with one of these, and I don't think the hype was actually hype.

Last edited by N+1; 02-22-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:57 PM

Nicely done!
Thank you
Old 02-21-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post

I don't know. I think it still sounds like a Taylor. Maybe less overtones (?). Like notes just rang true and clear. As far as sustain, I couldn't tell really because of all the room noise. But that doesn't really make a difference to me, I'm not holding a note for eternity like Carlos Santana, nor do I strum a chord once until it completely decays before switching chords during a song. I did feel that the higher I got on the fretboard the notes sounded louder, especially on the Builder's edition. And I really dig the squeakless satin finish on it as well.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a good guitar to me. I like the rounded binding. I don't hear anything really different from the old bracing.

Ignorance is bliss sometimes, lol.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-21-2018, 11:49 PM

I'm not diggin it. Sounded even thinner than normal Taylors sound to me and that's not good. They have missed a huge opportunity to me personally. They had a chance to make a guitar sound better and even bigger and they blew it.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:53 AM

I agree with a lot of you. I’ve heard some and they still sound like Taylor’s. Which to me is not a complement. I’ve worked in music stores for almost 20 years in some aspect and they’ve always carried Taylor’s . I’m just not a huge fan. It is a spectacular company but as for the actual instruments I just think they lack soul and vibe.

I’m sure this is a topic that has been beaten to death. And I’m sure I will get flamed like crazy for saying this. But just saying at this time in relation to the new design still sounds pretty much the same to me. Soulless
Old 02-22-2018, 02:54 AM

That being said they are one of the best companies in the entire guitar business and their customer service and their service with the dealers is exemplary. A lot of people love those guitars I’m just not one of them. They also sometimes have the best tuning machines in the business!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion