The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Meh. How many slightly different copies of 80-year-old guitars do we really need? Authentic, vintage, reissue, classic, traditional, etc ad infinitum. There's so much more that can be done with wood, steel, and carbon fiber than rehashes of past models.

I'm glad some companies are trying new things at scale.
Bingo !

Try stuff. Use your OWN brains and hands to come up with something new. Innovate. Experiment. I want to be surprised by guitars, not told over and over that "It's all been done before. " and " The best years of building were about 80 years ago. " .
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 02-18-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehimagic View Post
he made the direct statement that by the end of 2018 all GA's from the 300 series up will have the new V bracing.
For me, I think this statement carries the most significance. As someone with more, ahem, limited means, I must say I appreciate that Taylor is willing to make the new bracing available on the more affordable models as well, and it's perhaps telling that they're willing to commit to such an extent at this introductory phase. I'll certainly be interested in trying the new models when they make their way out to these parts, and as with everything, only time can tell as to whether or not it's a success.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
What would you like to see in the way of innovation?

I plan to spend part of this year seeking out CF guitars. Need one for road trips. To me, CF is new. Might not like them.

What would be new to you? Why would you need it?

Do we need reinterpretations of pianos and flutes? A better drum?
We already have new interpretions of keyboards and drums especially, and in that same vain, you can dial in a flute or an orchestra with some technical skills on top of some music knowledge.

I’ve played some nice CF guitars recently. I do however have a mental block preference for wood — the sound and feel (Imagined or real?), though I think this is where it will go as the guitar survives time. I will probably replace my GS Mini with a full size CF guitar soon though. I killed another guitar bouncing between Austin blaze and Sierra winter weather over the last 8 years.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-18-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
I will probably replace my GS Mini with a full size CF guitar soon though. I killed another guitar bouncing between Austin blaze and Sierra winter weather over the last 8 years.
Good thoughts.

But nothing here suggests that progress will preclude a need or a desire for both.

At least I would hope that to be the case.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
What would you like to see in the way of innovation?

I plan to spend part of this year seeking out CF guitars. Need one for road trips. To me, CF is new. Might not like them.

What would be new to you? Why would you need it?

Do we need reinterpretations of pianos and flutes? A better drum?
Lots of things (some of which Taylor is already doing).

Bevels
CF reinforcements
CF / wood bracing
Different wood species
Multi-scale
Different body shapes and sizes
Stainless steel frets as standard
New bracing styles (e.g. Boaz Elkayam, Bills, Klein, Edwinson)
Extra strings
Quick change tuners
New bridge plate designs
More to the point: things that haven't been done before!

Why would I need it?

Why does anyone need anything? Do you really need electricity, computers, automobiles, indoor plumbing?

New tones, new / more comfortable ways of playing, new esthetics, more durable guitars, who knows.

If CF Martin hadn't been an innovator, we wouldn't have those legendary guitars everybody is replicating. The world didn't freeze in the 1930s. Those designs aren't the only way to make a guitar. I welcome new developments because some of them make a real difference.

Slavishly repeating the past is not my idea of a good time.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Do you really need electricity, computers, automobiles, indoor plumbing?
Great response. It was a serious question.

It's going down to -11 degrees tonight here in Laramie, so while I don't absolutely need indoor plumbing, it is greatly appreciated.

And I think that the piano was a great improvement over the harpsichord -- so I erred on that score.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:04 AM

This reminds me of the launch of the New Coke by Coca Cola when they changed the formula for their drink in order to try to revitalise their brand but they ended up alienating and angering their customers. As a result, only a short time later, Coca Cola brought back the old formula and today, the new formula Coke is no longer sold in USA. The unintended upshot of that was that Coca Cola actually became more successful sas a result of that fiasco due to the American public realising its emotional and cultural attachment to Coca Cola.

By phasing out their entire upmarket range that is X braced for the V class braced guitars, Taylor is playing with fire because it is alienating its customer base that has learned to love its guitar tone with a new tonal profile that they may or may not liike. It is doubtful that Taylor has the same cultural heft that Coca Cola has, and so there is no guarantee that if the experiment fails, that Taylor customers will return to the company if they bring back the old x bracing, or will they transfer their GAS to other brands of guitar all too eager and willing to cater to what they want?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:05 AM

I was going to buy a Taylor 324e this year, but now I will wait until next year or even 2020. I want mine with the new bracing!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
This reminds me of the launch of the New Coke by Coca Cola when they changed the formula for their drink in order to try to revitalise their brand but they ended up alienating and angering their customers. As a result, only a short time later, Coca Cola brought back the old formula and today, the new formula Coke is no longer sold in USA. The unintended upshot of that was that Coca Cola actually became more successful sas a result of that fiasco due to the American public realising its emotional and cultural attachment to Coca Cola.
Except that Coke didn't really bring back its "classic" Coke - it brought back something slightly different still and called it "classic" and it sold well because of its "retro" marketing, when it was, in fact, a new-New Coke.

Look, we're all debating guitar construction, as we are wont to do, when the reality is that when we try out a guitar, we either like it or we don't, for very personal reasons, regardless of its construction. The bracing undoubtedly makes a difference, but that's not why we buy a guitar. I'm on record as not preferring Taylors, but - if I tried one, regardless of not knowing (or caring) at all what the bracing inside was or had been before, and liked it - then, well, I'd buy a Taylor. It's kinda that simple.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrick View Post
I was going to buy a Taylor 324e this year, but now I will wait until next year or even 2020. I want mine with the new bracing!
And hopefully - if some forum members fears come true - by that time I'll buy an old bracing Taylor on the cheap since nobody will want them!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Before we had the chance to personally play the instruments, one of the attendees asked the rep to play an 814ce DLX to compare it to the 914ce V Braced he had with him. Although the 914ce was noticeably louder (strumming??). the 814ce DLX was much much clearer and articulate. Truly the "Taylor Sound" we have grown to enjoy over the years. Sorry for the poor layperson descriptor but that's the best way I can describe it. Now to the reps defense, he didn't want to do it the comparison, up to and including asking the audience if the wanted him to do it, and was kind of forced into it. Mistake..... I think the most telling comment of the evening was after you did the comparison and asked (and I am paraphrasing) "what did you think?" and the only response was from a woman in the front row who said, "it was louder."

I went into this process looking for a new guitar...I think I found it, the 814ce DLX.....before they change to the new V bracing.,
I was the guy asking for the 814ce comparison and I got the exact opposite thought about the guitars. The 914ce was clearly more articulate and louder. Maybe it sounded that way because I was farther away but in my view it sounded better. I am sure Taylor will be happy for you to buy the 814ce. I will wait a year to see how the rest of the line plays with the new bracing
2015 Martin D-28A 1937
2016 Taylor 458e-r
Old 02-19-2018, 09:19 AM

Is this New Coke Part 2... Gutsy move by Taylor if they do go all in on the V Brace.
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
And hopefully - if some forum members fears come true - by that time I'll buy an old bracing Taylor on the cheap since nobody will want them!
Hmmm...good point. Maybe I'll wait a couple years and buy one with the old bracing for a lot less $$!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
...Perhaps the In & Out burger of the guitar industry, a good meal at a good price but it is what it is. The other a builder of some of the finest instruments I've ever heard, analogous to Michelin rated Five star cuisine
I'm not crazy about their marketing either, but to equate Taylor to In & Out Burger seems pretty harsh and over the top, doesn't it? Good grief.
2014 Martin CEO-7 (#50)
1951 Martin 00-17 (in the family since new!), 1900ish Washburn Parlor (Braz and Adi)
Seagull Coastline Folk
Gretsch Honey Dipper
Taylor BT2 that I drag along on countless business trips and for some inexplicable reason have spent a small fortune pimping out
Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Secondly and most importantly, he made the direct statement that by the end of 2018 all GA's from the 300 series up will have the new V bracing.
This makes me now wonder if the V Bracing is much more simple/less expensive to manufacture. If they can save just a little bit here and there, then this could be a cost cutting move from Taylor. The fact that ALL guitars will have this bracing tells me, the consumer, that they are willing to hang their hat on a change that hasn't even seen real market feedback yet.

They marketed the heck out of V bracing, and now within a month they are set to convert every guitar over to it? Sounds to me like Taylor saves money on this great "innovation."

Sorry guys, Taylor has just lost me on this one. Andy is a beautiful mind, but this feels like a Bob Taylor move to save wood, cost, and time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion