The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-11-2018, 04:52 PM

Songbook on an android tablet for the last 5 years. Recommended.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Default LyricPad

I've used LyricPad for about 5 years on my Samsung Android Tablet. Works for me.

Another band member uses OnSong on the Ipad. Works for him.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:39 PM

Can you cut and past lyrics and chords from another chord site into onsong? Like chordie, etc?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:52 PM

Default Microsoft Surface Pro

and MobileSheets software. This thing has a big screen, almost as large as a sheet of letter paper. I know people love their Macs, but if you're a PC person like me you can't beat the Surface Pro for music display. MobileSheets isn't the most powerful software around, but the price is right and it's dead simple and all I need to display my music in PDF form. I also use a PageFlip bluetooth foot pedal to change pages. So far the whole thing is reliable and a lot better than carrying around 5 or 6 binders full of music.
Dick
Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 PM

Default iPad Pro n OnSong n dropbox

iPad pro(easy to read full page) Dropbox for pc edit n import to onsong, OnSong is very easy to use once u get the protocol down. You make your sets n off you go. Don’t remember the mic stand holder for iPad but got it on amazon.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

I have a iPad Pro, but have used a variety of models since the original. It is basically a match made in heaven .... probably my favorite tech tool for music because of the portability and limitless storage and search capabilities. My main app for storage is DropBox, becauase I put everything in there, and for original material I use Evernote for writing and recording ideas (it’s not HQ quality, but can write out an idea and record progression or melody lines and vocals ... but, I
am really liking Apple Music Memos for that too now, and it easily transfers into Garageband or Logic tracks).

From DropBox, I load set and other playlists into Songbook, though I have been playing with Onsong for a couple years. Songbook is a bit more straight forward while Onsong seems to be boiling the Pacific these days, but I need to give it a proper fair trial. I use a lot of other iOS app/tools, but that’s a different thread I guess.

I use a K&M mic stand holder, which works well ...

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-11-2018, 11:22 PM

12.1" Samsung, Mobilesheets, and Airturn Manos. Works like a dream.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:46 PM

I use OpenSong. It's a free app for android but It works on other platforms.

It has far more capabilities than I use it for, which is mostly to download or enter songs, and then edit and store them as I learn and memorize them.

Check it out...

http://www.opensong.org
Old 02-11-2018, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

iPad Pro 12”? (The biggest one), OnSong, AirTurn duo pedal. I make TAB in GuitarPro 6 and export as a PDF to OnSong.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 AM

Another faithful Ipad (2017) and Onsong user. Been using the same setup since 2013. I have been through umpteen releases of Onsong since then and it keeps improving each time. I use it for leading worship and for the occasional coffee shop or nursing home gig. I use a bluetooth page turner by http://www.pageflip.com/ and have no issues. I highly recommend.
Taylor 214ce DLX (Sunburst)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

I only use my iPad for lyrics while I am learning the song and am still internalizing the lyrics; I don't use it in performance. I use a program called "Setlist" since it allows for page advance with a Blutooth foot pedal. I do have a mic stand iPad holder but it was whatever was cheapest on Amazon. They all work.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 AM

I've had onsong since it first came out (I think it was one-time $11 purchase). I'm using it on both an iPad mini and an old ipad2. Pretty easy to see on both, as you can adjust font to what you need.
You can copy and paste from most common chord sites, organize and edit the song. It will also handle PDFs, they are just not editable. It'll give you a chord diagram (multiple instruments incl) with just a tap on the chord name (or make all the chords diagrams appear on the page). You can also tap for instant transposing. There's a scroller (tho I usually get on one page) or you can add on a page flipper wireless foot pedal. You can organize into sets and share sets with band mates.
I use a basic mic stand and my Talents IClaw. It screws right into the top thread and iPad snaps in securely. It's also unobtrusive onstage (black screen also helpful on stage! If you don't want that white glow). I wouldn't use a music stand, it's too easy for someone to jostles it and crash it goes.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:25 AM

I use Setlist Maker on an iPad 2 with an IK Multimedia iPad holder attached to my mic stand. Flexible configuration options. Six years no problems. Author is attentive to emails, and my other two band mates use it as well.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Yet another iPad and OnSong user
I particularly like the being able to do the black background with white lettering (for poor stage lighting situations) and auto scrolling , since I use fairly large font size and always have the chord names in between the lines of lyrics and most songs are more than what fit on the ipad screen.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch2017 View Post
Occasionally I perform acoustic gigs, and I want to move from printed tab in a binder, to a tablet with some kind of software so that I can easily pull up a tune and place the tunes in order for the set that is being played.

Looking for input on 3 things:
1. What tablet are you using? (I am familiar with iPad).
2. What software for music management? (Does the app manage storage of files?)
3. What tablet holder (that attaches to the mic stand) is best?

Thanks in advance as I slowly move into the 21st century!!

Winch
Hi Winch

I use:
  • iPad Air (first one) - I've had 3 iPads altogether since my first one & probably next year I'll bump up to the 12" Pro model.
  • Unrealbook (pdf files) - very simple, well supported (I've consistently gotten email answers within an hour)
  • Usually it just goes on a music stand, though I have an arm with a spring loaded clip on it for the iPad which clamps to a music stand. I'm going to upgrade that arm to a better one someday.

I've tried OnSong (which has grown to a bloated beast and is pretty complex) and ForScore which is for people who read scores (jumps to various parts of the score as needed when you pre-mark and prepare them). I like Unrealbook because it's point-n-shoot simple.

OnSong sells the screen reverse like they invented it (background black with white letters) - but EVERY iPad can do that on any app with a triple-click of the home button and choose it from the drop down (it's one of the accessibility features). I use it that way so it doesn't turn into a spotlight when they lower stage lights, and because at age 69 I can read that better on stage.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 02-12-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: corrected a sentence

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic