The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-06-2018, 09:47 AM

Thick, heavy hand or foot cream like Bag Balm. Many other great products out there as well. I put this on before bed and then a pair of latex gloves as needed when I feel my hands drying out. I deliberately leave logs to cut up during winter for firewood which make me exercise outside more in the snowy season. When I work outside I put on a lite amount of hand lotion and then the latex gloves. Then I put on a pair of work gloves. I also keep lotion in my car so I can put it on occasionally while I'm out and about. This seems extreme, but since I started doing all these things, my fingers haven't cracked since, and I've had this issue since I started doing hard , outdoor labor and winter sports, over 40 years ago.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52 AM

Hello Karen.

I frequently have the same problem when I climb and camp in high-altitudes for days. Due to ultra-low humidity, the only cream that worked so far is the Blue Goo (https://dothegoo.com/shop/footcare/c...els-and-hands/) You can find it at Walmart (the good one for hands is in the tin can). The trick is to apply the cream before bed and sleep with gloves (fleece or cotton).

Last edited by Orfeas; 02-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:02 AM

Try Aveeno skin relief hand cream. Works great for me. DON’T use the Eucerin advanced hand cream, for some reason that makes the splits worse.

Use rubber gloves when washing dishes. Always reapply hand cream after washing your hands.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:09 AM

I keep an emory board in my pocket at all times. If I get a little bit of peeling of my callus I will file it. I also file the dead skin around my fingers that I don't need for fretting strings. Keeping my dry skin thickness in check and then moisturizing helps me avoid cracking skin. I also have a tube of lip balm for my lips with me all the time. I will use some of that on my fingers when I don't have anything else handy.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 AM

I get bad cracks in the thickened skin on my heels, so I started using Flexitol Heel Balm. I use it every day in the winter, and every other day in the summer. Putting it on with my bare hands seems to help, and don't be in a hurry to wash it off.

My second choice is Eucerin Intensive Repair lotion, which also works well. Both are kept handy when I get out of the shower.

And like Jimmer, I need to sand my finger tip callouses, especially if I'm playing a lot. I use foam sanding blocks, medium-fine grit, for that. Keep one in the car and on the side table next to my TV chair.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:21 PM

As a woodworker I’m all too familiar with split skin on finger tips. I’ve tried a bunch of different lotions and haven’t found any that fully prevent it, but working with wood all day in the winter not sure it can be prevented. I’ve started to shy away from lotions this year. I’ve gone to all natural products like olive and coconut oil. No chemicals and way cheaper than the fancy hand creams I’ve been using. In the morning put a little on your hands and rub it in for a couple minutes and wipe off extra with a paper towel before running out the door. In the evening when I have time i use a bit more and don’t wipe off. After several minutes it will absorb completely. So far I’d say they work at least as well as the hand creams and probably a little better.
Of course I still get plenty of splits, for those I use one of the liquid skin products. Usually two or three coats to protect it enough.
Good luck,
Jeff
Old 02-06-2018, 12:34 PM

I often have very dry skin in the winter. Jorgen's extra healing formula is great stuff, as is Neutrogena Norwegian formula. Most important is to use it at bedtime, so that it has several hours to work with no exposure to water. It's also helpful to use it before using gloves for any task.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 02-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I rub chapstick or a similar lip balm on the cracks around my thunbnails and Eucerin Advanced Repair. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a silver bullet for this problem. It's just something I manage until Spring.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

New Skin liquid bandage works on the small cracks. It takes a couple of coats to seal and protect the spot. I've just started using it this year and am pleased with the results. Before discovering New Skin, I would put a little Neosporin on the crack then dab super glue over it to seal it. That works, but the New Skin is as effective and you don't have to worry about gluing your fingers together!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:17 PM

About 10 years ago I went thru horrible times with cracks and bleeding. Its better now but when I have trouble the best was and is this;

http://www.guitarhands.com/

until they get better this will help as well

http://www.rock-tips.com/
Old 02-06-2018, 02:28 PM

The cracks are caused by lack of moisture. You have to keep the cracked area moist so that the skin is supple and won't crack. When the skin is dry and hard it can pull apart and cracks can form.

This solution sounds overly simple but it gets rid of cracks in a few days and stops the hurt almost immediately:
Cover the crack with a "Band-Aid Plastic" bandaid
Lift up the fabric area and run water onto the fabric and cracked area
Do this whenever you wash your hands to keep the fabric wet
The plastic keeps the moisture in and slows the evaporation
After a few days, take the bandaid off.
Your skin will look like a white prune for a short while and your crack will be gone
Old 02-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

So many great ideas! I will look into them all. . I'm intrigued by the "guitar hands" products. I don't see a list of ingredients so I emailed the company and hopefully will receive a reply. I've always wondered about cotton gloves. Do you have to wash the gloves each time after wearing them? Thanks for all your "handy" ideas.
Karen
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-06-2018, 04:31 PM

I get this too. Have mild eczema and dry skin on hands at times. Really impacts my fretting hand as I try to keep the nails on that hand real short to effectively meet the strings. Get cracks under the nail. Tough to use lotion close to when you play I find, as excessive oils get all over the guitar.

Try cotton gloves at night while you sleep after applying a good moisturizer. Helps skin recover more quickly.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:56 PM

All the advice above is good. But to add to it, I have the same symptoms and I live on the Canadian west coast where it just gets more humid in the winter. Had a doc tell me long ago that I had eczema in my hands. I now use Aveeno -- the one in the tube with the pale blue cap that says it is for eczema. See if it works for you. I'm sure there are other "over the counter" lotions that are similar.

Rick
Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 AM

In addition to O’Keefe’s I like Burt’s Bees for hands. Pretty hard almost like wax (natch), but you rub across the surface and it sort of melts. Rub around on your hands and you’re good to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic