The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Just to add a bit to this I must say that given no option but to listen to the music choices being played by the younger people at my watering hole I find it interesting. The no option thing added to my limited knowledge and experience has given me a chance to listen with new ears to their choices. Some of the songs are so well written that they couldn't help but be hits. They are like nursery rhymes, think red solo cups. Not my cup of tea but in the art of pop song writing it can't be beat. Other tunes I can hear guitar solos and sounds from the different recording time periods. They are done well it just seems the vibe or spirit of them don't grab me.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Just to add a bit to this I must say that given no option but to listen to the music choices being played by the younger people at my watering hole I find it interesting. The no option thing added to my limited knowledge and experience has given me a chance to listen with new ears to their choices. Some of the songs are so well written that they couldn't help but be hits. They are like nursery rhymes, think red solo cups. Not my cup of tea but in the art of pop song writing it can't be beat. Other tunes I can hear guitar solos and sounds from the different recording time periods. They are done well it just seems the vibe or spirit of them don't grab me.
One thing I think us Boomers have a hard time with is .... We started listening in what could be described to some extent as a "Perfect Storm"
For one Rock and Roll was new and the old school Music particularly the record /radio music industry had some really positive aspects going for it, that have since fallen by the wayside to some extent.

One was the major labels and radio while still certainly "a business" was populated by a significant number of musicians . Who were willing to take a chance and develop new artists with new sounds and they were willing to spend the time to develop these artists for a 3 of 4 albums worth of music.

And second as listeners the music we had access to on records or radio was highly filtered and such the cream of crop for the most part was getting to the public

Now days the labels and radio are largely part of huge entertainment conglomerates , that are largely populated by corporate bus.exec's, corporate bean counters , and lawyers. And many are strictly formula driven.

There is in fact absolutely great music being written recorded and performed today but the access to it is sometimes so fragmented that much is lost in the galaxie of possible venues

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-05-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You can only feel sorry for the benighted kids!Next thing you know they'll ask what writing is.
I fear this is more factual than most would think. They no longer teach cursive writing where I live.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You can only feel sorry for the benighted kids! Next thing you know they'll ask what writing is.

There is actually a movement among the universities in favor of NOT making students write long research papers.

As far as the OP is concerned, don't sweat it. There are so many choices for entertainment now, the idea of mass media is dead.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
I fear this is more factual than most would think. They no longer teach cursive writing where I live.
With word processing why would they ? Other than calligraphy it was never intended to be an art form, it was a means of communicating written information quickly .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 02-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
With word processing why would they ? Other than calligraphy it was never intended to be an art form, it was a means of communicating written information quickly .
That makes perfect sense! I'm glad that I read this. I've wondered from time to time why my youngest son (22) was never taught to write script in elementary school. It isn't needed anymore.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-06-2018, 04:53 PM

I see plenty of handwritten notes from one person in the office to another, plenty of people at a presentation or a meeting or a brainstorming session taking notes with a #2 pencil & a legal pad.

Probably not a good idea to assume that any decision made by the local school board is based upon practical real-world considerations.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My mother taught me to read and write at a very early I had a beautiful cursive script with my left hand before I started school at 4-5 years. Because they thought Left-handedness was "wrong" they beat it out of me.
Now I write with my right hand but it is pretty awful.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I respectfully disagree, ans so would all those many monks and Friars who spent years creating illuminated scripts that are still in our museums and libraries.

So would many calligraphers.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:51 PM

I was in Guitar Center one day playing part of Asturias by Albéniz as a way of trying out one of the guitars on display when a teenager approached and asked, “isn’t that Spanish Caravan by The Doors?”

I was surprised that a millennial was that well-versed in The Doors’ music.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I see plenty of handwritten notes from one person in the office to another, plenty of people at a presentation or a meeting or a brainstorming session taking notes with a #2 pencil & a legal pad.

Probably not a good idea to assume that any decision made by the local school board is based upon practical real-world considerations.
Who said anything about not learning to hand write ? This was about formal cursive writing.

Kids obviously should still learn write but hand printing or block lettering, is arguably more quickly learned and more intelligible than bad cursive.
Most likely the majority of those office memos and hand notes people make today are stylized block lettering . And why even back in the "good old days" was always taught prior to cursive writing

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-06-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I respectfully disagree, ans so would all those many monks and Friars who spent years creating illuminated scripts that are still in our museums and libraries.

So would many calligraphers.
Respectfully I am pretty sure I mentioned calligraphy as an exception already
And speaking for the long dead is wild speculation at best , and as such, I can just as accurately state, those monks would have loved a word processing keyboard .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-06-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I was in Guitar Center one day playing part of Asturias by Albéniz as a way of trying out one of the guitars on display when a teenager approached and asked, “isn’t that Spanish Caravan by The Doors?”

I was surprised that a millennial was that well-versed in The Doors’ music.
My daughter is an older "millennial' and would be quite familiar with a lot of 60's music, by osmosis if nothing else

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-06-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
My mother taught me to read and write at a very early I had a beautiful cursive script with my left hand before I started school at 4-5 years. Because they thought Left-handedness was "wrong" they beat it out of me.
Now I write with my right hand but it is pretty awful.
I'm left handed as well, but when I started school in the 50's there was a "movement" to teach everyone to write right handed. My writing has always been terrible.

The good news is that I learned to play guitar right handed and likely saved myself some money by not needing the lefty option all these years.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Who said anything about not learning to hand write ? This was about formal cursive writing.
The term "cursive writing" means hand writing, with connected letters, as opposed to hand printing. It absolutely is not synonymous with "calligraphy".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursive

Ghostpicker did not use the word "formal", and nothing in Ghostpicker's post implies that he means anything other than writing by hand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic